Shimano XT M785 brake line shortening

avanti_rider

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
Had a quick scroll through a search for this, but couldnt find quite what i am looking for. I have unscrewed the threaded barrel that secures the hydraulic hose to the lever of the XT M785 brakeset, and the trimming guide i have states to simply "remove the cable". I gave it a bit of a yank, but it didnt seem like it was going far. Am i missing something, or should it just pull straight out? Cheers for the advice in advance!

Shredden

Knows his goats
Yeah if you have removed the threaded thingy, just pull it. It will be tight, but it will come out. Dont flick the fluid in your eye like my intelligent self.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah if you have removed the threaded thingy, just pull it. It will be tight, but it will come out. Dont flick the fluid in your eye like my intelligent self.
What stupid said. Tight, just yank hard. And don't let the reservoir oil drip out onto your calipers/rotor, like MY intelligent self.

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
and if your bleeding from the caliper, make sure the syringe hose is a snug fit otherwise it will blow off and spray oil all over the caliper, bike and half the room. like my intelligent self.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
If you are careful you can shorten the hose without bleeding.

You need a spare hose insert (Silver needle thing) and grommit (Brass ring).
Take the brake lever off and hold it vertical with the hose pointing up.
Slide the rubber boot away down the hose
Completely undo the 8mm hex and slide it down the hose out of the way.
Now while keeping the hose facing upwards pull the hose out, Its a little snug but will pop out.

Put the lever somewhere with the hose hole facing upwards.
Fluid won't drip out of the hose as long as facing upwardish.
Cut the hose to the required length.
On the remaining hose ensure the rubber boot is first, Next the 8mm hex, Then grommit and finally the hose insert. This will need to be pushed in, Don't damage its front face.

Now re-assemble in reverse keeping the lever vertical

There will be a little minute bit of air but that will slowly work its way out via the reservoir

Succcess

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
^^^ +1

have done that several times.

another thing you can do is pump the brake with the caliper off the disk to push the pads closer, leaving a small gap or a thin spacer in between them.

do said process then spread pads apart. should push oil back into the resivior and any air that made it into the line

awesome breaks, enjoy them

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
^^^ +1

have done that several times.

another thing you can do is pump the brake with the caliper off the disk to push the pads closer, leaving a small gap or a thin spacer in between them.

do said process then spread pads apart. should push oil back into the resivior and any air that made it into the line

awesome breaks, enjoy them
+1 Mine works okay, but really needs a bleed. It needs a quick pump up if I turn the bike upside down.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Thread dig... But for someone new to this, how hard is it to push in the hose insert? do you really need the clamp & mallet?

Keachy

Likes Dirt
Oz Davo. I slightly widens the hose with a clean spoke and then put needle in with clamp and rubber mallet. Do not forget olive. Will compress together nice once in lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChopSticks

Banned
Thread dig... But for someone new to this, how hard is it to push in the hose insert? do you really need the clamp & mallet?
def not possible to 'push' the insert into the hose by hand.... youll need a mallet/hammer

I clamp the hose with the supplied block in a vice, and slowly tap the insert into the hose.

Also use the clamp blocks as a cutting guide !

mitchy_

Llama calmer
definitely possible to push the insert in by hand, if you're not a bitch.

as Keachy says; slip on the olive, open up the hose with a spoke, torx bit or similar, push in insert then slide up the olive. have done it plenty of times, no problems.

ChopSticks

Banned
Thanks, hopefully I can get the blocks from the LBS.
if your LBS wants to charge you a ridiculous amount... just make some yourself

drill a 4/5mm hole in a small block of wood and cut it in half.... and theres your block !

same can be done for a hose cutting jig !

definitely possible to push the insert in by hand, if you're not a bitch.
didnt know you ran Shimano brakes.... always thought you had hope hydros??

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Jesus, there's a specific block for this job?

Mmmm, hi tech approach, hold hose in pair of pliers, rest pliers on edge of kitchen bench ( preferably not while wife is there ), tap with a hammer, then yell, "SHIT!!!!!!- I forgot to put the olive on first!) - proceed to find out that the olive will still go over the end of the hose anyway - twice I've done that, and neither time was I drunk.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Jesus, there's a specific block for this job?

Mmmm, hi tech approach, hold hose in pair of pliers, rest pliers on edge of kitchen bench ( preferably not while wife is there ), tap with a hammer, then yell, "SHIT!!!!!!- I forgot to put the olive on first!) - proceed to find out that the olive will still go over the end of the hose anyway - twice I've done that, and neither time was I drunk.
The block comes with the brakeset. I just hold the hose in the block in one hand and tap the barb in with a sledgehammer in the other hand.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Better still, buy the Goodridge hose kit. Much better fittings.......no olive required.

I am under no illusions that they feel any different to the standard hoses btw.

uppo

Likes Bikes
using the supplied yellow block

The block comes with the brakeset. I just hold the hose in the block in one hand and tap the barb in with a sledgehammer in the other hand.
I put the block in a clamp to hold it in place.
I've done six brakes now.
Some tap in really easy, others are a pain.
The olive does fit over the barb