Shock Replacement - Turner 5 Spot

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just put a cranecreek DBair inline on it and manually tune it with all the adjustable knobs to what you like and be done with it.

moorey

call me Mia
Just put a cranecreek DBair inline on it and manually tune it with all the adjustable knobs to what you like and be done with it.
Yes and no. Not familiar with the Turner kinematics, but a CCDBA will not play well with an Orange, regardless of tune. The longer stroke on Alpine was better (216mm and 160mm travel), but the Five (190 with 140mm...closer to the Turner numbers) was just a pig. The monarch RT3 (non plus) was/is many times better on the single pivot (not that the Turner is)

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes and no. Not familiar with the Turner kinematics, but a CCDBA will not play well with an Orange, regardless of tune. The longer stroke on Alpine was better (216mm and 160mm travel), but the Five (190 with 140mm...closer to the Turner numbers) was just a pig. The monarch RT3 (non plus) was/is many times better on the single pivot (not that the Turner is)
I love mine, very little issues with it compared to other shocks I've run in the past. There's a large range of adjustment without the need of dismantling the shock to change shims, you should be able to replicate any of the tunes of the basic shocks you've mentioned. I've found them to be way superior to the fox floats and monarches. You can change or order the shock with different climb switch orifices but you can also use the climb lever position to adjust the lockout amount which would suit someone that wants that stiff feel for climbing or commuting.

moorey

call me Mia
I love them on most bikes....running on my spitty and tranny....was on the rune and wilson before selling. Just couldn't find a nice feel, even with NSD doing the recommended tune. I think its Orange/SP related. I've found that in air shocks, a more basic low volume shock plays much nicer than a fancier shock. @Hipstar didn't believe me until spending big on various shocks, then trying a McLeod on his Five, and resorting to a coil on his Alpine after trying DVO and Fox X2.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
How would one go about finding these shocks in the appropriate size.

Google is not being my friend on this one

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The banshee bikes would be a reasonable comparison to the Turner. I had a CCDBA on a giant glory and REALLY liked it. I haven't tried them on anything else.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Here is 2 radical suggestions for you...

1) contact a retailer and ask if they can order one in for you in the dimensions you require. Crazy I know!

2) contact the importer and ask if they have the dimensions you require.

I know I know...just icing crazy talk, but you will be amazed how often I've actually gotten results from going to the source of something I want.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

Is this any good:

Cardy George

Is this any good:

I've been looking at them. Raises my next question though, how much difference is there between Performance spec and Factory spec Foxes?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I've been looking at them. Raises my next question though, how much difference is there between Performance spec and Factory spec Foxes?
The only difference between Factory and Performance Elite is the Kashima coat. Performance line (not Elite) will have a simpler damping system with fewer adjustments. You’ll likely only be able to buy the Performance/Performance Elite shocks second hand as they tend to be primarily OEM spec.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I used to own this exact model.
It needs a shock with a very light tune to get the most out of it - mine came with an RP23 with the lightest possible tune. Rode like a dream.

Cardy George

I used to own this exact model.
It needs a shock with a very light tune to get the most out of it - mine came with an RP23 with the lightest possible tune. Rode like a dream.
You used to own that exact bike :D

I bought it off Daniel Hale, who bought it off you
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/sold-turner-5-spot-2013-large.313754/

Maybe @Cardy George will have an RP3 of his own one day.
Soon, one day soon......

Last edited: