Shimano Saint, non driveside stripped.

landz

Squid
Hey there, yesterday i was riding down a track me and some crew found the other day, hit a mid sized drop... Probably was almost 6ft in the air before i came down, when i hit the ground there was the most awful sound i have ever heard.

When i inspected further, the non drive side of my shimano saint crank had stripped the spline on the inside and was pretty much parallel with the drive side crank. when we returned to the troopcarrrier we removed it and there was aluminium shards everywhere and the spline was stuffed out.

The problem is that i had tightened it to shimano's specified torque of 45N-m with a torque wrench.

So to avoid this post becoming story time, 2 questions:

How much should i expect to pay for a new non drive side saint crank?

And how tight does anyone else do their saints up?

landz

Squid
Yeah the warranty is a no go, bought them second hand off farkin trading area.

Probably wouldn't get a warranty as i installed them myself anyway.

on the bright side, (this is the point where you all call me a dickhead) i put them back on that day and tightened the hell out of them and they held up pretty well, still ill be buying a non drive side tomorrow anyway.

faceplant666

Likes Dirt
mine came off during a race the platic cap broke, i reckon u might be looking at 200 min, maybe a whole new set.

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i agree with tu_plang. if you have your pinch bolts done up. there should be no pressure on the plastic preload cap to make it snap

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I don't use a torque wrench because I'm lazy and confident in my knowledge,and doing both bolts up together(1/8th turn at a time),however mine have worked a little loose over months.,I'd say I had close enough to correct tension,perhaps this is what happened to yours.I'm guessing everything beds in a touch since first installed,Yours werent new but still possibly the case. All nuts and bolts on your bike should be checked fairly often to be safe.I'll check mine with a torque wrench now to be sure.
It's dasapointing but I wouldnt let it put you off the Saints.

Last edited:

landz

Squid
yeah, it hasn't put me off yet. im near enough to 120 kg right now riding a hardtail and they havent let me down yet...

Just checked the price list $150-200 depends on your lbs
i just now have between 150 and 200 reasons to tighten them up before another ride.

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
The problem is that i had tightened it to shimano's specified torque of 45N-m with a torque wrench.
What did you tighten to 45Nm? The bearing cups or the pinch bolts. Shimano specifies the bearing cups at 35-50Nm whilst the pinch bolts that hold the non drive side arm are only 10-15Nm.

Last edited: