Shifting problems

treble

Likes Dirt
Im trying to set up the derailleur on my hardtail and running into a strange issue

When shifted into the larger half of the cassette gears, the chain is entering the derailleur to far outboard (away from the wheel), meaning every time a link goes through the lower pulley, the pulley has to shift the chain over a few mm so the teeth can engage the gap in the chain, this is produces a loud click each time. And I cant figure out whats causing it.

The current setup is:
- 34t NW ring on XT 2x10 cranks. (ring in larger position)
- Shimano Zee (wide Range) derailleur
- Shimano Saint 10spd shifter
- 11-36 Sram Cassette.
- 10 spd KMC chain.

Ive checked the chain length, its correct.
Ordinarily, I would have thought that it was a chain line issue. But the bike was running happily with Sram shifting, the same size Shimano cassette, same crank and chain.
Or I might have thought it was an issue with the derailleur, but that had been working fine on another (dual susp) bike until now.

Anyone have any idea what might cause this problem?

madstace

Likes Dirt
I know you said all components were working fine in other configurations, but it sounds a bit like a bent hanger. Maybe the Zee derailleur is a bit more sensitive to alignment?

Z

Zaf

Adjust your B-limit so that it's getting a tighter wrap onto the cassette. Depending on how much it shifts the derailleur, you may need to set your limits again.

Just do it from the start:
- Shift to smallest cog then disconnect derailleur from shifter.
- Set B-Limit so that it gives good wrapping on the cassette without interference.
- Set Limit screws, just text by turning the crank and pushing the derailleur into it's extremes.
- Once limits set, connect shifter (after winding in your barrel adjust).
- Leaving it in the smallest cog, shift up to second, adjust cable tension on the barrel until it shifts smoothly between top two gears, after that it should click through nicely on all.

It takes 20mins (at most), and usually problem solves all shifting issues.

treble

Likes Dirt
Adjust your B-limit so that it's getting a tighter wrap onto the cassette. Depending on how much it shifts the derailleur, you may need to set your limits again.

Just do it from the start:
- Shift to smallest cog then disconnect derailleur from shifter.
- Set B-Limit so that it gives good wrapping on the cassette without interference.
- Set Limit screws, just text by turning the crank and pushing the derailleur into it's extremes.
- Once limits set, connect shifter (after winding in your barrel adjust).
- Leaving it in the smallest cog, shift up to second, adjust cable tension on the barrel until it shifts smoothly between top two gears, after that it should click through nicely on all.

It takes 20mins (at most), and usually problem solves all shifting issues.
Thats generally the procedure I use when setting up the derailleur anyway. Ill give it another shot though and see if it helps. cheers.

Z

Zaf

See if you can get a photo down the chainline with the derailleur in shot at some point as well. Pictures always help.

treble

Likes Dirt
Thanks all.
Pulled the derailleur off and started from scratch again. adjusted b-limit and upper/lower limit. Seems ok now, something must have been way out of whack when i put it together, still not sure what. the chain line in the largest rear gear is still a little bit cross-chained, not as bad as it was.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Similar set up to mine (albeit on a duallie) - the zee mechs seem to be sensitive to the slightest movement in the hanger (a minor bump and you're done - swap it out and see what happens)

Sent from two tin cans joined by string