Shiver SC questions...

Roastin

Likes Bikes
i just did a bit of a search and found out that in 04, they reduced the travel from 120mm to 100mm... anyone knows why? i'm not too versed with all its terms like HSCV and ETA... if you were a rider who does lots of street, lil dirt jump, and dual crown cuz its a bit restrictive for dirt jumping and street... why did venturing into DH... which year model would you reccomend and why?? i don't want a marz replace the ETA with dual HSCV in the 04 model?

i'm actually looking more at the 03 model cuz of the extra 20mm travel... and also cuz it'll be slightly cheaper than the 04 model... anyone has reasons why i should or shouldn't go for this fork? i'm looking at these cuz i wanna fit in a big tire up front and not have to run a dual crown for mud clearance... plus it looks pimp as...

won't be getting these here so pricing shouldn't be much of an issue...

cheers...

Ty

Eats Squid
this is a total stab in the dark but i'd say it's to increase bushing overlap.

everyone bitches about SC shivers being flexy so i guess marz steped up.

truth be know that they are only flexy when you put them between your legs and twist them, which isn't really something that happens when your out on the trail (unless you dumb enough to get stuck in a knee deep rut and try and steer out); and as with shiver DCs as soon as they compress slightly the increaed bushing overlap increases stiffness which inturn cancels out the whole flexyness issue.

so i guess this just marzocchi correcting a non existant problem to placate people who thought the older forks had a flexing issue.

(i hope that made some sence)

lotec

Banned
Ty said:
unless you dumb enough to get stuck in a knee deep rut and try and steer out
are you paying me out? :lol:
my guess is that its to make them better for dirt jumping while still having the advantages of an inverted fork? i could be completly wrong and knowing me i am but thats my guess

Roastin

Likes Bikes
ok but are there any other known problems with the 03 shiver? like leaky seals, shocks exploding or what not...

G

then buy some marz z1's or dropoffs or something? a usd fork for dirt jumping wont be any good?

G

wouldnt the compression be more as your going up on the lip as there is more force on the fork?

Rik

logged out
Fuzzy said:
wouldnt the compression be more as your going up on the lip as there is more force on the fork?
So you're saying for DJ'ing having more unsprung weight would be good?
Ummm... what other things give more force on an USD fork for jumping, I'm confused :?:

Roastin

Likes Bikes
ok you guys got me confused as well...........anyways just found out about the dorado sc..........and they sound much better than the shiver sc.......but i'm thinking the price will be just as pretty........what are your thought on the dorado sc?

lotec

Banned
holy bajeebus i just looked on the bike addiction website and the dorado scs are $2,895 same as the dcs squid if thats wrong FIX IT at that price if you must have a single crown usd fork GET THE SHIVER and people complaining about flex theres always something to complain about, flex is the latest fashion i KNOW that of you put them between your knees and twist WHOAH IT FLEXES BIG DEAL on the trail and with your weight compressing it a bit it wont flex as much and if your going fast enough you wont notice it! as ty said "unless your dumb enough to get stuck in a rut and try and steer out" are you that dumb, your not related to me so you cant be :wink:

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A guy I know rides 2002 Shiver SC's, I asked him about the flex...his reply was "Sure, they flex like every other fork, but who the fuck looks where their front tire is in comparison to their stem mid berm?"...

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sxereturn said:
A guy I know rides 2002 Shiver SC's, I asked him about the flex...his reply was "Sure, they flex like every other fork, but who the fuck looks where their front tire is in comparison to their stem mid berm?"...
hahaha. Agreed. I've got a 2003 and it's a mighty fine performing fork. I never notice any flex and it resists bottoming so well with the speed sensitive damping. Top notch fork from the masters of suspension.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
shivers are fine..... all forks flex, and what does flex matter??

i had some about a year ago and they felt pretty good (you know how a marz feels) they lacked travel IMO but ohh well....

they look soooo cool !!

depending on the price id get em.... (not worth the $1500 RRP )

Roastin

Likes Bikes
ok i just got wind of the price of the dorados........ for that kinda money i can get 2 pairs of the shivers!!
looks like the decision has been made...........the only thing now is if i should go for the 03 model with more travel or the 04 ones with less travel.......

how different would dual hscv cartridges feel compared to one hscv and one eta??

Rik

logged out
Roastin said:
how different would dual hscv cartridges feel compared to one hscv and one eta??
I'd assume the ETA+HSCV would feel pretty much similar to dual HSCV. The ETA system is a travel-adjustment system, it's interesting they had it on the SC, but it'd make sense I guess, a burly "freeride" capable fork that can be climbed up hills.
IMO the 03 model would be pretty darn nice, if you can get a hold of it...

man

Likes Dirt
just a quick thought b4 u go out and buy them,
have u considered some sherman fireflys or flicks???
they seem great for ur style of riding, stiff for a dh sc, lots of tire clearance,130mm travel, and look so nice...i dont know if u have already glued ur mind on the shivers but these forks are definatly worth a look.

hope i helped at least this (---------------) much...
-sam