Shimano mineral brake fluid

JRXS

Squid
The equivalent is a hydraulic suspension fluid or a mineral oil specifically for brake systems. Penrite LHM Plus is the one to use if you need some. I use both Shimano and the LHM.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I can feel an experiment coming on.... I have some Magura blood in the workshop that I can't see being used for a very long time, and a set of old cheap Shimano brakes at home....
A liddle update.... Shimano M485 brake bled with Magura blood over the weekend. At last check this morning no visible leaks yet. However a squeeze test with very tightly-fitting bleed block inserted has a rather spongy feel, more than the brake had with the right juice. Next test (none of this is on the bike, I'm not suicidal!) will be with pads fitted & grabbing a rotor to see if the contact stroke is affected in any way. After letting sit & stew for a while longer I'll pull both brakes (the other still has Shimano oil in it for control) apart & see if there's any degradation of the internals with Magura oil.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
A liddle update.... Shimano M485 brake bled with Magura blood over the weekend. At last check this morning no visible leaks yet. However a squeeze test with very tightly-fitting bleed block inserted has a rather spongy feel, more than the brake had with the right juice. Next test (none of this is on the bike, I'm not suicidal!) will be with pads fitted & grabbing a rotor to see if the contact stroke is affected in any way. After letting sit & stew for a while longer I'll pull both brakes (the other still has Shimano oil in it for control) apart & see if there's any degradation of the internals with Magura oil.
Any update on the conditions of them now?