Shimano XT cranks for downhill ?

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone running Shimano XT hollowtech II cranks for downhill ?
Looking for a nice lightweight/strong setup for my DH bike
and seen a few guys using the XT's over the Saints

Will be running a single chainring and chainguide setup

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, they are a great crank to put on a race bike. Crazy light and still strong.

liams

Likes Bikes
I looked at getting them for my bike pete but they didnt have them in stock so went for the saints instead.

DIGITALPIMP

Likes Bikes
Ive stripped a Pedal on my XT's so I went saint due to the steel Bushing to stop it. Although Ive also done a few rounds on a set of Hone cranks too, they held up quite well too. I think its a matter of cost when it comes to buying XT over Saints...but most cranksets will do ok as long as you have a smooth tecnique and Maintain them.

Davf

Likes Dirt
I have heard of xt's snapping. They aren't really designned for DH - they are quite stiff but brittle. Hones(same as lx but with steel inserts, steel spindle), saints or holzfellas would be my choice.

EDIT: whoops sorry i was thinking about the models before the latest ones that are out now.

Last edited:

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i reckon they are bloody awesome cranks! ive been using mine for DH for prolly a year now no worries, havnt even need to replace a bearing or do anything, just set em up and forget about it.

i doubt youll snap em, my cousin only just managed to bend his, and that was after getting hit by a car and the crank taking the majority or the impact.

toodles

Wheel size expert
yeah I'm a massive fan of the XTs. I ran mine for 15 months of cased jumps, and all sorts of bad stuff with not a whimper from them. I finally bent the right hand side arm slightly but that was in a crash that totalled the pedal and a handleber so it was pretty hard.

I still went out and bought another set :)

Hack

Likes Bikes
Cranks

I have had a 2 sets of hone cranks there extremly light but they are a tadon the weak side(i bent both sets). There good cranks the hone's but they don't take much abuse. If your going to get some Shimano cranks get some saints.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most DJ/street/park riders put their cranks through a lot more than a DH racer. a lot of serious racers looking to save grams are using Deus cranks.

On a Duallie you have the suspension reducing the stresses put on the cranks, the only time they suffer serious stress is when you hook up the bashring on a log or a rock. A hardtail by nature puts higher stresses on the cranks as they become part of the unsprung assembley supporting your weight.

MTBWANNABE

Banned
Regarding XT's.. Do they fit into freekin' shuttle trailers. The only reason i'd ever be held back from saints is they don't.

Hopefully the XT's are a diff story ?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
yeah, xt's fit shuttle trailers, but so do saints! with a bit of elbow grease

If you're looking to save a bit of weight, have a look at the middleburn rs7's... light as and tuff as with a lifetime warranty including racing! beat that!

::RideSiK::

Pro Rider
MTBWANNABE said:
Regarding XT's.. Do they fit into freekin' shuttle trailers. The only reason i'd ever be held back from saints is they don't.

Hopefully the XT's are a diff story ?

saints fit in the perth trailer... theres been some widend up ones towards the back... they even fit in the rocko trailer with a bit of squeezing...

im never seen you at races though ???

Demo Dave

Likes Dirt
Just go the saints, had 2 sets for a year now and they still straight and the bb bearings are still super smooth....

Pro Rider
yes no arguement the saint cranks are strong as...

the xt cranks however in my opinion are a much better option for riders looking to save roughly one pound and still get good reliable cranks... they arnet as strong as saints, but are certainly strong enough for most people...

Pro Rider
double post...

the only advantage saints have over XTs is that theya re available in 165mm where XT shortest length is 170mm

and the silver look looks cool.. (though shimanos DXR range for next year also has a polished silver finish if looks is what you are after...)

udi

swiss cheese
Demo Dave said:
All this for what??
Demo Dave said:
250g weight saving.
You're a moron. You also answered your own question.
250g (or a quarter of a kilo) is PLENTY of weight to shave in one reasonably priced part.

Your weights are also wrong. XT's are 860g with triple rings, Saints are 1100g+ in single-ring format. 1050g with an e13 38t ring. Switch the XT's triples for a single ring that weighs 40g and we are talking a crankset that weighs in the 750g region, if not less.

So that's a 300g difference realistically. If you can run a lighter part (that also happens to be cheaper) without much if any strength penalty why wouldn't you?

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Davf said:
I have heard of xt's snapping.
I have heard of Intenses snapping and Boxxer world cups too.

The "i heard of xxx snapping" point is stoopid. Things break, deal with it.

To the original question, XT's are great cranks - phased out only now by Hones and Saints. Which I would go for purely because they aimed at what you want. That said, I am not sure how much heavier they are compared to XT's.

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
Had my first ride on the xt cranks at coffs and bent my left hand crank in qualifying when i clipped that left hand tree on the entrance to the bush after the top jump. It was a big bend too but the pedal as still straight.