Shimano or Clarks?

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
So I am finally upgrading from my Juicy 5's and was pretty keen on some Shimano XT's. But my boss (I work at my LBS) is trying to convince me to go for a set of Clarks (Either HDB 600 or HDB 790) instead.

I am having a bit of trouble trying to find any info on Clarks Brakes, other then the little about the Skeletal brakes.
So can anybody help me out? and maybe convince me that they are a better brake then XT's :wave:

rhyno

Likes Dirt
I know your interested in the higher end models, but since you mentioned the skeletal brake...

I have the Skeletal brakes on my commuter, and I bought them because they are cheap ($50 per end with adapters and rotors) and they certainly look cheap. They work like a basic disk brake; no bells and whistles. They work, but the don't even come close to the performance of my Hope x2's.
FWIW, I've never ridden their better models. I'd be interested to see what people say about them.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
After a bit of research I have heard some ok reviews on Clarks brakes (Still can't find any reviews on the higher versions :/) , but have also heard some shocking ones.
So rather then risk wasting hard earned money I'm going to eliminate Clarks as a choice, unless I find any reviews on the higher versions

So I Will also include Hope X2 Evo's in the choices

sedifus

Likes Dirt
At work Apollo bikes started being released last year with the skeletals . I don't know what end models they are but we've only had trouble with them out of the box. Every single set we've had to take out the pads and angle grind them back to fit the disc in the caliper.

While after this we haven't had major problems I'd say a well set up pair of juicy brakes would have more power than the skeletals.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Clarks are shit. From my own experience and that of others I know.

2012 XT/XTR or Hope V2 are where its at.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Those last ones are fucking terrible.

I could take a shit, sculpt it with a fork and freeze it until solid and make a better looking brake.

redbruce

Eats Squid
But my boss (I work at my LBS) is trying to convince me to go for a set of Clarks (Either HDB 600 or HDB 790) instead.
In the light of comments and personal experiences mentioned here, and the indifferent reviews around the web, your bosses recommendation (and therefore of his business) is very concerning.

Trying to get rid of you is he?

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
In the light of comments and personal experiences mentioned here, and the indifferent reviews around the web, your bosses recommendation (and therefore of his business) is very concerning.

Trying to get rid of you is he?
Perhaps, I think we'll need to have a talk when I work next :mod: