Sherman Sliders Plus SPV......seals???

SKT

Likes Dirt
A mate just got a bike with Slider Plus 170s and the seals are weepin' like a mother farker. I want to do the seals.

Is this an easy job......???
Do I have to but the Manitou seals or can I source them from a hydraulics shop like the Boxxer seals...???

Cheers

DeanoG

Likes Bikes
Replacing the seals is a piece of cake. Whip the lowers off, pry the old ones out, and tap the new ones in.

As for where to get em? Dont know, never need replacments yet on mine.

Note that the Sliders are not open bath, so your not losing damping oil past the seals, only lube oil for the stanchions/lowers interface.

Dean

Rik

logged out
The wipers on the stanchions, or the seals internally?
Shermans use the stanchions as a closed damper of sorts, seperating the damper oil (inside the stanchion, sealed off around the damper rod) and the lubricating oil (in the bottom of the lowers, sealed off by the stanchion wiper).
Weeping on the stanchions isn't appealing, but it isn't detrimental to performance either. Try pulling the lowers off the fork, 2 bolts and you're done, empty out the old oil and only put a small amount of fork oil in. I think it's only a few ml, between 5 and 20, check the manual. It might be a case of the old user overfilling the lowers with oil after doing a pre-sale rebuild, and the problem may go away. If it still weeps after a decent amount of riding with little oil in the lowers, then worry about new seals.
You don't want to waste money buying things that you don't need though, that's for sure ;)

SKT

Likes Dirt
The wipers on the stanchions, or the seals internally?
Shermans use the stanchions as a closed damper of sorts, seperating the damper oil (inside the stanchion, sealed off around the damper rod) and the lubricating oil (in the bottom of the lowers, sealed off by the stanchion wiper).
Weeping on the stanchions isn't appealing, but it isn't detrimental to performance either. Try pulling the lowers off the fork, 2 bolts and you're done, empty out the old oil and only put a small amount of fork oil in. I think it's only a few ml, between 5 and 20, check the manual. It might be a case of the old user overfilling the lowers with oil after doing a pre-sale rebuild, and the problem may go away. If it still weeps after a decent amount of riding with little oil in the lowers, then worry about new seals.
You don't want to waste money buying things that you don't need though, that's for sure ;)
Spot on.... cheers guys