Shimano XC70 or XC90 shoes

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Hi all.

I'm looking at getting new shoes. My 2.5 year old XC60 have seen better days and is falling apart.
Looking at the XC70 and the XC90 does anyone here use them and can give me a quick review ?
I like the fact that they are heat moldable.
The XC60 is a bit loose around my heel and I was hoping the custom fit will solve them.
The XC90 is about $100 more expensive, is it worth it? from what I can see the only difference is that the XC90 have stiffer soles.

cheers,
Mario

ChopSticks

Banned
The XC90 is about $100 more expensive, is it worth it? from what I can see the only difference is that the XC90 have stiffer soles.
I've also been looking at these shoes.... my el cheapo MT54's dont fit too well (loose at the heel too)
its approx $85 difference, and if you dont mind the blue of the 90's... then you'll have a lighter (5 grams lol), 'superior' carbon sole = more stiff?, and a different tread layout.

Cell bikes seems to have the cheapest price..... but not sure how you'll get them to custom fit it if you're not close......

theres a review buy flow mag.. and recall one of the neg's were a sole that wore quickly? ... worth a read if youre going to put $275~....

bmar560

Likes Dirt
I've also been looking at these shoes.... my el cheapo MT54's dont fit too well (loose at the heel too)
its approx $85 difference, and if you dont mind the blue of the 90's... then you'll have a lighter (5 grams lol), 'superior' carbon sole = more stiff?, and a different tread layout.

Cell bikes seems to have the cheapest price..... but not sure how you'll get them to custom fit it if you're not close......

theres a review buy flow mag.. and recall one of the neg's were a sole that wore quickly? ... worth a read if youre going to put $275~....
Yeah I was looking at Cell as well.
I'm only at Concord so it's close enough. I was gonna ask them if they have the Oven to do the custom fit.
If not I'll get TBSM to price match :)

A few reviews on the XC90 but none I can find on the XC70

riene5

Likes Bikes
I have the XC70 shoe and am disappointed with it.

I too was running a really old set of shoes that that were very loose, and the thought of custom fitting a pair of shoes appealed to me.
I did not notice much difference between the XC70's pre-fitted and fitted, so unless they fit you really well before being molded to your foot, I suggest looking elsewhere.
And then if they do fit you really well before molding, what's the point of molding them?

Also the velcro straps that do up the shoe, one pulls to the outside and one pulls to the inside of the shoe.
When I do up the shoe nice and tight (and this was after getting them fitted), the strap that pulls to the inside would be sticking out and hitting the crank every pedal stroke.

Also, make sure the shop you buy the shoes from has all the equipment to fit the shoes for you.
You would think this is a given, but I waited over a month to get mine fitted as the oven and pump could not be found.

Maybe this is a first attempt at heat fitted MTB shoes by Shimano and they will get better in time.
Or my feet just may not suit the shoe, I have been told I have very narrow feet.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Looked at the new bont riot MTB? Meant to have fixed their QC issues, and you can mould and remould those soles (not the upper though)as many times as you like, just use your oven at home.

teK--

Eats Squid
Maybe this is a first attempt at heat fitted MTB shoes by Shimano and they will get better in time.
Or my feet just may not suit the shoe, I have been told I have very narrow feet.
I have same issue with XC60 they are pretty narrow and my toes are about to burst after long rides. I looked for the wider XC60E version but could never locate a pair.

Other than that they are super light, stiff, and do a good job. Mine have been going strong for 3 years now but with lesser use lately I have changed to AM45 for most weekend rides.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I fitted my XC60's with some G8 insoles from the get go and haven't really looked back - far better support and fit than the basic Shimano insoles.

Next time I'd probably go back to the XC50 or M088 (and swap the insoles over) given that I don't really need the even stiffer race shoes...and they are a bastard to wander around on anyway.

akashra

Eats Squid
In the past I've had both a set of M300s, a set of M230s, and a set of M240s - I had the M300s and M230s custom fit and the difference before and after was night and day. I now just use XC60s, XC50s and I've got a set of XC61s that haven't been worn yet... one day - but agree on the comment about the XC60 being narrower at the toes. The newer XC range do seem to be a slightly better/tighter fit than the old M series, but maybe I'm imagining it.

I also found the M300s to be a significantly more snug fit than the R300s before they were toaster-ovened.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi all.

I'm looking at getting new shoes. My 2.5 year old XC60 have seen better days and is falling apart.
Looking at the XC70 and the XC90 does anyone here use them and can give me a quick review ?
I like the fact that they are heat moldable.
The XC60 is a bit loose around my heel and I was hoping the custom fit will solve them.

cheers,
Mario
Hi, I'm not going to be a whole lot of help, but I ordered the xc70 because previously had the 30 and the xc60 would have been too narrower me. BUT, I haven't worn them yet - they are stiff as buggary and I wouldn't want to do a hike a bike with them, but the new adjustable insoles are brilliant - different height arch supports come with the pack. If the xc90 s are stiffer I wouldn't go that way personally, you'd look like a roadie in a cafe doing the goose walk when walking a hill.

Figure I'll follow the instructions and wear them for a few hours then get busy with the oven set to 100c, put the suckers in for 5 minutes and see how the mouldable thing goes!