Shimming/lathing dropper post for odd sized tube.

MARKL

Eats Squid
This story seems a natural 'fit' for this thread.

A fellow rotorburner who shall remain nameless had an unfortunate incident in the skills park at Stromlo late last year and has hardly ridden since. As they 'there's always time for lube'...well there wasn't....result...

Displaced coccyx...from the inside:distrust:

moorey

call me Mia
Soo, did the whole show work out, looking at doing something similar for the cove if it was successful
Ended up shimming out the frame and running a 27.2 with a 30.0-27.2 shim. Mast on a dropper is too thin, but would reem a frame if couldn't shim it.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Ended up shimming out the frame and running a 27.2 with a 30.0-27.2 shim. Mast on a dropper is too thin, but would reem a frame if couldn't shim it.
Were you ever brave enough to try that shaved post or did self preservation kick in?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a similar tangent, has anyone used a shim on a dropper post?

Looking at a new frame that's got a 31.6mm seat tube (carbon) and my relatively new Fox dropper is 30.8mm. Obviously a new post is the ideal way to go but a new dropper is going to cost around $500 over a $20 shim

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Looking at a new frame that's got a 31.6mm seat tube (carbon) and my relatively new Fox dropper is 30.8mm. Obviously a new post is the ideal way to go but a new dropper is going to cost around $500 over a $20 shim

Yes. I've done this with a KS Lev and it works without any issues at all.

moorey

call me Mia

On 3 bikes currently. Works a treat. Get the USE branded ones. $10 at wiggle.
Might have a spare spare now. Can check if you need one.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On 3 bikes currently. Works a treat. Get the USE branded ones. $10 at wiggle.
Might have a spare spare now. Can check if you need one.
Awesome, 10 bucks at wiggle is cheap enough but if you've got a 30.8 to 31.6 laying about I'll send you the money rather than overseas

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Yep, running shims on both my bikes with 31.6mm seat tubes. No issues.

safreek

cheers for that, makes sense. So much to play with in the words you use though, reaming, shims, mast. if a bloke had a suspicious mind he would think it was a setup.:Banane20::Banane16: