Should I look at dual-susp? 29er?

DionM77

Cannon Fodder
Hi all,

Newbie here ... hope this is the right area.

I currently ride a 2006 Giant Yukon. Have done some light trail work around the place (I'm in Brisbane) but it's going to be pressed into other service as a commuter so I'm looking for another bike. I was originally going to buy a hybrid/flat bar roadie; but I like the MTB for commuting (with slicks, panniers etc).

Anyway, I still like doing the odd bit of trail work and I think I may get more into it as time permits. Cross-country type stuff, rather than purely downhill etc. No competition work, just recreation.

I've been wondering if I should look at a dual suspension bike, but I'm not really sure if it is necessary / beneficial. And I don't know if I should be looking at 29ers as well ... the only reason I ponder these things is I am a big lad, at 200cm neat and just over 110kgs (that's come down though, but realistically I am never going to be a 70kg lightweight!).

So I guess I'm trying to get a feel for where I should be looking. It seems 29er dual-suspension are rare AND expensive; but from all my reading the 29er sounds like a better option for me being a tall guy (less feeling of falling over the front of the bike on downhill offroad), and I presume the dually will give me more control.

But anyway, I welcome any suggestions (and if I've put this in the wrong area, please let me know).

gpang

Likes Bikes
hey

If your after a 29er, If you are a big bloke there is one concern, because the wheel of a 29er is larger, you will find (if you off road it in particular) generally the wheels are not as strong as a 26" and you may have some issues, the wheel may buckle a bit more easily. The other thing is if its a dually you are getting make sure its a power effieceint one!!

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey

If your after a 29er, If you are a big bloke there is one concern, because the wheel of a 29er is larger, you will find (if you off road it in particular) generally the wheels are not as strong as a 26" and you may have some issues, the wheel may buckle a bit more easily. The other thing is if its a dually you are getting make sure its a power effieceint one!!
Total bollocks (Possibly the first 29er wheels had issues?). Get yourself a dual sus 29er with a decent and not expensive set of Shimano 29er wheels and never look back.

nauticatarcher

Likes Bikes
I'm 6'2" 125KG and ride a Haro Mary SS29er, fully rigid steel frame and love it, if you plan on only XC and road go steel and rigid

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a 29er convert, 190cm and 95kg I reckon once you go 29 you'll never go back. But as you say full-squish 29ers are very expensive - you probably don't need a full susser though;

I have a GT peace 9r which I love, I've gone for a whopping 75mm of travel, I'm also running tubeless with 2.4 tyres which helps make up for the lack of rear end squish with some more compliance & loads of traction.

Bodin on this forum has a nice Specialized Stumpjumper 29er which is certainly not full squish but it was good spec for the price & he loves it.

Last edited:

DionM77

Cannon Fodder
Thanks guys.

Yeah a dual-susp bike - in any format it seems - is not going to be cheap (curse you price rises). I guess I was wanting something a little more different and a little (lot?) more capable than my Yukon - not so much for my current skills; but for my size.

A hardtail 29er might be the go then; I think I'll get more benefit out of it than a dual-susp 26; and money may be the problem in finding/getting a dual 29er.

Cad_Monkey

Cannon Fodder
I have a Gary Fisher Mamba 29er that i picked up for 1400 from Sonic Cycles near Logan, i'm in a similar boat. looking to get a Dually 29er. 6k budget and i'm struggling to find something that i'm willing to part with my second bike (Giant Trance x2) to buy.

If you want to test out a Hardtail 29er give us a yell i usually go to Daisy Hill and Mount Coot-tha if you want to take it for a test strap to see if that is the avenue you really want to go down. before shelling out 2k

Cheers

Josh

oldbean

NSWMTB
I have a Gary Fisher Mamba 29er that i picked up for 1400 from Sonic Cycles near Logan...

If you want to test out a Hardtail 29er give us a yell i usually go to Daisy Hill and Mount Coot-tha if you want to take it for a test strap to see if that is the avenue you really want to go down...
Gary Fisher 29ers also have a fleet of test bikes in all sizes that they can send to your nearest dealer if you want to have a longer test ride on trails you're familiar with.

A test ride will be enough to convince you of the benefits of the 29r platform! Go a hardtail for weight and ease of maintenance and still get the extra stability and grip of the big wheels! You'll love it.