Shoes for the wife

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I'm after some advice on some shoes for the wife. She rides XC and has been game enough to try a few races (Mogo 50km, Careflight classic, recent Nowra MTB101 -50km)
In the past she has ridden flats with joggers but is adventurous enough to try some clips or at least just have a decent shoe that isnt so flexy....

Reading through the posts here there is a shortage of Womens shoes, but I think something along the lines of the Tahoe from Specialized would suit her type of riding....and allow easy change from Flats to clipless

http://www.pro-am.com.au/Products/Tahoe shoe review.htm

Any suggestions on other shoes around this price point and in this category ?
Do you find the Mens shoes just as comfy ?

Thanks !
WCP

monc

Likes Dirt
I've got Shimano WM80's which are a carbon soled fairly stiff race-style shoe, and I've been very happy with them - they possibly aren't the best for a clip-in newby as the sole is a bit slippery. It also depends on how wide her feet are - I've got really narrow feet, so a lot of the mens shoes don't fit. If she's got wide feet, she'll probably find mens shoes OK.

The Sidi Eagle(??) also felt good, but is a bit more pricey, and I've got male friends that like their Specialized shoes.

Stiffer womens mtb shoes are really difficult to find, while there's plenty of soft and floppy lower end ones.

I was quite nervous with the whole concept of clipless pedals, so I first started with some that had a cage as well, so I could stand confidently on the pedal without clipping in on more technical bits. They don't shed mud nearly as well though.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the reply Monc.

Pretty sure she is not keen on a race style shoe and wants comfort over performance (though i love my carbon soled race shimanos !!)

Shimano make the Sh-WM40 which she has tried on and found really comfy so maybe we go with this as an intro into clipless...

Cheers !
WCP

monc

Likes Dirt
Actually, if you're in Melbourne and she's a size 41, I've got some similar old ones she could try

mez

Squid
Im excited I think I can help - Im a WIFEY pooh and ride XC on a small frame specialized bike and have just bought mens 08 Specialized Sport MTB shoes - size 41. I did however change the pedals and cleats to Shimano SPD - as the crankbrother smartys were crap. These shoes are really comfortable. I paid $149.00 (about recommeded retail) but easy to get your feet in and out of the cleats. I hope this helps

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey Mez,

We looked at those shoes and the decision for a first time shoe was that she didnt want one of "those" types of shoes :D

We payed a visit to Phantom Cycles through the week and as always Kerry was every helpful and did a sensational price on the Shimano SH-WM40's

They are very comfy (according to wifey) and she is happy with them.. .pedal wise (funny you mention candy's) as I had a brand new set of these floating around at home so bolted those on to her bike and we set off for a ride to see how long before she spat it.

By the time we had ridden the 2km of road from our place to get to the dirt she was clipping in and out of the pedal reasonably well... by the end of the single trail and the ride she was more focused on squirting me with water than worrying about clipping in and out. I see that as a good thing :)

A couple more cruisy rides and I dont think she will even know she is unclipping to put her foot down.

Thanks again for the advice !!

Last edited:

mez

Squid
Being a good WIFEY everything had to match the Specialized bike which goes with the Specialized shoes for the SPAZALIZED RIDER and I dont mind PINK:D