Short cage mechs???

Hi....thinking of getting a saint short cage rear mech but wondered what is the max size cassette I could run. I once run a roadie mech with a roadie cassette (11 21). Is it the same deal with mtb mechs and how does this all work out with chain devices?.

Thanks
Matt

AngryDave

Likes Bikes
Most, if not all saint mechs have a "mode converter" gubbin that allows you to use a cassette with a 34t big cog. A short cage mech in AM mode has a 23 tooth capacity, so you could use a single ring up front with a 34-11 cluster out the back. Still, check the relevant techdoc before you buy just to make sure.

Here's the one for a m810 9speed mech
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...001/SI-5WN0A-002-En_v1_m56577569830647022.pdf

Last edited:

markb84

Likes Dirt
My M820 has the mode converter. Many people are successfully using it with 11-36 however Shimano support a maximum of 11-34. If you were running a hardtail or a bike with a BB pivot and didn't need to consider chain growth then I'd say you'd be perfectly safe with 11-36. On bikes that are prone to chian growth during compression it's good to have the peice of mind that your chain won't snap when you bottom out.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Also hearing lots of great stuff about the Shimano Zee - seems hard to justify purchasing the Saint over it. Comes in two sizes, one for a max of 28T and another with a max of 36T (as digitalhippie mentioned). Impressive weight too coming in at 270g, which is under the weight of the Saint at a claimed 280g.