Show me Your Music (Formerly 3 Bands Thread)

haveheart

Banned
Can someoe give me a list of good hip hop artists.
I'm starting to get into it.. and want some more range.

thanks

(And dont tell me to search myspace or the internet, i have.. i just thought it would be easy if the right people saw ithis post)

Sam.

Eats Squid
>Led Zep (Trampledunderfoot and Kashmir atm)
>Guns n Roses (Paraddise city, Welcome to the jungle etc...)
>Jack Johnson (went off him for a while but have started to enjoy him again)

matty_101

Likes Dirt
You clearly have no clue. You do understand that 'selling out' traditionally means 'signing to a major and changing your sound to shift millions of units'. Not 'enjoying a modicum of commercial success and actually getting airplay' If the Hoods and BEI are sellouts, then everyone signed to Obese must be sellouts, thereby making Reason sellouts and making Pegz the greatest sellout in all of Oz Hip Hop since he owns the label.
There is no "major label" in aus for them to sign to, i don't consider Obese to be major by the amount of records they move. But thats because the scene isn't big enough for them to become a major label, predominant, yes but not major.

The traditional meaning of selling-out cant apply to the aussie hip hop scene because its not big enough to be able to produce sellouts because either way, there is hardly a living in oz hip hop. So if you cant use the traditional meaning of the term, then what you said doesnt really apply to Hilltops not being sell-outs, they changed their style of music simply to maximise profits, which isn't what it's all about. Their first albums were skilled shit and then nosebleed dropped and you could easily see the difference in skill that they used to have, they purposely made it more mainstream. With regards to the aussie scene, they sold-out (which made them a little bit more cash), with regards to the "traditional" meaning of sell-outs then no they arent't.

And Pegz starting Obese records made it easier for the next generation to get a foothold in the industry, how the fuck is that selling out? The difference between pegz and hilltops is that although pegz makes money, he hasnt changed his music to enable it.

Nice name dropping BTW.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Been digging a bit of variety lately, Muse, Anti-Flag and Talking Heads on high rotation.

Plus since my girlfriend is Canadian ive been totally hooked by Great Big Sea and Arrogant Worms. Crazy Canuck folkcomedy shitz0r :D

BTW, Canada Day on Sunday - Raise a toast to some of the best trails in the world ;)

N

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Okay, here's three more slightly more accessible bands than my first three.

1. Viaje a 800
http://www.myspace.com/viajea800
Sorry about the French myspace. Here's their influences:
hawkwind, baron rojo, david lee roth,ac jobim,los grupos de triquinoise, el krautrock,kiss,black flag,las grecas,king buzzo,angus young, earth, motorhead, tommi iommi, warrior soul, pink fairies,steve albini, scott reeder,godflesh.....

I'm glad they mentioned Scott Reeder, who apart from being a top bloke who sends me emails from his California ranch about fire-fighting helicopters segues nicely into my next band;

2. Goatsnake
http://www.myspace.com/goatsnake0
Like 70's heavy psych rock? You'll like Goatsnake.

3.Ostinato
http://www.myspace.com/ostinatospace
Washington DC space rock/psychedelia. Nice background music while you're doing something else, but is a trip if you concetrate on it.

Please feel free to have a listen and criticise my taste in music.

floody

Wheel size expert
This week, I has mostly been listenin' to

-Cypress Hill - Los Grand Exitos con Espanol

-Anthrax - Attack of the Killer B's (1991 pressed tape, noice sound, get the track Sects its kickass)

-The Crow : Original Soundtrack
I'm especially impressed with Burn - The Cure , Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails, and Slip Slide Melting - For Love not Lisa , and last but most highly rotatedly, After the Flesh - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
There is no "major label" in aus for them to sign to, i don't consider Obese to be major by the amount of records they move. But thats because the scene isn't big enough for them to become a major label, predominant, yes but not major.

The traditional meaning of selling-out cant apply to the aussie hip hop scene because its not big enough to be able to produce sellouts because either way, there is hardly a living in oz hip hop. So if you cant use the traditional meaning of the term, then what you said doesnt really apply to Hilltops not being sell-outs, they changed their style of music simply to maximise profits, which isn't what it's all about. Their first albums were skilled shit and then nosebleed dropped and you could easily see the difference in skill that they used to have, they purposely made it more mainstream. With regards to the aussie scene, they sold-out (which made them a little bit more cash), with regards to the "traditional" meaning of sell-outs then no they arent't.

And Pegz starting Obese records made it easier for the next generation to get a foothold in the industry, how the fuck is that selling out? The difference between pegz and hilltops is that although pegz makes money, he hasnt changed his music to enable it.

Nice name dropping BTW.
this was a good thread before you started bashing people so:

Last edited:

Ryan

Radministrator

Nice name dropping BTW.
You're an idiot. That last post proves it. There are a host of major labels in Australia that a hip hop group could sign to if they wanted, who the fuck do you think 'hip hop artists' like, Joel Turner (Dream Dealers/Sony), DJ Peril (Sony), TZU (Mushroom) and Phrase (Marlin/Universal) are on? Christ. Major labels.

Of course Pegz isn't a sellout and neither is anyone on Obese. You have to be making money to sell out. I was merely using him as an example to illustrate how stupid your argument was.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Their first albums were skilled shit and then nosebleed dropped and you could easily see the difference in skill that they used to have, they purposely made it more mainstream. With regards to the aussie scene, they sold-out (which made them a little bit more cash), with regards to the "traditional" meaning of sell-outs then no they arent't.
Damn straight! The first thing I thought when I listened to The Calling was "fuck dude,I know exactly what they were thinking when they made this: "Austereo Austereo Austereo Austereo"."

It's a damn good thing people like you and me are psychic and can read these guys' minds, otherwise we'd be like all the other punters who have no clue, and just think they made this music because it's what they wanted to!
Imagine that, musicians making the music that they want to! It'd be as if they were like, artists or something!

Scene represent; death to artistic freedom!

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
1. hilltop hoods - the hard road restrung

2. swollen members - black magic

3. looptroop - the struggle continues

matty_101

Likes Dirt
You have to be making money to sell out. QUOTE]
No, you don't. Pegz makes a fuck load of money yet he didnt change his music to make that happen, he still makes money without selling out. I'm using this as an example just as you were.

Hiltops in my book are sell-outs, they purposely changed their music to make money.

I'm assuming that you like their music, so you telling me that i have no idea about music doesnt mean much, i understand where youre coming from, but i stand by what i said.

RCOH

Eats Squid
You have to be making money to sell out.
No, you don't. Pegz makes a fuck load of money yet he didnt change his music to make that happen, he still makes money without selling out. I'm using this as an example just as you were.

Hiltops in my book are sell-outs, they purposely changed their music to make money.
Um, yes you do. You can make money & not sell-out, but you can't sell-out and not make money. The word 'sell' kind of gives this away.

wombat

Lives in a hole
You state this like it's an unequivocal fact! How do you know this? Did you ask the guys themselves why they changed their music? Or did you just assume that because in your opinion their sound is more "commercial" that they made this change with the intent of making more money?

To me it sounds like another one of those "they used to be underground and cool when I liked them, but now that everybody likes them and I can't drop their name like I know a secret, they're sellouts" sort of situations.

matty_101

Likes Dirt
Um, yes you do. You can make money & not sell-out, but you can't sell-out and not make money. The word 'sell' kind of gives this away.
You can sell out and still be shit and ultimately not make money. Obviously you'd make a quick buck from the label you just signed to, but if youre still shit it wont go far past that.

matty_101

Likes Dirt
You state this like it's an unequivocal fact! How do you know this? Did you ask the guys themselves why they changed their music? Or did you just assume that because in your opinion their sound is more "commercial" that they made this change with the intent of making more money?

To me it sounds like another one of those "they used to be underground and cool when I liked them, but now that everybody likes them and I can't drop their name like I know a secret, they're sellouts" sort of situations.
Yeah i see what you mean, although i never listened to hiltops, i had a couple of albums but i was more preoccupied with other artists. I never liked their sound, but admitedly in the beginning they were undeniably good, they still are, but their music doesnt reflect it anymore. And it really doesnt bother me that whenever people talk about oz hip hop they say hiltops, well actually it does which is why im going on about it so much.

EDIT* The in my book thing was supposed to indicate that it was my opinion, i wasnt stating it as a fact, but still, real heads say the same thing as what i am.

Last edited: