Shock upgrade advice please: CaneCreekDBair, MonarchPlus or CCDBinline for NorcoRange

Axelnose

Likes Bikes
Is it me or is that dirt cheap for a rc3?
It's almost half price of the CCdb.

Off topic...I got my wife a 2012 reign2 and only rode it yesterday for the first time and took it down some singlet rack and I was so surprised how poppy and live it felt (I was in the air on every little jump or over any little obstacle I would usually try and ride over with my Range...and I loved it )all on a 32fox and a rp23
It's exactly how I want my Range to behave without selling my range and buying the old reign equivalent (trance). I'm almost considering selling the reign and buying a used Trance ('for my wife').

hakka

Likes Dirt
Is it me or is that dirt cheap for a rc3?
It's almost half price of the CCdb.
They seem to be very cheap on all SRAM stuff. I got my Pike and the XX1 groupset from there, much cheaper than anyone else I could find.

Z

Zaf

Hibike is just as competitively priced and although you spend few euro more for postage, they use DHL and it gets in significantly faster than bike-discount.de.

Seriously though, the Vorsprung cans make a massive difference to the behaviour of the Fox shocks and will beat a shock replacement in cost every time.

Keep in mind, from what I heard speaking to the North Cal and German Fox Suspension guys in Rotorua, they do plan to offer the higher negative spring pressure cans as an aftermarket upgrade. They were waiting for Sea Otter to do the official release, and he was saying that they planned to keep the price competitive with the Debonair upgrades.

Not sure if they can hold true with that given current exchange rates, but it might be another option of its not something that had to happen immediately.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Hibike is just as competitively priced and although you spend few euro more for postage, they use DHL and it gets in significantly faster than bike-discount.de.
Good prices but whoever designed their website needs a kick in the nuts. DHL from bike-discount is a bit of a lucky dip, I've had 2 deliveries arrive within 7 days and one that took about 3 weeks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No idea where all this "it felt dead" sooking is coming from. I'm running the ccdba on my dh bike and it feels better than the long list of rear shocks I have used. There is a few buttons on there to adjust the compression and rebound...maybe give them a try?

Also...the fox rp23 mentioned earlier? They aren't so bad. People used to hate on them, but I've had them on a couple of bikes and really enjoyed them. Like all shocks put the correct sag in, fiddle with the knobs, and you've got a reliable ride. I'm pretty big on fiddling with my knobs when I ride, so quite enjoy fine tuning stuff any time I can.

Z

Zaf

The CCDB controls aren't for everyone. Not everybody has the time, inclination or effort to put in order to get the ride they want, and I can't fault them this.

Great shocks if you have the time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The CCDB controls aren't for everyone. Not everybody has the time, inclination or effort to put in order to get the ride they want, and I can't fault them this.

Maybe I got lucky or I'm not fussy, but it didn't take any longer than any other shock I've used. I reckon it was pretty close to the mark after 10 minutes of riding in my hallway and a few extra on the trail. DH laps do tend to lend themselves to tinkering more than a xc mega ride though. Punch out a lap, shuttle up, turn dial 1 click, punch out lap...

moorey

call me Mia

1. Remove from bike.
2. Have lbs post it to NSD, noting your frame, weight, and intended use.
3. Refit tuned shock.
4. Pronounce fox shocks dead to you.

Z

Zaf

You'll hear no argument from me. I lust for a CCDBair for my Yeti, but can't justify the cost given that I've got a Vorsprung canned Float X, which is pretty brilliant.

I'm just expressing a sentiment I have heard, not one I necessarily hold myself.

teK--

Eats Squid
Maybe I got lucky or I'm not fussy, but it didn't take any longer than any other shock I've used. I reckon it was pretty close to the mark after 10 minutes of riding in my hallway and a few extra on the trail. DH laps do tend to lend themselves to tinkering more than a xc mega ride though. Punch out a lap, shuttle up, turn dial 1 click, punch out lap...
After reading the canecreek manual (and very long tune guide on MTBR) it only took about an hour of riding one part of a track several times to go through the bracketing process and get the settings to 90% of where they were ideal. Then carry allen key and shock pump during next few rides to trim to personal preference.

Either that, or buy a Fox/RS and send it away to be tuned to frame/rider preference, which is a ~$200 cost on top of purchase of shock.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
No idea where all this "it felt dead" sooking is coming from. I'm running the ccdba on my dh bike and it feels better than the long list of rear shocks I have used. There is a few buttons on there to adjust the compression and rebound...maybe give them a try?

Also...the fox rp23 mentioned earlier? They aren't so bad. People used to hate on them, but I've had them on a couple of bikes and really enjoyed them. Like all shocks put the correct sag in, fiddle with the knobs, and you've got a reliable ride. I'm pretty big on fiddling with my knobs when I ride, so quite enjoy fine tuning stuff any time I can.
So your regularly pedalling your downhill bike up hills and on flow trails.... Read my posts. The CCDB is fine in your application. Which is why I haven't made the call to sell mine yet.

Moorey makes a good point about getting the shock tuned... I would have the low speed rebound needle changed out to allow for faster low speed rebound adjustments. But I can't justify the cost as the shock has failed twice and is currently in need of repair again.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So your regularly pedalling your downhill bike up hills and on flow trails.... Read my posts. The CCDB is fine in your application. Which is why I haven't made the call to sell mine yet.

Moorey makes a good point about getting the shock tuned... I would have the low speed rebound needle changed out to allow for faster low speed rebound adjustments. But I can't justify the cost as the shock has failed twice and is currently in need of repair again.
Non-techical pedal up lots - gotta get to the top of the hill. I ride the am at ourimbah on it regularly enough.

Get the repair and tune done at the same time.

Axelnose

Likes Bikes

I agree w the rp23...it feels a lot softer and is good for small bump stuff comparing to my ctd (feels like a minni coil) but hit anything decent and it bottoms out in no time (and no lockout).

I sent CC an email over a week ago now (hence I asked for feedback here) and still no reply
Who is their distributor here (NSD?)
So far I'm leaning towards the rc3 and ride it till it needs a service and then send it for a service and time when required. Shame the fox can upgrade kit is not out for a while as I think it could be a winner but only time will tell that

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree w the rp23...it feels a lot softer and is good for small bump stuff comparing to my ctd (feels like a minni coil) but hit anything decent and it bottoms out in no time (and no lockout).

I sent CC an email over a week ago now (hence I asked for feedback here) and still no reply
So far I'm leaning towards the rc3 and ride it till it needs a service and then send it for a service and time when required. Shame the fox can upgrade kit is not out for a while as I think it could be a winner but only time will tell that
You could always try a spacer in the RP23 air can to aid in ramp up and stop bottom outs. The corset will do the same as the new Fox can but it will exaggerate your bottom out problem even more.

I'd give the volume reducing spacers a try in your RP23 as you'll have your "mini coil" feel but with increased end stroke ramp up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cane creek distro is dirt works. NSD are your best bet for info. They know their suit and will get back to you.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

You can get a Vorsprung corset for Fox, everyone is raving about them.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290178

Last edited: