shimano shifter with a sram x9

Vedsy

Likes Dirt
It will work, as in you can use it and ride around without it self destructing, but not 100% correctly. I ran an X9 rear derailleur with XT shifters on my commuter for 5ish months. Only problem I had with it was that I couldn't get it to shift across all 9 gears. Could get either the top 7 or bottom 7, never the whole lot. Apart from that it was fine.

taquar

Likes Dirt
You can do it, but you need something like this,
View attachment 204203
http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate_straight.htm

It will change the cable pull so the dérailleur moves correctly. Given the cost it may not be worth it, unless you're mad keen on using a Shimano shifter and SRAM mech.
I reckon that's pretty ingenious, as in say, at a race day and your derailleur busts, and if you don't have a spare sram one, you have a cheap shimano one lying around, just put that on, tune it and you're good to go. While it might be debatable as to if it's worth it or not, not a bad idea IMO.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon that's pretty ingenious, not a bad idea IMO.
Not bad at all... I prefer the SRAM shifters but hate the derailleurs. It's not that expensive either. It's the same cost as a new shifter which would make it pointless actually, but if you REALLY wanted to mix and match, you could.