Shimano freehub POE upgrade

stewyh

Likes Dirt
So I picked up an old Norco Moment street trials rig the other day.
Just getting it tidied up and rideworthy but the stock Shimano 9 speed freehub (FHM756 hub) has a fairly paltry 18 points of engagement which is a bit crap for trials. Is there a compatible replacement freehub available with more engagement points?
Plenty of Shimano freehubs online but can't find any specs re POE.
Even something like 36 would be an improvement. My Echo comp bike has 110 points or something ludicrous like that in its crank mount freewheel, not expecting anything close to that but some improvement would be nice.

Cheers.

I think you might be SOL on this one. The FH-M756 is compatible with a couple of other hubs, but I don't believe there's any freehubs that are compatible with your hub shell.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the Shimano webshop at the moment to check if there's any listed alternatives, but your LBS should be able to check or call Shimano to find out.

Id say that it's unlikely though. If you need to check specs on hub engagement you can find that (and a lot of other useful info) at http://productinfo.shimano.com, although, funnily enough, there's no info for the M756 POE. I guess they didn't feel it was worth mentioning it for such a low number. Most of the freehubs that do have the POE listed are 32 or 36 points.

Cool bike though. I saw the photos of it in another sub forum. Looks like it'd be a fun ride!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The M665/675 SLX freewheel body *may* fit; if it does, it's the only quicker one that will, as later-generation XT hubs moved to an oversize axle, while the older M756 and the later hubs up to SLX stayed with the straight 10mm. The SLX body has 32POE, for 11.5 degrees between ratchets, which is a noticeable improvement over the older models.