Shinnies or knees?

rgsupergrover

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, what do you prefer, just shin guards or just knee?

I am tossing up between the two for buying veggies or 661 kyle straites...

what gets damaged the most in your oppinion?

.Luke.

Likes Dirt
if you're going to be wearing pants alot more then i reckon the knees are the go. If more shorts then go the shinnies, shinnies do get quite hot in pants.

rgsupergrover

Likes Dirt
if you're going to be wearing pants alot more then i reckon the knees are the go. If more shorts then go the shinnies, shinnies do get quite hot in pants.
Cool, I always wear jeans. Infact I am wearing the same 3 week old pair now. Does anyone elses do that? or is that 4 weeks?

driftking

Wheel size expert
i wear the shinnys with knee's in them, if i had separate it depends what im doing if its a track with more rocky terrain and theres a high chance ill crash ill go with the shins plus knees but other wise i think id prefer just knee's.
shinny's get hot even while im wearing shorts.

it all comes down to how safe you want to be.

if ur wearing jeans deffinalty go with just knee's

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to have some shinnies, and hated them, so uncomfortable. I switched to knee pads, some Kyle Strait's... They're awesome, I wouldn't swap back for anything.

And I always wear shorts. You cop some scrapes on the shins... but it's not too bad.

rgsupergrover

Likes Dirt
I used to have some shinnies, and hated them, so uncomfortable. I switched to knee pads, some Kyle Strait's... They're awesome, I wouldn't swap back for anything.

And I always wear shorts. You cop some scrapes on the shins... but it's not too bad.
coolies. On my first real mtb, I rolled down a flight of stairs (ok, 3 stairs) and cut my shit to the bone. wooo, hooo :(. but I always wear jeans now, and can actually contrill a bike XD.

Knees it is!

The_Guy

Likes Dirt
i reckon shinnies and knees
even if u wear jeans, your shins get raped just as much as wearing shorts

rgsupergrover

Likes Dirt
I will only be doing some really light street/dj stuff, nothing crazy. I would hate to wear full shinnies stc for this so I recon I will go with the knees, and these ones go down the shin a bit anyway.

Thanks for all the speedy replies.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Shinnies and knees. Man, there's nothing like feeling new V8s carving into your shin when you slip off the pedals...... I'm old though, so I have to protect the bod :p

.Alex.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have 661 veggie knee and shin, they attach via Velcro so you can where both or just knee or just shin, awesome
i would say you must have the knee to protect from any long term damage that wont heel, bit the shins are great to stop pedals in bone,
thats what good bout the veggie you can mix and match,

davee

Likes Bikes
go for shinnies and knees, I opened my shins pretty bad on my peddles only just didn't need to get stitches.
Got my self some pads cant go wrong really no matter how you come off you are protected.

virgin321

Likes Dirt
I guess it depends on how often you actually cut up your shins when you ride. since I don't really I only wear knees and shinnies get super hot...

rgsupergrover

Likes Dirt
I dont ride that hard, so when I do slip on the pedals (rarely) it doesnt hurt.

Clearly I need to ride a bit harder :p

Thanks for all the input guys, oh and I looked into the mix 'n match veggies, cheers.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
either way you go, its always handy to have both, there r a few brands out there that are a 2 piece etc, but even just walking my bike out of the shed ill sometimes catch the V12's with my shin n even a light tap will sometimes leave blood.

but in saying that i dont tend to ware either on DJ or street sessions, couple of my mates do, reuben full knee n shin rob only knee. its only DH that ill gear up for.

snacks.

Banned
It is pretty much down to personal preference but generally if i am using flats i allways use shinnies but with clips i just run like the 661 knee guards.

i second that, i only wear knees but thats cause im almost always clipped in. i do have a set of really old shinnies for the odd occasion im not using clips

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
I always pull up at the local skate park and start unpacking my shinnies much to the amusement of the kids on their BMX's.

I always wonder why they dont wear helmets and pads? When they hit their shins mine hurt just watching! Get those shinnies - im using the B.Lopes atm