Shorts or Knicks

syconate

Likes Bikes
Quick question. For XC and freeride what are a good quality, comfortable knicks and or shorts with chamois?

Cheers

Nate

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok For XC- define XC- long hours in the saddle, working the but off... I personally use Assos bibs, they are hell comfortable, really well made and really the best money can buy- but they come with a huge price tag around $250 to $325 Aussie coin :(

Pearl Izumi are said to make great knicks also- I am going to try out some one day soon, seeing as I will be spending loads of my hours on the roadie in the next few months

Freeridey baggies with chamios- not really aware of any freeridey type shorts that come with a chamios- but check out N-ZO, Scody and the other one...whatw as it called? Bah! Loads of XC type shorts out there- but non with the length I'd call hu<kz0r@ crazy freeride shorts.

RCOH

Eats Squid
syconate said:
Quick question. For XC and freeride what are a good quality, comfortable knicks and or shorts with chamois?

Cheers

Nate
I have some Fox SHorts with knicks & chamois connected underneath. The shorts are made from the 'parachute' type material & aare comfy, the knicks are only connected at waistband so you can tun the who short insideout for drying/airing out. The chamois is comfy & i have experience no chafing from seams or anything.

I have been riding at least 15km a day in them for 5-6 days a week for past 3 weeks & they seem fine, I have to get my self another pair because I don't think it is entirely hygenic to use only 1 pair of knicks a week:eek: :eek:

They were $90 a couple of years ago, but I am pretty sure there would be similar things available now. Highly recommended.

M@DM!KE

Likes Dirt
Cannibal 11 Panel nicks are the best knicks i've used for XC riding for the price anyway (under $100). I normally just throw a pair of fox shorts or a pair of boardies over the top if i go for a street ride (or something a little less XC than usual)
There are companies such as Fox that do baggy shorts with chamois/nicks attached inside: For example....
http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Pro...=Shorts&proNumber=26044&imgName=26044028F.jpg
These are another great option for a cruise down to the cafe on the weekends or if you are a bit too extreme on your XC/trail rides to just wear knicks.
It does pose the problem as posted above: if you do ride frequently, it isn't entirely hygenic to be sporting the same pair of shorts/knicks every day.
Check out your LBS. A good shop will have several options for you.

Last edited:

scratchy

Farkin Activist
RCOH said:
I have been riding at least 15km a day in them for 5-6 days a week for past 3 weeks & they seem fine, I have to get my self another pair because I don't think it is entirely hygenic to use only 1 pair of knicks a week:eek: :eek:
Fark dude, you better be washing those puppies a couple of times a week otherwise you're going to have some big issues south of the border!

Avoid Netti, Made in Fiji now and they fall apart. Once you get used to knicks you don't bother with normal shorts. Like everything in cycling it's a compromise. The shorts comromise performance, knicks compromise looks. It depends what's important to you.

PS. Go Bib style knicks, you won't regret it!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
For knicks, Castelli is teh BOMB!!!

Awesome, awesome knicks. Cost about $120+ per pair though.

Netti, seems no matter what they make, sucks. Their top end knicks are the same.:confused: I own a pair, and seriously, I'll never buy them again. The backs fall down your butt-crack, they don't feel great, they feel sticky going on...

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I like my irule knicks, most comfy I've warn. They're shorter in the legs than most which can look a bit strange if you have long legs (unlike me). You can also order them with little pockets on the legs which are great for gels etc, which is particularly handy if you are wearing a pack and can't easily access jersy pockets.

Alchemist

Beena

BSC Bikes
It's 2XU Elite knicks all the way for me, I've had Assos, Cannondale etc, but i reckon the 2XU ones are the best of the lot, even through my brief ownership of them, and cheaper to boot!
(they are an Aussie company born from the high flyers from Orca - that means no middle man!)

ebuk

Likes Dirt
scratchy said:
PS. Go Bib style knicks, you won't regret it!
Why? What are the benefits of Bib style knicks? As I am looking for new knicks at the moment perhaps I shall expand my search to bib knicks.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
iRule....rule

iRule knicks put all others to shame, period! And for the quality are very resonably priced. Their jerseys are top notch too, though a bit racer-boy but wick away sweat amazingly well.

www.iRule.co.nz

This site also has heaps of info on nutrition, training and racing.

PI are good but oh so $$$$.

Pants.

...jim

skanky media ho
ebuk said:
Why? What are the benefits of Bib style knicks?
They don't sag at all. I find conventional knicks tend to move down and occationally snag my saddle if I'm moving around - bibs just stay stuck to your sack n' crack.

Other benefits are that they're a touch warmer - which might not be such a plus in high summer...they can have at your nipples somewhat as well.

bryce

Likes Dirt
Cúl-Báire said:
Freeridey baggies with chamios- not really aware of any freeridey type shorts that come with a chamios- but check out N-ZO, Scody and the other one...whatw as it called? Bah! Loads of XC type shorts out there- but non with the length I'd call hu<kz0r@ crazy freeride shorts.
i have a pair of netti shorts with chamios... very comfortable

Bodin

GMBC
I use Cannibal knicks for racing and Kathmandu "Cranky Pants" for commuting. The Kathmandu pants have a pretty simple chamois, but are incredibly durable and are completely devoid of any graphics, which I prefer. I've had them for about 5 years now and I hope they still make them, as I'll be wanting another pair when these die.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for general trail riding with everything else chucked in i use normal lycra bike shorts with chamoix and casual shorts ontop

scratchy

Farkin Activist
ebuk said:
Why? What are the benefits of Bib style knicks? As I am looking for new knicks at the moment perhaps I shall expand my search to bib knicks.
Hmmm. I can't tell you, it's a secret, passed down from experienced cyclist and rarely stumbled apon by the newbie.

Looking at the Tour de France and blokes who are on their bikes for weeks at a time belting out thousands of k's they all seem to be wearing bibs, theres a clue.

I'll give you another.

C--------O--------M--------F-------O--------R--------T

Take a chance ebuk. You won't regret it. (and yes, you can name your firstborn Scratchy in hommage, once you realise how comfortable they are). :)

ebuk

Likes Dirt
scratchy said:
(and yes, you can name your firstborn Scratchy in hommage, once you realise how comfortable they are). :)

But what if my first born is a girl?....oh wait, there's no difference

(just kidding)

Figured it was a comfort thing and already went out and bought a pair yesterday....