Shimano chain connection pins

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
How do you tell the difference between 10-speed and 11-speed Shimano connecting pins?

I have some (10-speed?) ones with two grooves on the bullet part which you snap off

Do 11-speed ones have something different to identify them?

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Don't. Grab a joiner link instead.
Totally concur. But one of the guys I ride with is trying to lengthen his chain after fitting a 11.46 cassette and I was trying to help him out with what he has laying about.

I told him to use some verniers to measure the width, but he said "what are verniers?"

moorey

call me Mia
Totally concur. But one of the guys I ride with is trying to lengthen his chain after fitting a 11.46 cassette and I was trying to help him out with what he has laying about.

I told him to use some verniers to measure the width, but he said "what are verniers?"
2 quick links

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Tell him a precision shifter.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
How do you tell the difference between 10-speed and 11-speed Shimano connecting pins?

I have some (10-speed?) ones with two grooves on the bullet part which you snap off

Do 11-speed ones have something different to identify them?
11-sp. pins have a very distinct pointed tip, where the others are rounded. Also, when held side by side the pin part is shorter than the 10-sp. one (the same also applies when trying to pick 9- or 8-sp. pins too).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Well it's about 1/3 of the length of the guide part. Very distinctive when compared to any other pin. I'll chuck a pic up tomorrow.