shock confusion

hucker_boy

weekly chode
hey i have a shock that is a lil bit too big for my demo frame but when i conmpress the shock a lil it fits in perfect and it works fine, does anyone know if this is bad for the frame or shock?

Last edited:

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
Ive done the same thing. Bought a shock a little to big put compressed it. Doesnt do anything bad to the bike at all.

Ivan

Eats Squid
So you compressed the shaft and coil, or just the shaft and adjusted the preload collar so that there isn't any preload on the coil?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Have you considered what will happen when your rear shock rebounds hard, followed by the coil becoming loose in the collar, followed by the coil bouncing out of alignment on the collar, followed by you landing and compressing the shock again?

Downhill is dangerous enough, without risking your health by purposefully and knowingly riding on equipment that has an increased chance of failing.

hucker_boy

weekly chode
but i tightened the coil as much as i can with my hand so it isnt going to just fall off, i have been using this without a single problem for a few months now

Sov

Likes Dirt
If you need to compress the shock to get it on your bike, I'd guess that your frame is topping out before the shock does (metal on metal contact probably, due to the swingarm fouling or linkage geometry etc.) This is bad!!! I wouldn't ride the bike until you get the correct length shock back on it or something will eventually break.

mad greek

Likes Dirt
but i tightened the coil as much as i can with my hand so it isnt going to just fall off, i have been using this without a single problem for a few months now

One rule of thumb is to not ask a question then not accept the answers. They are VERY valid answers, and you are running a pretty large risk (especially with most shocks being mounted VERY close to your privates..)

My suggestion is to find another shock that fits, or talk to someone about getting the shock professional revalved to shorten the stroke of it. Either way, it'll be safer (but more expensive) than what you're doing right now.

Cheers, and good luck
Theo

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
hucker_boy, can you re post your original problem? It is better to leave your question in your post in case others may benefit from it...........