Shimano bh90 vs bh59

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've ordered the wrong size olive/insert to fit my XT8100 levers. From what I've read, Magura and Shimano both use 5mm OD hoses. But I ordered the BH90 insert which is 2.1mm instead of the bh59 2.3mm insert. Can I reuse the barb insert from my Maguras and the new olive from the BH90?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
As a general rule you can't reuse barbs, mainly because once the olive is squished on there's no quick & easy way of getting it out! Will also depend on the hose bore of the Maguras whether it will fit.

DMan

I could push the insert into the hose with my finger so I reckon I could get the bh59 in. Might just have to suck it up and order another set then

DMan

Apparently it's the right insert. But shouldn't the head of the insert be bigger than the OD of the hose to give the olive something to push against?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Apparently it's the right insert. But shouldn't the head of the insert be bigger than the OD of the hose to give the olive something to push against?
No, if you look at pretty much any assembled hose the head of the barb is a poofteenth smaller than hose OD, The main purpose of the barb insert is to prevent squashing the hose & not forming a proper seal when the olive is compressed by the nut. The slight hose overhang will further ensure a proper seal.

DMan

No, if you look at pretty much any assembled hose the head of the barb is a poofteenth smaller than hose OD, The main purpose of the barb insert is to prevent squashing the hose & not forming a proper seal when the olive is compressed by the nut. The slight hose overhang will further ensure a proper seal.
Great. Thanks Duck. I haven't done a lever before.