Should female riders be treated differently to male riders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
Another thread I posted has sparked some interesting discussion about whether we should treat females who ride any differently than males who ride. I figured it was a topic worthy of a separate discussion.

We all acknowledge that at an average event, or even an average weekend on the trails, male riders are likely to significantly outnumber female riders. So, should female riders be treated any differently to males?

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
I'll start by stating my own opinion, and declaring my bias.

There is a common, but not universal, desire to see greater female participation in MTB. I think we should be considerate towards all riders - however, given the low number of females riding, we should be particularly careful of how we treat them, recognising that they may feel vulnerable by virtue of being in a very male-dominated environment, and may be less confident than male riders. This, I think, is even more the case when it comes to the gravity disciplines and dirt jumping as opposed to XC or trail riding.

My wife and I both ride. We each own DH bikes and trail-friendly bikes. As a result, I've spent a bit of time riding with female riders and mixed groups in a variety of settings. I've observed that female riders tend to be more cautious in the way they approach things, and tend to have their confidence rattled a little more easily than male riders. If they do crash, they are less likely to brag about it, and more likely to tense up when approaching the site of their crash again.

Disclaimer: I am generalising, and don't want to be seen to imply that all female riders are less confident or more cautious than male riders.

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
this thread is stupid.... its the worst sort of common sense. Make someone feel welcome by treating them different?
sex, age, race blah blah blah.. none of it matters. just ride your bikes

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
No!!!!!!

I'm female and I don't want to be treated any differently at all, thank you.

That said, I'd like to be treated with a bit of respect, just like ANY other rider should be.

Perhaps the question shoujld be, should BEGINNER riders be treated differently to more experienced riders????

Then I would say YES, to a degree, but it all comes down to respect... and manners.

scblack

Leucocholic
I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11 said:
this thread is stupid.... its the worst sort of common sense. Make someone feel welcome by treating them different?
sex, age, race blah blah blah.. none of it matters. just ride your bikes
Your post is stupid actually.

Lets change the scenario slightly.
Think of two footballers - both male, one is 120kg first grade prop - very strong, very experienced. The other is a 50kg 15 year old at his first season in the game.

They turn up to the season's first training session. Do you pair them off for training?

NO, you treat them differently, as they have different needs.

If I am on a ride with a female as opposed to a male, in general I will be quieter, less reckless (I'm trying to get the right word here), and do less technical stuff, as GENERALLY females have less confidence, be more cautious and show less bravado than guys do. It will depend on the female though - if she has great skills, then the above may not be necessary and you just get into it as otherwise.

Maybe the SKILL level means the change rather than gender. But then (although I'm hardly the most skilled) usually I am a more skilled rider than the females I have ridden with.

Can you tell I rarely ride with females?

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
No.
People are always bitching about equal rights (im in no way being sexist here people) but then when it comes to sport and physical activity its always different for men and women.
Its one or the other, not one when its convenient and then the other when you don't like the possibility of a challenge.

Also, if things are made different for females they will feel different and out of place losing their sense of belonging which i think would in turn, discourage more females turning to MTB which is NOT GOOD!

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
at a local moto-x race in march there was a 16-17 yr old girl racing in the class i was. im 28, now the only reason i just beat her was probably more my endurance than skill. so no, they shouldnt be treated different because they can be as competitive, and, better.

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
scblack said:
If I am on a ride with a female as opposed to a male, in general I will be quieter, less reckless (I'm trying to get the right word here), and do less technical stuff, as GENERALLY females have less confidence, be more cautious and show less bravado than guys do. It will depend on the female though - if she has great skills, then the above may not be necessary and you just get into it as otherwise.

Maybe the SKILL level means the change rather than gender. But then (although I'm hardly the most skilled) usually I am a more skilled rider than the females I have ridden with.
I think this better captures the idea I tried to express in post 2 than what I actually wrote.

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
scblack said:
Your post is stupid actually.

Lets change the scenario slightly.
Think of two footballers - both male, one is 120kg first grade prop - very strong, very experienced. The other is a 50kg 15 year old at his first season in the game.

They turn up to the season's first training session. Do you pair them off for training?

NO, you treat them differently, as they have different needs.

Can you tell I rarely ride with females?

that's so leftfield man, stop smoking so much crack! haha

but seriously, censoring a way you act, and the trails you ride around a women, is just stupid. Basing it off skill level is different.. but that being said no one will get better by sticking to fireroads their entire life. I can understand that a dude shouldn't act "a certain way" around women, but in reality that same line really applies in general.. but there is no reason a dude cant act like HIMSELF around a chick, espcially since he is probably riding with friends anyway and at a race.. it's freedom. If I can talk a certain way around strangers who are guys at a race, I should act that same way around women. General RESPECT to any given person is all that matters. It's the worst kind of sexism "dont talk that way around ladies".

I'm not down with it at all, women dont need our protection, they dont need censorship...

I made the above /\ post in white so the ladies of the forum wouldn't get offended hahaha

kerbdrop

Likes Dirt
i agree with brumbyjack

it isn't a case of gender so much so as experience level.

You modify your behaviour according to who you are engaging with

Take for example Anne Caroline Chausson, if i were riding with her, then i would ride hard, fast, etc.. and be eating her dust from the get go

But say if i was riding with some social picnic ride around centennial park, i'm not gonna start riding walls, launching off drops and scaring the bejesus out of some poor newbie

In addition, unrelated to the issue anthonyma has raised,

Why are farkiners so defensive, almost hostile when someone raises an issue of importance to himself/herself?
Shouldn't we allow some freedom of opinion rather than lambast someone for holding an opinion which differs to one's own?

arpit

Banned
kerbdrop said:
Why are farkiners so defensive, almost hostile when someone raises an issue of importance to himself/herself?
Shouldn't we allow some freedom of opinion rather than lambast someone for holding an opinion which differs to one's own?
Because behind a computer screen, it's difficult to perceive that you are interacting with other humans. The unreachability and anonymity can lead some people to behave obnoxiously - akin to those who yell insults from their cars.

Arete

Likes Dirt
If I'm riding in female company, I'm less likely to yell obscenities at my bike and kick it when I fall down than if I was with a bunch of my mates.

I guess it's the same as the difference between a night on the piss with the lads and a night out in the company of mates with girlfriends in tow. You're going to be more polite, wait for people rather than let them catch up, less crass etc etc etc.

Hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too chauvanistic.

scblack

Leucocholic

but seriously, censoring a way you act, and the trails you ride around a women, is just stupid. Basing it off skill level is different.. but that being said no one will get better by sticking to fireroads their entire life. I can understand that a dude shouldn't act "a certain way" around women, but in reality that same line really applies in general.. but there is no reason a dude cant act like HIMSELF around a chick, espcially since he is probably riding with friends anyway and at a race.. it's freedom. If I can talk a certain way around strangers who are guys at a race, I should act that same way around women. General RESPECT to any given person is all that matters. It's the worst kind of sexism "dont talk that way around ladies".

I'm not down with it at all, women dont need our protection, they dont need censorship...

I made the above /\ post in white so the ladies of the forum wouldn't get offended hahaha
Hey, it's crystal meth for us white collar types.:D

Sure you can act however you like around anybody. If thats the way you do things, fine, all credit to you.

I act differently around different people always. Thats not being condescending, sexist or elitist or anything. Thats giving people the respect they deserve. Generally women don't swear as much, all that sort of thing, so you change your behaviour to suit who you are with.

Its just common courtesy.:cool:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
As a Girl that thinks he's a man trapped in a mans body I'm quite happy with the way things are.
Just shut up and ride. Who gives a toss. It's all a reflection of sosciety and has no real signifigance at all. Talking about it I find is making it an issue. They're girls,if they act like stereo typical girls then they're probablly in the way and annoying. This is a reflex, energy output sport if you're retarded in anyway due to sex or whatever then natural survival of the fittest....... Oh fuck it. Just don't get in the friggen way no matter who you are. climb to the top with experience or skill and if like me you can't get to the top just have some respect and don't hold people up. Put the burden on yourself and if you're going to impose your lack of skill or fitness address it to all concerned and see if anybody objects,and I'm sure nobody will.
You can't just go to any sport and expect everyone to tone it down to your level till you're ready.
Before anyone jumps down my throat here.I am a gentleman and don't mind being one. I've carried many a girls bike up a hill while their arrogant/ignnorant/rude boyfriend has just watched. I've also done it for unfit male riders.
Can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't want to do something extreme and expect to be treated like a princess.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt

You clown, why would I be offended when you pretty much wrote exactly what I did!!!! :confused: :p The smart comment at the end that is visable is probably more offensive than the text in white!!!!:rolleyes:

Respect is all that is required... by and for all.

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
BrumbyJack said:
You clown, why would I be offended when you pretty much wrote exactly what I did!!!! :confused: :p The smart comment at the end that is visable is probably more offensive than the text in white!!!!:rolleyes:

haha my tounge was firmly in my cheek.. just couldn't help myself

arpit

Banned
ta kerbdrop

scblack said:
I act differently around different people always. Thats not being condescending, sexist or elitist or anything. Thats giving people the respect they deserve. Generally women don't swear as much, all that sort of thing, so you change your behaviour to suit who you are with.
Its just common courtesy.:cool:
I appreciate that this goes on at a subconcious level throughout life. One talks to a judge in a different way as they talk to their wife. One talks to their wife differently to the way they talk to their children etc.

But say you are with a peer/friend, such as a woman in your example. Would you agree that the woman is under the same obligations from courtesy to start swearing more, and all that sort of thing, while she is around you? If you should alter your behaviour to make her feel more comfortable, should she alter her behaviour to make you more comfortable?

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Maybe it's just skill, both gender beginner/intermediate riders don't have much skill or confidence. LOTS (not all) of women riders are beginners or intermediate riders so you treat them differently, the same way you would treat a beginner/intermediate male.

So to sum it up *example*, you have a beginner male who wants to some tips on a tight corner (you provide the tips). You have a beginner female (Lots of women are) who wants some tips on the tight corner to so you provide the tips. It just seems to be a gender related -
expression (<anyone got a better word?) it's just that lot's of female riders are beginners.

Last edited:

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Venciferus said:
Maybe it's just skill, both gender beginner/intermediate riders don't have much skill or confidence. LOTS (not all) of women riders are beginners or intermediate riders so you treat them differently, the same way you would treat a beginner/intermediate male.

he said it ther, lots of women riders are new to intemidetate, and being baged or sworn at on trails becasue they cant go HUGE isnt right, incouragment is good yes but things like that are just insulting and discourageing.

Ive found most guys are great, they understand were learning and even stop and help if wer stugeling with something, but ther are the odd few i call thses ones bastards the ones with the view "if you cant do it dont ride teh track" i put it down to the fact that there scared girls will impove and beat them:p small mans syndrome

i dont expect to be treated differnt, but to be treated fairly, the same way theyd treat a begginer/intermediate male rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.