shimano 11 speed

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Hi DirtDevil
Where did you buy the cranks/rings from - I haven't seen any shop have them in stock yet. Would love to know
Thanks. Frank

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Frank my understanding is that there is a delay due to the manufacture of the chainrings for Shimano.
The word is the single ring version is very delayed as the design wasn't working the way Shimano intended.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
BTB,
I'm not in the know but I hadn't heard anything like that. All press reports are very very good. Therefore it's even more necessary to hear from Dirt Devil if he is running the full Shimano set-up, where it was purchased from and how it performs
Cheers. F

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got everything I needed from Shimano Australia but I'm using older 3x XTR cranks with a RaceFace narrow wide ring. All I bought was the new cassette, chain, shifter and rear derailleur. I've only had one ride on it so far but it seems to work fine.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Frank,
Spoke with an owner of a Trek store today who has a new MTB with 1x11 on back order.... there is no current eta.
I suggest you look into alternatives for the cranks if you want a working system in the near future.
The general agreement is that the new XTR cranks are overpriced for what they are, with the normal proprietary BS incorporated such that you can't use alternative chainrings etc.

The Bear

redline316

Likes Dirt
i was in my lbs today and one of the customers there had he's bike rigged up with the new xtr groupset looks pretty sweet said it rides amazing.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the same old story, some people look at new gear with glass-half-full goggles and others try it and then see with rose-tinted glasses.
I'm the try it and see type. B2B - you may be correct about the availability of the 2015 XTR cranks, FD and chain rings. However some people are getting them from somewhere. I think that using a 2014 XTR 2x 10sp front rings or 3rd party rings might get it going. I'll have to continue to look out into the New Year and make a decision. AT least the bike has a working drivetrain atm so it's only my itchy paws that wants something shiny & new.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Fully supported shimano world cup riders running 1x were still using front guides at seasons end despite some even running the electronic variant.

Shimano are trying their hardest to avoid a narrow wide profile as per SRAM.

This may provide some insight into why single rings are still hard to come by

I'm all for Shimano getting it right and driving prices of 11spd gear down as they're very good at trickling down tech quickly

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Wondering if the XT (or XTR ) 10sp *2 or RF Turbine Cinch would be usable while waiting for the new stuff to be available? All the above use the 104mm bolt profile so when the 11sp chainrings appear it would be a bolt-on option I think. DD appears to be using a 2*10sp front end with the 11sp rear. Ideas anyone?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Frank,
just use what you have on hand. The 11spd chain won't make a difference in the front shifting as long as you have the matching front derailleur/ shifter. The crank isn't even really part of the equation, over the years on roadbikes as they have gone from 8-9-10-11 you have been able to use the same cranks despite manufacturers claiming otherwise....cough*campagnolo*cough

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Anyone interested should read up on the threads on mtbr. People are running 10speed chains effectively with 11 sp shimano and sram cassettes, also xtr shifter and 9000 series deraileur with sram 11 speed cassette, all in all it's looking fairly compatible

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Hi Pharmaboy
Thank you for the heads up. I'm not often on mtbr - I might have to check my login. Any chance you can provide a link to one of the threads?
Much appreciated

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recieved 11spd xtr this week. Bought rear mech, shifter, cass and chain from Evans. Was the cheapest I could find it, with everything in stock, and free shipping(DHL Express which wasnt stated but only took 4 days!).
Im running this group with an xt crankset and RF ring, wasnt worth dropping the coin on the crankset when this does the same thing.

Havent taken it for a spin on dirt yet, but initial impressions are very good. I am comparing this to the 1x9 xtr setup I was running previously.
Setup was easy, the finishes on the mech and shifter are awesome, and cassette is pretty light for what it is and seems well made.
Took it for a few spins around the block, shifting is very precise and accurate, the downshift is very smooth doesnt slap into gear, but more glides into it. Shifter feel is very light compared to other 1x10 clutch systems I have felt on friends bikes which is very heavy when the clutch is engaged.

Installed this group along with new wheels, LB 30mm UD matte rims laced to Hope Pro 2 Evo's in purple with DT Comps in silver w/ brass nips.
Will take it for its first proper ride on Sunday morning and see how it all goes!

10863535_10154975154275241_1922938958_n.jpg
10846829_10154975154550241_485159527_n.jpg

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
There's no firmware or programming to worry about. It's plug and play just like a mechanical system. If you plug one shifter into a set up with only a rear derailleur it will work as a standard 1x11 system.

You can update and modify the set up using the shimano diagnostic software. Which allows you to program buttons, shift speed, automatic shifting, etc. But that's not required to get it set up.

As above, it's more reliable than mechanical.. Just really expensive.
Isn't the di2 stuff Windoze only though...? Have to suffer that vile shit on work computers, no way I'm going to bring it into my home...

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isn't the di2 stuff Windoze only though...? Have to suffer that vile shit on work computers, no way I'm going to bring it into my home...
Yes, e-Tube is windows only. You can just run Windows in a VM (Virtual Machine) on any OS you have. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, google it.