Shock Sizing

Minlak

custom titis
Soooo.... I have a Transition Smuggler 2016 model and am happy enough with the geo etc which means any upgrades I would do by getting a new bike would really only be components and maybe a weight saving as it is a heavy fucker of a frame. So I am good with parts what goes where and how and what I would fit but shocks seems like some form of voodoo magic to me and all the information is in pig latin.

I want to upgrade the rear shock from its current one and I know the sizing is
REAR SHOCK: 190mm x 51mm (7.5” x 2”)

So I really like my Diamond fork and thought wtf lets get a DVO rear for this bike and eventually a DVO front. This is where it loses me. These are the sizes available.
upload_2018-12-23_12-50-24.png

The next part of the problem is will the hangy thing off the side fit on my frame?

upload_2018-12-23_12-51-48.png

If I cant upgrade substantially I may as well just continue to get the current one serviced all the time and stick with it.

teK--

Eats Squid
190x50 is the one you want. there is some minor rounding of a 1mm whenever they convert between imperial and metric.

dvo should have detailed drawings with shock dimensions so you can work out if the piggyback will fit.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As above 50.8mm which is either 50 or 51 depending on the day of the week. Should fit I reckon. Best bet is to order 200x57 then realise it is the wrong size and give it to me rather that declare your fuckwittery.

Warp

Likes Dirt
I reckon what you really want is a coill shock...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
I reckon what you really want is a coill shock...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Just tell me what I want what I really really want....
Sorry I have been drinking.....

Umm coil is whole nother form of voodoo that scares me. i at least feel like I have an understanding of Air.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck the coil @Minlak! Coil enthusiasts are all wierd and don't appreciate your ability to achieve pin point accuracy with your air shock.

As above, 1mm ain't going to worry shit. I also agree with @Boom King about the piggy back, you should be sweet. I would recommend you investigate the maximum psi for the rear shock and recommended pressure settings for your frame though, it is best to be sure it will work out than be caught out.

Minlak

custom titis
Fuck the coil @Minlak! Coil enthusiasts are all wierd and don't appreciate your ability to achieve pin point accuracy with your air shock.

As above, 1mm ain't going to worry shit. I also agree with @Boom King about the piggy back, you should be sweet. I would recommend you investigate the maximum psi for the rear shock and recommended pressure settings for your frame though, it is best to be sure it will work out than be caught out.
Pressure and settings? Are they not just my fatness related? Or are you suggesting the shock might not be able to handle my beefiness
And I should check that ?
Told you everything suspension just leaves me feeling dumb?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pressure and settings? Are they not just my fatness related? Or are you suggesting the shock might not be able to handle my beefiness
And I should check that ?
Told you everything suspension just leaves me feeling dumb?
Most air shocks have a maximum amount of osi that can be pumped into them. Check that the maximum psi and your weight are compatible. This varies with shocks and frame design so may require a chat with the manufacturer or a suspension expert.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Email DVO. They'll let you know how it will work for you on that frame and also give you a baseline setup to start you off