Shoes

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone heard of new SPD shoes for FR/DH that have the option to put the cleat closer to the centre of your foot, so you don't snap your ankles off when you land hard :?: :?: :?:

If you know who makes/stocks em, or even if you've heard of such a thing, let me know.

Don't bother telling me to switch to flats either smartasses!! :lol: :lol:

Ryan

Radministrator
Is this a "it'd be nice if they made 'em" question Kram? Or something you've actually seen / heard of around the place?
Switching to flats won't solve the problem anyway, I farked my ankle by overextending it (foot towards shin style) on flats worse than I've ever farked it before :(

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Ryan, Someone told me they have heard of them before. They are some kind of DH shoe. I was looking at my shoes this morning and I think it would be no problem to drill it out and cut away the rubber, so I'll give that a go first.
I'm not glad to hear that you hurt your ankle, but I'm glad to hear that it's not just an SPD thing. Tho, did you have your pedal close to the center of your foot at the time? I find that sometimes I just do a small drop and it gets hyper extended, while other times I go bigger and it's fine. I really need to be concious about pointing my toes downward.
Anyone else get this problem? It's a real shitter when you worry about this crap when you are about to do something you know you can do, but it might hurt even if you land ok.

Ryan

Radministrator
Nah, my foot was in the "optimum" pedalling position ie: Ball of the foot on the centre of the pedal. Cased the big jump at the Moggil 4X track and my foot just rotated waaay too far towards my shin. It's the only time I've ever had it happen to me but it kept me off the bike for a good month.
Good luck modifying the shoes, make sure the mounting plate runs all the way back through the sole though or you'll tear the shoes to bits.
Aside from the no hyper-extension benefit, cleats in the middle of a shoe don't sound like to good an idea to me. I'm no physio but I have a feeling the relative float you'd get would be reduced, making it worse for your knees plus your feet wouldn't be in the best position for generating power anymore.
Maybe you should just switch to flats ;)