Shimano WR 11-41t 10Spd Cassette.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Gday everyone, since mentioning in PYR of my Shimano WR 11-41t 10Spd cassette I've had many an inquiry of how I did it.

Bit of a story first......

For me this is an evolution of a WR cassette which I started experimenting with in 2009 when Shimano released their SLX 12-36t 9spd cassette. With XT/XTR 9spd not having a 36t option then I bought the SLX cassette and removed the 36t and placed it behind my XTR cassette (removed the 11t and installed a 12t lockring). With this experiment working it got me thinking about a larger cog and the possibilities of going 1x.

Research led me to a US company called Action Tec who do all sorts of specialty bike gearing from individual cogs to complete cassettes. An early morning phone call to them confirmed that in their experience a Shimano 9spd derailleur with the B screw turned in and cable tuning it would shift to their 39t Ti cog, so done....I ordered one.

Within 2 weeks I was riding a 12-39t 9spd cassette and with the benefit of the then new 28t Widgit, I had gearing close close enough for the trails I was riding. With a solid 12 months, several hundred+ Kms of singletrack and a 6Hr race I was very happy with this experiment, but eventually succumbed to the allure of a 10spd drivetrain in 2010 and then I moved to the true hills (Toowoomba) and went back to 2x up front needing a granny gear again.

Then a couple months ago I had a front derailleur fail? and went back to a 28t Widgit as an easy fix, then my mind started thinking again especially with SRAM's XX1 now available. So back into my parts bin I go and grab the 39t Action Tec cog and some cassette spacers and pull apart the 11-36t XT cassette. I had a result........11-39t by putting the Action Tec cog at the back + 3mm spacer, removed the XT17/15t cogs and place a 16t cog in their place and rode.

Like I did when on 9spd, I screwed in the B screw on the Shimano 10spd XT GS Shadow+ derailleur and it changed gears as per normal, gearing though was a little funky simply the change from 16t>13t was just a little too tall depending on the terrain, not a complete deal breaker but something again to make me want to fix it.

With SRAM's 42t XX1 cog it got me thinking and researching as to what was out there, I emailed Action Tec who said that they would look into it and get back? and Paul from Widgit who said the same but it could be done at a price?.....again this was all with no guarantee that the 10spd XT derailleur would shift that far. Then I stumbled upon the 41t cog from US ebayer "mtbtools", again I took a gamble.....which paid off.

The cassette is now in it's final stage, with the 41t cog fitting and working as advertised and I've fixed the gap between the 16<>13t by using some of the individual Shimano 9spd SLX cassette cogs and Shimano 10spd spacers... with the B-screw now all the way in and cable tension adjusted the WR cassette is working like a charm despite the mix of cogs.

The gear spread on the Shimano WR cassette is 41-36-32-28-24-21-18-15-13-11t below is a photo of it all apart.

What I used.....
* 41t cog + .5mm spacer (supplied) from "eBayer mtbtools" or 39t cog from Action Tec + (3mm spacer)
* Shimano XT 10spd 11-36t cassette
* Shimano SLX 9spd 12-36t cassette
* Shimano 2.35mm 10spd cassette spacers

Preferring Shimano over SRAM, I would hope that Shimano would have a rebuttal to the XX1 or at least a WR 10spd cassette similar to mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
good work

i'm also hoping that Shimano will increase its 10 speed cassette range
an 11-38 would work for me

doubt it would be much of a challenge for Shimano to make one and i reckon it would sell well

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Great work. I plan to copy this some time in the future.
Can I ask about the middle gears? Which gear/s did you remove from the 10s cassette?
I have an XT and SLX 10 speed and a 990 SRAM cassettes. I should be able to do something with.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice bit of tinkering but i am wondering why?

Why not just go XX1 to benifit from- no front chain retention, clutch RD, lighter an still 15% more gear range?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Why not just go XX1 to benifit from- no front chain retention, clutch RD, lighter an still 15% more gear range?
I'm guessing it had alot to do with $$$$$$$$ and also wanting to see if doing this hack would work or not.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

Have you seen the price of the cassette? I don't want to be paying $400 every time I do a wet race.
2010 Capital Punishment anyone?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you seen the price of the cassette? I don't want to be paying $400 every time I do a wet race.
2010 Capital Punishment anyone?
Hang on- 1 SLX cass, 1 XT cass, 1 ebay big cog....

and XX1 cass can be had for well under $300 and probably weighs 1/2 the above construction....

wet race = SS

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Maybe his rear hub doesn't have an xx1 driver available for it. There will be plenty of people that won't be too keen on getting a new hub and wheel rebuild, or a whole new wheel, just to run a wide range rear cluster. Having said that, SRAM may well come out with a 10 speed rear cluster that does away with the 10t gear so it'll fit on a normal freehub.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Hang on- 1 SLX cass, 1 XT cass, 1 ebay big cog....

and XX1 cass can be had for well under $300 and probably weighs 1/2 the above construction....

wet race = SS
What about the chain? Another problem is the xd driver. I already have set of light weight carbon wheels that I wouldn't be able to use with xx1.
Doing the ghetto xx1 would mean only getting an XT shadow+ rear, a bigger gear for the rear cassette and a ring for the front crank.
To go xx1 would mean driver body (for my not preferred wheels), cassette, rear mech, cranks, chain and shifter.
Xx1 is great and pretty good value if your building a bike but out of my price range as an upgrade.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Look steve24 nic off....what the freak has happened to mtbikers/rb of late....hate'n on any stuff that's different.

Why did I do it, it's a discredit to you to ask really....but I like thinking outside the squares of life......

This is not an anti XX1 arguement but a simple info post, in fact if you care to really read my intro you'll figure my "tinkering" pre-dates XX1 by 18mths or so...even the announcement that it was coming!

In fact all that XX1/my WR cassette are is modern day Mega range version of such.

Cost? hasn't cost me much at all.....I had the SLX/XT cassettes, Action Tec cog, Shadow+ derailluer and a 28t Widgit for a couple years and a $50 eBay cog is hardly an outlay.

I'd be pissed too if someone had almost the same thing for zip all $'s.

Last edited:

SaabG

Likes Dirt

You can't piece together a xx1 groupset for under $1200 so the advantage is a saving of over $1000 if all you need is the 41t ring. It's a no brainier really.

I have bought a 41t cog off eBay and threw it on my 10 speed setup. I removed the 15t cog which works quite well but ill buy a slx 12-36 cassette to try and improve the shifting even further. I'm running this setup with a zee fr derailleur which surprisingly has a long enough cage to do the job.

The three problems with this setup I can see will be the large single cog chewing the freehub body to pieces but time will tell how big a deal that is. For me at least having such a short cage it's hard to get chain tension just right so I am getting some chain slap in the lower gears that I didn't previously get. Plus the added weight but I think it's a small price to pay for the added range.

I'd just like to thank gripper for the write up mate. Now if shimano can wake up and build us a cassette with this range at a decent price they'll blow xx1 out of the water.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Update later this week

Cheers SaabG

I will have more to add later this week as I've been experimenting with different cogs....essentially to improve the ratios at the mid/high end of the cassette ie.4<>10th gear along with addressing freehub chewing and spacing the cogs.....

Also by my reckoning I think that the current XX1 cassettes ratios aren't perfection either....more on this later.

The derailleur noise.....or lack of it with my XT Shadow + engaged is just like stock.

Last edited:

SaabG

Likes Dirt
I just replaced my 32t widget with a 36t hope integrated bash ring and guard which has moved the chain further from the chain stay which has improved the chain slap problem. I can't wait to go for a ride but this bloody rain is stepping me from doing so.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Gripper, how much clearance do you end up with between the 41 and the guide pulley?
There is close to the recommended 5mm with the stock B-screw almost maxed out (you could put in a longer screw to gain more space between the top jockey wheel/cassette).

I think a 42t cog is a real possibility....though an extra 1t at this end of the cassette would be a mute point.

You might be able to tell from this photo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365499305.331468.jpg

SaabG

Likes Dirt
I just went for my first ride with the new system (and new lights) and it performed almost flawlessly. That's just running the 10 speed cassette minus the 15t ring so I'm sure once I integrate the 9 speed cogs it'll work even better. This is running a zee derailleur which I'd imagine would be the shortest cage you can get so no one should have clearance issues. This really does mean that shimano can blow sram out of the water if they just build one of these cassettes. It would be so much cheaper and IMHO would be better with only ten speeds. There's no need for 11 gears. Just makes it harder to get from the top cog to the bottom.