Shimano Linkglide wankery

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
12 speed stuff from what I understand has profile plates on the chain and cassette which allow shifting both up and down the cassette under load (Hyperglide + I think it's called). The regular 11 speed only allows this when shifting up. I am sure Ducky will correct me if I am wrong. Anyway I have ridden Shimmy 12 speed and yes it shifts very smoothly, but have had several mates who have had clutch issues, the price of consumables is considerably higher and you obviously have to stump up for a new freehub to run it. For the benefit of a slighly wider range (which you can pretty much solve by using an XD freehub regardless) there's not enough benefit for me to want to upgrade.
Saw me mentioned here.... Standard HyperGlide (HG) which has been around since about 1990 and used on everything from 6- to 11-sp. has ramping on the outboard faces of the sprockets to help shifting to a bigger one (downshifting). Chain link profile helps hang onto the ramps through the shift to reduce slip. Low-profile "drop teeth" at certain points around each sprocket aid shifting in both directions.

HG+ adds ramping to the inner faces of the sprockets, as well as extended inner chain links to really hang onto the gears, to smooth out shifting to smaller sprockets/higher gears as well.

As for the LG series of Stuff, it was "released" nearly a year ago, but I've not yet seen any sign of it in the wild; this thread is the first indication that it's escaping. From what I recall, it's built around durability, because e-bikes and their clueless riders tend to munt normal drivetrains pretty quickly. The XT-spec 8130 cassettes use the same sprocket spacing as normal 11-sp, but just weigh a shitload more, but for reasons known only to Shimano the shifters & derailleurs run on a (supposedly) different cable pull. The lower-spec Deore-baged 10-sp. version uses the same tight ⁰spacing as 11-sp (basically just lopping off the big sprocket), so doesn't mix with other, wider-spaced 10-sp. stuff.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bump.
Does anyone have any experience with the 10 or 11 speed linkglide?
Got the full 11spd XT group sitting here. It's chunky stuff.
Need to clean the chain, wax it and waiting on a HG freehub.

I got the full group from here. Out of stock now.

Was the cheapest around.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the full 11spd XT group sitting here. It's chunky stuff.
Need to clean the chain, wax it and waiting on a HG freehub.

I got the full group from here. Out of stock now.

Was the cheapest around.

You like it? What you change it from?

ozzybmx

You like it? What you change it from?
My eeb came with GX which was stretched and chewed out at 500km. Just put new XT 12 derailleur and shifter on it and then realised when I fitted a new XX1 chain that it was jumping.

No rush to fit the linkglide as it's already destroyed.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I run 8 speed on the ebike for commuting and it's bulletproof. It's ironic that with the additional motor, people (manufacturers?) rekon they still need pizza sized cassettes and a million gears. You don't the motor takes up heaps of the load and you don't need perfect cadence matched to the load like you do with leg power.

On the flipside, with the added weight and durability, question begs, why not just run gearboxes?!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
We soon will be:
Still why the heck is it 600% gear range?! The speed limiter and and usable traction means you don't need much more than 500% and maybe could get away with 400% for most riders, myself included. Typical german stuff, overly complex, expensive and impossible to get.

ozzybmx

I run 8 speed on the ebike for commuting and it's bulletproof. It's ironic that with the additional motor, people (manufacturers?) rekon they still need pizza sized cassettes and a million gears. You don't the motor takes up heaps of the load and you don't need perfect cadence matched to the load like you do with leg power.

On the flipside, with the added weight and durability, question begs, why not just run gearboxes?!
Agreed, reckon I've went into the big 52t by accident maybe once or twice, 42t occasionally on steep but gears 3-7 (10,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32,36,42,52) are shark toothed and even after using a Dremel to smooth them off, the torque of the motor plus my megawatts ;) is enough to make a new XX1 chain ride up and jump on every effort.

I can push hard and make the chain checker go through the GX chain at 0.75 but its a hard push and wouldn't be changed on a regular bike. The ebike smashes drivetrains even with careful shifting... Faark knows what kind of beating a rental ebike gets.

Those 4 gears are the optimal gears to keep the bike running at 25kph. Obviously using some either side too but these must have taken the brunt of the power.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still why the heck is it 600% gear range?! The speed limiter and and usable traction means you don't need much more than 500% and maybe could get away with 400% for most riders, myself included. Typical german stuff, overly complex, expensive and impossible to get.
Yep that's why I'm considering the 10 speed shimano linkglide as I dont need that range. For a gearbox though, I doubt it would be much lighter with only slightly less range.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Still why the heck is it 600% gear range?!
Given the ratio steps are the same I'm guessing it's the same gearsets/planetary groups as the C1.12.

The E1.9 only saves 100gr and loses three gears (but still has a 568% range), so I guess for the tiny weight penalty - why not have the extra gears?

In Europe they have proper Alps too, where even on an eBike (where you might be running a lower assistance for maximum climb range) the granny gears might be more appropriate to the terrain, but you'd likely be spinning out (even without pedal assist) on the steeper descents with only a 400-500% range. Should also mean less faffing around with chainring sizes so the bike can be really tailored to the size it's spec'd with.