Shoes discomfort

Alysum

Likes Bikes
Hello,

I've been riding with clip on shoes for the first time; with some Shimano 122 SPD shoes and I have been very uncomfortable with them when riding.

I experience some kind of numbness on my foot, mostly the sole, where the shoe is clipped on to the pedal. It feels like the blood isn't flowing through properly :confused: so I have to un-clip the show and ride more freely to feel better.

Is this a common thing to happen with clip-on shoes ? Maybe the shoe isn't the right size for me ? They are a little bit too big so I tend to put the straps on a bit tight.

Any tips welcome :)

Unless your a little kid who yet could grow into them, you really should have chosen the right fitting pair.

You are right about blood not following. The straps being tight makes it a no-brainer.

You need to get some inner soles and glue and pad out the areas that are loose. The inner soles you should get are the dense foam types typically for sport shoes. If you happen to pass through K-mart anytime soon, pick up four "Footcare - Sport" blue inner soles. I use them doubled up in steel cap boots and they are excellent.

Alternatively, if your shoes are soo big that you really should take them back, you could use the closed-foam sleeping bag underlay (check the camping section) and bulk out the inside of the shoe where its loose or rubbing. Ghetto fix, but it works. I use them under the heel inside the shoe to make it even softer.

FYI, I don't ride with steel caps, I'm doing a TAFE course to learn how to use a plasma cutter/welder for this considering i will be buying one soon as I'm finished.

EDIT: oops, I just might add that the inner soles are to make the shoe fit properly and not force you to do the straps up tight to compensate for ill fitting shoes.

Last edited:

Choplicker

Likes Bikes
I also find that leaving the toe strap slightly looser than the others helps with reducing the numbness. It gives you toe more room to flex around helping with the blood flow. And you can scrunch them on those long rides when they go numb anyway.:p

Alysum

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys but then why do my feet feel better when they are not clip -on ? (using the mini pedal on the opposite end). Would that be because there is no pressure during the upward motion ?

I agree you need to be comfortable in your shoes; I have long narrow size 46 feet. The Shimano shoes size 46 were touching my big toes so I opted for the next size. Might have to look for another brand, I have tried lots already... :(

robwa

Likes Dirt
Where are ur cleat positioned on your shoes ?

I use to get numbness in my toes after riding with thongs on (dumb idea), i had all the presure on the ball of my foot. After getting clip in shoes the bike shop suggested i put the cleat slightly forward of the ball of my foot and i have never had any problems.

There is a massiv thread about cleat positioning and the different theories, give that a read if your interested.

Plow King

Little bit.
I had the same problem when I started, I then movved the position of the cleat the furthest back it could go and it elt alot better. Also if you get a new pair of shoes check uot the shimano dx spd shoes, they are likke sneakers, they are very comfortable and durable.

axertes

Likes Dirt
I had the same problem when I started, I then movved the position of the cleat the furthest back it could go and it elt alot better.
I had the exact same problem just yesterday. So I decided not to make a new thread and just lurk on this one.

Anyway, last night I realised that my cleats were a bit far toward my toe, so I moved them back about 5mm and they were great on my 13km commute this morning. I also feel more stable and can unclip a little bit more naturally (actually, yesterday I almost did the big fail-to-unclip-when-stopped... on a traffic island).

What type of pedals are you using Alysum? I ask because for SPDs I had them about 3/4 of the way forward, for my Times I had them all the way forward, so now they're 5mm back from their maximum forward position. Prolly depends on different shoes/feet/riding position etc. though.

Alysum

Likes Bikes
haha well last saturday at the manly dam I fell sideways with my shoes still cleated about 2-3 times :D I guess it takes time to get used to them and get the quick reflex to unclip them...

I have Shimano M122 SPD shoes, they are supposed to be good ones, just a little bit too big for me.

I will move the cleats forwars/backwards and see what is more comfortable.

I also want to make the clip on the pedals looser so easier to uncleat, do I need to turn the allen key in the - or + direction ?

axertes

Likes Dirt
There should be a little + and - on there :confused:

Prolly the general rule though: righty tighty, lefty loosey. I seem to recall it's just a little allan screw that tightens and pushes the spring.

Edit: I suck. The - direction. Me read good duuuuuuh.

Don't be afraid to have them loosened all the way.

Alysum

Likes Bikes
yeah that makes sense - to loosen or - for fewer accidents :D

Man it's so embarassing when you try to go over a kerb and fall sideways with the shoes uncleated...:(