Short 2010 888 evo review

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I posted this on the monkey, but figured people here would be interested in it as well.

The stock spring is quite stiff. I'm 105kg (230lb) and it is quite good for me with very little preload.

First ride and general impressions in the absolute pissing wet:

+Good:
~Fork goes about it's business without you thinking about it much
~Through tight steep g-out berm corners, it stays nice and high, very much like a 2010 team
~Has pretty amazing traction considering the conditions I was in
~Even with the lsc 1 click from fully closed (where I ended up), the fork opens up nicely, with roots and rocks disappearing
~Air volume adjustment is very effective
~Incredibly low stiction of the top, my 07' wc had a lot more
~Dials feel very quality and all the adjustments work well
~Feels like the lsc adjustment is actually doing it's job
~They use an 8" post mount, yay for no adapters
~The axle to crown if you don't follow Marzocchi's increadibly conservative "min" markings (so you adjust the stancion height after taking the top caps off and bottoming the fork) is around 575mm
~They come with the right amount of oil
~The cartridge is all hard anodised
~The cable guide is fantastic, two screws holding a cable block Rockshox/captain cable tie your future together are you listening??
~They are priced in almost Boxxer Race territory

-Bad:
~When you bottom it out, it still makes a clank, do they have bottomout bumpers?
~No shrink wrap on spring means it groans like a mating hippopotamus
~Rebound adjustment, though very effective is a bit non-linear and with far too many clicks (ie, you can turn it for a while and it doesn't change, then it all happens at once - need a parabolic needle)
~They still use their proprietary direct mount standard
~They use different sizes for the axle caps to the pinch bolts
~The dust seals are now recest ala Rockshox, but there isn't any notch to get a screw driver in there to lever them up. Might not really be a problem given that service intervals are every 50hrs
~The cartridge appears to still use a perminantly sealed seal head at the top, though the rebound piston can still be accessed by going out the bottom of the cartridge
~The cartrige rod is still quite small, which doesn't bode well considering I just broke the x side one in my 07' wc (noticed when I serviced them yesterday to sell them), so I'd advise minimising pre-load (apparently not a problem now, as the fork doesn't top out against the cartridge piston) Would still be nice for more oil flow to have a larger rod

I'll update this if I stuff around with the valving a bit.

Attachments

Last edited: