Shimano XTR Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur @ My Mountain

Mad4singletrack

My Mountain
Shimano XTR Shadow Plus M985 Rear Derailleur now @ My Mountain from $319.95!

Possibly one of the coolest innovations of the past 12 months, Shimano brought out a new iteration of their XTR Rear Derailleur dubbed "Shadow Plus". Falling into the Trail category of XTR, the M985 rear derailleur brings with it brand new technology that is targeted towards long travel trail bikes and the aggressive riders among us wanting maximum chain security on their drivetrain. While chain devices have been around for some time, Shimano looked at the other end of the bike and saw that they could increase tension on the chain with a stronger spring in the derailleur cage to reduce chain slap. Distinguished by their Gold switch, the Shadow Plus XTR derailleur has quickly established itself as a must-have for Trail and All Mountain riders, providing a significant advantage over standard derailleurs in terms of chain retention.
For those wanting to read up more about the Clutch-equipped derailleur, check out the Shimano XTR Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur M985 here.

Along with all of the new 2012 Shimano & SRAM groupsets, we now have updated information and pricing on all the new XTR components including the M985 Rear Derailleur, which you can check out on our website: www.MyMountain.com.au
We also have an in-depth drivetrain feature coming up on our website with reviews of the XTR Shadow Plus technology along with comparisons on the new SRAM and Shimano groupsets as well as how to pick the right drivetrain option for your bike and riding style. With news about New Products, Shop Rides, Events and other News, keep an eye out on the Blog here.

Otherwise, drop into MMHQ in Brunswick or drop us a line if you want to know more about upgrading your drivetrain; we'll be more than happy to share our experience and technical expertise.

[video=youtube_share;3PTOYBvWHLg]http://youtu.be/3PTOYBvWHLg[/video]

Attachments

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Not to highjack the thread but i got a question. The new tension system (yellow lever) on the XTR does a great job of adding extra tension to the spring reducing chain slap and the derailleur jumping around. Why dont they just install a stiffer spring and have it always engaged. If you have the option of a rear mech that can be stiff or normal - why would you ever want it to be normal. I personally ride Saint mechs for this very reason - but would be nice to have the weight of a XTR with stiffness of a Saint. Surely it is just a stronger spring?
I test rode one and it works - but set and forget is more effective. Not shit stirring just curious.

Crittski

Likes Dirt
I have read that you turn it off to help get the wheel off easier, but otherwise leave it left on. Mind you, I don't have one, so don't have any experience with it. Good luck with the sale you have on this

Big JD

Wheel size expert
It's not just a new stiffer spring, it's a special clutch setup that only allows movement of the cage when it is needed during shifting. If you're not shifting it stays still and stops your chain slapping, it's even adjustable. I'm waiting for it to filter down to XT next year before i go pulling the trigger. Check this...
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Inside-Shimanos-Shadow-Plus-Mech-and-How-To-Adjust-.html
I hear ya Nikki but I am still curious why you would ever want it disengaged (if only to remove the rear wheel). Surely it will filter down. The clutch/spring makes a huge difference. I recently took off my Saint for an old XTR and the racket drove me nuts.

Mad4singletrack

My Mountain
Not to highjack the thread but i got a question. The new tension system (yellow lever) on the XTR does a great job of adding extra tension to the spring reducing chain slap and the derailleur jumping around. Why dont they just install a stiffer spring and have it always engaged. If you have the option of a rear mech that can be stiff or normal - why would you ever want it to be normal. I personally ride Saint mechs for this very reason - but would be nice to have the weight of a XTR with stiffness of a Saint. Surely it is just a stronger spring?
I test rode one and it works - but set and forget is more effective. Not shit stirring just curious.

Excellent question, and it seems that it has been addressed by others already.
The ability to turn the friction clutch "off" is purely to allow for easy wheel removal/installation. With the switch in the "on" position, it is quite difficult to move the derailleur at all, and makes getting the wheel out quite the challenge. It is worth noting that you can actually set the gold switch anywhere between the "on" and "off" positions, for varying amounts of friction. You can also open up the mechanism to add additional clutch friction, though too much will decrease shifting response - particularly if you're using a 2x or 3x chainring up front.

One of the photo's of the XTR derailleur above is mine, which I have been testing for the past 3 months. With the friction clutch engaged, there is indeed zero chainslap - very noticeable on rough descents that would normally result in noise and clanging from the chain banging around. For the silence alone, I think the Shadow Plus is worth every penny.
However, I am also yet to have the chain derail on me with the new derailleur, so combined with the reduced chain slap I think Shimano are on to a winner.