Shimano XT brakes - M785 vs M8120

takai

Eats Squid
Planning the new bike build, and Im planning on using the new XT 12sp drivetrain, with older symmetric cranks and a Raceface NW ring. But have now come to the brakes. I have some M785s spare currently, but wondering whether i should just splash the pot the extra $500 for the M8120 brakeset?

Are the 4pot calipers that much better than the older dual calipers?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I've been toying with going half way on my bike and just putting an 8120 4pot caliper up front moto style (on my M8000 brakes).. They're ~$140 with pads, plus about 10 minutes of effort to bleed. Might be a good middle ground.

takai

Eats Squid
I've been toying with going half way on my bike and just putting an 8120 4pot caliper up front moto style (on my M8000 brakes).. They're ~$140 with pads, plus about 10 minutes of effort to bleed. Might be a good middle ground.
Yeah. Guessing they dont work with the M785 levers though. So may as well splash a full upgrade then and sell off the M785s

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah. Guessing they dont work with the M785 levers though. So may as well splash a full upgrade then and sell off the M785s
Why not? Most of the Shimano stuff has been pretty interchangeable for a long time as long as it's Deore or above. It's just a sealed mineral oil system with a piston to push the fluid, not really a big deal. Only real difference is the banjo bolt is different, but it's included with the new caliper anyway. Wouldn't even have to change hose.

Or you can do the RB thing and just buy a new set as you say ;)

takai

Eats Squid
Why not? Most of the Shimano stuff has been pretty interchangeable for a long time as long as it's Deore or above. It's just a sealed mineral oil system with a piston to push the fluid, not really a big deal. Only real difference is the banjo bolt is different, but it's included with the new caliper anyway. Wouldn't even have to change hose.

Or you can do the RB thing and just buy a new set as you say ;)
That is true, bore size doesnt seem to be different.

True to form though Shimano changed the iSPEC dimensions for the 12sp... :(

SDA

Likes Dirt
The variable bite point on the new 4 pots are a PITA - quite distracting on technical trails.

Suggest to choose a different brand

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 785, and 8100's, was thinking about going to 4 piston, but went 9100 xtr instead, really happy, was surprised how different they feel, but also how much better they are.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do it! Everything else is sounding nice and new, why ruin that by using old brakes?

Also sell the old brakes to me