Sheared top cap on fork rebound adjust

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
In tonight's home mechanic session, i have managed in all retardness to shear off the bolt attached to the rebound adjuster (top cap) on my fox van 36 fork. Hence, there remaining part of the bolt is still stuck in the very small diameter hole in the forks damping assembly.
I have two ideas for recovering this:
1. The metal is quite soft, so tap in the tip of a flathead screwdriver with a hammer, and hope to create enough of an indent in the top of the sheared bolt that i can get purchase with said screwdriver and unscrew the bolt
2. Purchase a 'screw extractor' and use this. However, given that it is a small diameter bolt (and having not used a screw extractor before), i am not sure if this will work.

Any tips/advice on this or other more effective ideas?

Also, assuming i can recover the situation, will i be able to get a replacement top cap from fox, or will it be better to source an appropriate sized screw and use this ghetto style rebound adjust?

Cheers

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
If the newer ones are anything like my older foxs i reckon you'd be able to just drill it out and tap a slightly larger hole, save spending too much anyway. Don't think you'd get an ez-out in there, plus i've had more of them snap off creating a bigger problem than i already originally had. Also would start bashing a screwdriver in there, save screwing up anything further inside..

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
You managed to shear this screw, therefore I highly recommend taking it to someone who has experience with this sort of thing. Screw extractors require drilling of the bolt/screw, which is a whole other disaster waiting to happen. In the meantime, why not mosey on over to the fuckwits thread.