Shimano BB bearings

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Too hard basket for me. I'm sure it can be done, but what's the point when the entire BB is relatively inexpensive? There's another burner selling some colourful ones cheaply.

What have you done to your bearings?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
A few years ago the local mech, who was pretty good, replaced just the bearings in a Shimano external BB of mine.

Personally I couldn’t be stuffed with an external BB as they aren’t expensive and are a no harm installation. With a PF BB I’d see more advantage in leaving the shell insitu.

What type of BB do you have as that would no doubt affect the answers ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks Planko and creaky .Not pressfit just standard Shimano bb .
I have done plenty of old type tapered square but never needed to do external until now.
Yeah pmed him I will try to buy those otherwise just replace what I need .
The bearings are dry, creaky and one wont go round so seized with dust no doubt.
I can see being external they are a bit vulnerable to mud over winter cos the front wheel bearing seized on the same bike.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just replaced the whole BB mate. The bearing covers are plastic and break easily. The only Shimano compatible BB I've just swapped the bearings in was a Token BB which had green BB wrench splines and matched my frame.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Where are you?
I bought a box of bearings from CBC ( cheaper than individually if > 2 are needed). I made a drift from alloy stock and used a large socket to press out old ones. Then reverse process to refit.
If you don't have (access to) workshop facilities with a press you would be better off buying. I like the recycled aspect myself and spent the time to keep my pretty red anodized external bearing cups.
There was someone here selling Aliexpress Bottom Brackets with alloy dust covers?

Flow-Rider

Burner
They're not very hard to do but by the time you muck around getting or making the tools to press the bearings back in and pick the plastic inserts out without damaging them, it's easier to buy a new one.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You can just replace the bearings. You can get the Enduro bearings from mtb direct. I have the Enduro tool for replacing them if you are in sydney, but you can just use a rubber mallet and pf92 tool to bang them out and then use a pf92 press to push the new bearings back in. The pf92 tools are available from cyclingdeal cheap.

If you want to be really ghetto you can use a 1 inch headset removal tool to remove and a rubber mallet and the old bearings to install. Check out the youtube videos.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk