should i run pegs?

billy b

Likes Bikes
hey

im about to get a hardtail suited to dirt jumping and street but am not sure whether to run pegs or not... just for something a little different:eek: ... does anyone know the advantages and/or dis-advantages of running them on a 26 inch..because my mate told me they can bend axels or something?

hubbie

Forever 1,337
enough force and it'll bend axles, but they do build them. Depends what size axle you're running

no 20"

Banned
running pegs

na man i would run pegs cause wat your friend is tlkn bout is true last time i ran pegs on my bike they bent the shit out of the axel but if u want 2 be diffrent and that..do what you want to man:rolleyes: :eek:

deathwish

Likes Bikes
real mountain bikers dont need pegs to ride street or park.
use your pedal, if you want pegs buy bmx and join a bmx site!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
if you wanna grind, learn to pedal or sprocket grind... pegs on a MTB are even lamer than those little razor scooters that had like a fully sick 1cm of suspension travel....

billy b

Likes Bikes
i will learn to grind on the pedal n sprocket than but i will not ride a bmx again:D ...

na thanks guys:cool:

fair_enough69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all depends on what bike your getting thesse pegs on.

10mm, 12mm, or 14mm axels?? ur best bet is to get a frame with 14mm axlers, (dmr transtion, ns streetlegal) dmr make a 14mm rear hub and a long axled bmx hub will fit on a streetlegal, the only supsion forks which take pegs are D-Street 24's which only take 24inch wheels.

ur best bet would be streetlegal with bmx rear hub 26inch wheels and dmr trailblade forks (14mm)

help that helps !

(just buy a good dam bmx if u want pegs, waayyy cheaper)

MTBWANNABE

Banned
fair_enough69 said:
the only supsion forks which take pegs are D-Street 24's which only take 24inch wheels.
Well jordan, it seems your on the money BUT any 10mm thru axle fork can have a 10mm peg on it.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing to this fellow's question. last night i put a 10mm peg on the back and was feeble grinding a box outside a friends house (only for 30 mins, so don't shout at me!? :confused: :p ) and figured it might damage my hub.. (which it was damn fun tbh)

So Anyone want to give me a reasonable explanation/accurate statement of why my Tufneck 10mm bolt thru (or a Da Bomb headspin for a friend?) will not work/bend it? Even if it's used VERY in-frequently (i.e. the odd night we're bored and have nothing to do?)

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Most BMX riders will recommend 14mm axles for pegs. Add an extra 25mm of length onto an mtb axle for leverage, and I'd be really sus about bending a dropout and axle on a mtb, and I wouldn't even think about it on a 10mm axle. Also, a thick, strong cromo frame, cause when you miss a grind, you're going to land on your chainstay, bb or drop out. Expect to dent your chainstays if you want to learn to grind. Most grinders also use a hub guard: a thick, cone shaped aluminium cup that goes over the end of the hub...

All in all grinding your bike on pegs is destructive and not really feasible long term on the vast majority of mtb frames.

Last edited:

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
leitch said:
if you wanna grind, learn to pedal or sprocket grind... pegs on a MTB are even lamer than those little razor scooters that had like a fully sick 1cm of suspension travel....
i dont know about this, if you grind on your pedals doesnt it wreck the pins and on the sprocket doesnt it wreck the chain?

youngone

Likes Dirt
If your running an alloy frame your going to make a mess of your chain stay. Remember BMX chain stays are heaps shorter and made of chromoly. In my opinion if you want to grind do it on a BMX they're built for it. That's just my opinion it's your bike so you decide.

edit: also unless your running a single speed with 'v' brakes you've got discs and derailleur to consider

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
jarrad7 said:
i dont know about this, if you grind on your pedals doesnt it wreck the pins and on the sprocket doesnt it wreck the chain?
mmm but thats why you take the pins out of the side you plan on grinding on ;)

Frazzle

Likes Dirt
In the end, no matter what anyone else thinks, it all comes down to your preferences and your style of riding, if you airing of tabletops then i wouldn't but if you are more of a technical rider than go for it. Personally I don't like them except on my bmx.

Balfa_Oli

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw pics of a guy who had put pegs on his MTB and it bent the axle heaps. maybe the axel wasn't strong enough but unless your up for spending $$$ a bit i wouldn't run pegs.

fieldy

Likes Dirt
chris wilson said:
no because pegs are for huckers

so are 24inch wheels haha...
running pegs on a mountain bike should be illegal and punishable by castration. instead of thinking about whether you should run pegs on a mountain bike you should be asking whether a mountain bike is what you should be riding...imo

Last edited: