Show off ya Hilux!!

sam705

Likes Dirt
Don't go Nissan, they sound like a bucket of nuts and bolts.
Nothing is more reliable than a Toyota... :)

Fat Chilli

Likes Bikes
Hey I've been doing some research, when you said Rancho I was thinking of Ironman!!
Anyway after a load of reading I'm kind of keen on EFS
The price is significantly cheaper, just a matter of finding someone to install... haven't read any bad reports on them either.
http://www.4wddirect.com.au/scart/html/493.html
Just to throw my 3.2 cents your way:

I'll give you a bad report on them, they are significantly cheaper for a reason :eek:.
Buy some decent shocks, install them yourself, if you can repair a bike you can install a set of shocks not that much to it and the money saved can go towards a higher end non-nasty set of shocks. I would also classify Ironman and Tough Dog in the cheap and nasty corner of the shock market; having said that I have never endured a set based on the feedback from plenty in the industry who do no recommend them. Maybe I just don't like wasting my hard earned? But it also depends on what you plan on doing with your 4x4.

However, there's nothing wrong with Rancho's just shop around and the prices will drop, I've had 2 sets in the past, and they last well. My first set was on the vehicle for 5 yrs before my lift out grew them and my second set has recently been replaced by the below shocks. I've also had several sets of OME's and some pro-comps (don't recommend the Pro-Craps, but it depends on your springs).

Another consideration that must weigh into the field is your springs and the rate they were manufactured at, are they soft, hard, for touring or are they OEM? (in one of your posts you state that you think they are OEM?)
Your can't really go wrong with the bigger name brands such as OME, Bilstein, Rancho etc. remembering that the majority of shocks are all made in the same factories just valved and spec'd to the brands requirements.
You do get what you pay for!

As an example of re-badging: I just picked up these; the fronts have 12" down travel and the rears have 10" down travel...they are Rubicon Express MonoTubes with remote res but in reality they are basically re-badged Edelbrock IAS Remote Reservoir shocks which sell via ABT (the Aussie Distributor) for $525 each..ouch! As Rubicon Express brand they sell for around the $375 mark (I got them alot cheaper :D).

But these are not for your everyday cruising...:cool:

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Lol.

Hey we ended up ordering a set of the EFS. It will be installed Monday next week when Hubby is home (we found a localish place that does installations).
So time will tell.

I realize that some of the products would be re-branded, kind of like bike stuff. I guess the trick is finding what's the same as what and then paying the cheaper price and ignoring the stickers!

Yes I believe it has OEM suspension on it (well I know it does because it's got Toyota on it) only thing is that the rear shocks, one looked different to the other slightly and I couldn't find toyota written on it, so someone may have just replaced one shockie.

The Lux won't have a hard life for a while, although I am keen to go exploring some of the trails in the beautiful SW some time - I know there are a few good (real) 4x4 trails kicking around somewhere. At the moment the most offroading it will do (apart from plain gravel roads) is when I decide to take a shortcut to work;) but that only cuts 5k's off the trip and slower driving means it takes 10 longer!

I will report back (if I remember to) of any significant differences or how it's going after a while. The first trip will be to Kalgoorlie whatever back way Hubby usually drives.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't go Nissan, they sound like a bucket of nuts and bolts.
Nothing is more reliable than a Toyota... :)
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard the Patrols as an offroad car are a shitload better than any hilux, for starters the hilux has a indipendent front end which does not feel good offroad, and they are just not made for hardcore 4wding thats what the landcruiser is for.

cvbass

Likes Dirt
As an example of re-badging: I just picked up these; the fronts have 12" down travel and the rears have 10" down travel...they are Rubicon Express MonoTubes with remote res but in reality they are basically re-badged Edelbrock IAS Remote Reservoir shocks which sell via ABT (the Aussie Distributor) for $525 each..ouch! As Rubicon Express brand they sell for around the $375 mark (I got them alot cheaper :D).

Mmmm Mono Tubes..
How do you find them Fat Chilli?

Fat Chilli

Likes Bikes
Mmmm Mono Tubes..
How do you find them Fat Chilli?
Have not yet finished installing them, still only got the rears on but they actually lifted the sag out of the springs, so much so that it lifted the ass end another inch....which was not desired, with flat fender style flares the wheel well opening is huge and will draw too many crabs (read cop bait :mad:)

So I will be removing the 2 x 10mm spacers that were originally installed on each corner to prevent the 35"s from scrubbing the fenders and fab up some slightly taller bump stops. This should net me around 4.5" up travel and 7.5" down travel which should be sweet...hopefully; as I am wanting more down travel than up.

The little red packets shown in the pic are Daystar EVS shock bump stops, these have been installed and should prevent inadvertant damage to the shocks but they do not substitute the actual diff bump stops.

Will throw up some pics when finished.

Last edited:

sam705

Likes Dirt
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard the Patrols as an offroad car are a shitload better than any hilux, for starters the hilux has a indipendent front end which does not feel good offroad, and they are just not made for hardcore 4wding thats what the landcruiser is for.
I think you'll find a majority of comp trucks are Hilux's compared to the Landcruiser.
Trawling the 4WD forums is occurs too me that there are ALOT more people doing up Hiluxs as an off road vehicle compared to a Patrol.

I think you'll find a majority of comp trucks are Hilux's compared to the Landcruiser.
Trawling the 4WD forums is occurs too me that there are ALOT more people doing up Hiluxs as an off road vehicle compared to a Patrol.
thats because hiluxs are a bit cheaper but then they realise that they are crap offroad and then they go spend big money to get the lux to flex

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
after taking my xh ute for a spin up some light 4wd tracks i am hanging for my hilux... i will get it in about 2 weeks now... first up is a service and if i have the money some bigger tyres but maybe not yet as there is no mud around:(... i will post pics when i get it

Doggy

Inconceivable!
You will also find that some of those hiluxs are actually running patrol running gear for the strength. Patrol running gear will shit over toyota running gear, toyo LSD's are laughable and piss poor whereas Nissan LSDs are quite strong. Mine is an '88 SWB patrol and the LSD is the original and never been touched....still works a treat.
Cruiser utes from 03 onwards are running piss weak Prado running gear which in something that size just isnt going to work, I know of a few crown and pinions that have forked out in nothing strenuous.
Hiluxs will flex with not much work. Whack in some ext shackles, few other bits and pieces and away you go. One thing I did which worked a treat was putting a concrete block on my tray. Weight = better flex

lucky13

Likes Dirt
the pig pusher

here's the lucky-lux.
it's an 01 model ... completely sexy standard.
only add-ons are the shuttle rack i built at work (thanks varley engineering, you're keeping the dream alive):D... and a 3 seat out of some van mounted in the back for comfy shuttles.

cheers

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well there's your problem:p

How did you manage that,

Downhiller_1: "It looks shallow enough, oh shit!"

Just joking man good effort though, did you have a mate to come to your rescue?

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well there's your problem:p

How did you manage that,

Downhiller_1: "It looks shallow enough, oh shit!"

Just joking man good effort though,
it looked hard then it just fell into a massive hole:confused:

did you have a mate to come to your rescue?
ahaha funny that... i called my bro... he came down in my ute and manage to get it stuck on pebals on a off camber corner... both my cars needed winching:eek:

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:eek:

Just took the filter out the air box on my 08 lux yesterday for a bit, its freakin crazy the difference it made. Even though it would screw it eventually :p, it feels so much cleaner.

Changing the intake pipes, and working out the deal with the maff (sp) sensor, so i can chuck a poddy on. 2.5 inch pipes should give it a nice bell, And it'll be chipped and tuned in the next few weeks. Should run high 14's - 15's I reckon.

I couldn't really give a toss what people think of me putting a fair amount of work into a lux, because the new ones a pretty damn quick, and are such fun to drive.

Pretty sick flogging naturally aspirated silvias with big spoilers, body kits and canons off at the lights in a stock work ute.

Sure are some nice 4x4s in here too though. :)

THE CHENZ

Likes Dirt
93 Xtra cab

Saw this thread a while ago, ute far from finished(as to what I want), motor is soughted for the moment tho with Weber(down), Extcactors, Hot cat cnv, 2 1/4 system thru, and Crow cam (thanks Grant). Just the standard 22R motor goes pretty good with these mods.
Next will be a trip to the panel shop for some body shape and primer, then onto be sprayed. Wheels are undecided at this point (size is the question).
Roll pan turned out sweet(thanks Zach) as did the stainless bolts in the tailgate to clean it up.
More pics as we make more progress, oh, and thanks Austen for your wealth of knowledge in "Makin Minis".
And just to be sure, there will be a ban on hat wearing and UNIT stickers placed on this truck, keepin it clean and real will be the theme.LOL:D

All loaded up last night for serious father & son times today and tomorrow up at Herberton, can`t wait!:)