Shimano XT 2x11 complete swap for SLX 1x11

Olbert

Squid
My girlfriend has a Trek Fuel Ex 8 2017 with an XT 2x11 and I have a Giant Fathem 1 2018 with an SLX 1x11. For those bikes we would both prefer the other drive train. I want the 2x11 for my hardtail and she would love the 1x11 for her trail bike.

My question is is it possible to do a drive train swap? Completely swap the chain rings, cassettes and chains for each bike.

moorey

call me Mia
Unless also doing rotors, and one is splined, go nuts.
If doing shifters, and mixing, just check on the mounting.

John U

MTB Precision
Might need to check chain lengths also. Duallie might need a longer chain to allow for swing arm movement through travel.
If a new longer chain is required and the chain being replaced has a fair bit of wear you may be up for chain rings and cassette also. If chain being replaced is newish should be able to swap in a new chain without any dramas.
Check the lengths of the chains on each bike and the wear on the chains.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't you just swap front cranks and front derailleur setup? Could also swap rear trigger too if really necessary... But the SLX and XT are almost identical otherwise

moorey

call me Mia
Wouldn't you just swap front cranks and front derailleur setup? Could also swap rear trigger too if really necessary... But the SLX and XT are almost identical otherwise
As are cranks and FD. Xt rear mech a bit more refined, and I do think the shifter feels crisper. Probably conformation bias.