Sick-Fiddy-Bee wheelset

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I'm after a 650b/27.5" wheelset for my Scott Genius. I weigh about 65-70kg and ride mainly at the You Yangs and most other AM styled trails in Victoria. I'd like them to be able to take some sort of a beating, but I really just want something that will last me a while, being so light I'm thinking I should be ok with whatever I choose.

So far I'm torn between Light Bicycles carbon rims on Novatec hubs ($584), or Stans Flow EX's on Hope Hubs ($526).

I'd love to try some carbon rims too see if I the difference is noticeable, but I'm really rather clueless at to where to go from here as both are somewhat solid choices, any opinions are welcome

ChopSticks

Banned
in a very similar boat as you

want a lighter wheelset than the Hope/Flow I currently run (aiming for 180g+ saving)
Light Bicycle Carbon AM rims are at the very top of the list.....but once you build up a wheel set with hope hubs through them...it ends up being $900+~ :(
you do however get to choose hub and nipple colours........ but I do wonder how those Pillar Aero spokes stack up against DT comp/rev spokes

cant find the article...but there was a review which compared Enve, DT, Easton and Light Bicycle wheelsets....... the winner was Enve...but the light bicycle came 2nd due to bang for buck factor.

EDIT:
my bad.... it reviewed SRAM, not easton. Along with Enve, DT and Light Bicycle
http://www.i-mtb.com/carbon-wheels-experiences-and-tests/

Last edited:

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
in a very similar boat as you

want a lighter wheelset than the Hope/Flow I currently run (aiming for 180g+ saving)
Light Bicycle Carbon AM rims are at the very top of the list.....but once you build up a wheel set with hope hubs through them...it ends up being $900+~ :(
you do however get to choose hub and nipple colours........ but I do wonder how those Pillar Aero spokes stack up against DT comp/rev spokes

cant find the article...but there was a review which compared Enve, DT, Easton and Light Bicycle wheelsets....... the winner was Enve...but the light bicycle came 2nd due to bang for buck factor.

EDIT:
my bad.... it reviewed SRAM, not easton. Along with Enve, DT and Light Bicycle
http://www.i-mtb.com/carbon-wheels-experiences-and-tests/
The price of a wheelset with Hope Hubs is pretty scary, bur I can and do live with Novatec hubs on my DH wheelset, they've been great and don't miss a beat really.

I'm curious about the viability of the pillar spokes too, if they're that bad I suppose it wouldn't be hard to replace them with DT Comps, which I'd prefer over the rev's which they offer (only in silver too, gah!)

That article was awesome, thanks for the link.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Im building up a set of Hadley Hubs to E13 TRS+ rims, little on the pricey side of what you would want though probably

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm after a 650b/27.5" wheelset for my Scott Genius. I weigh about 65-70kg and ride mainly at the You Yangs and most other AM styled trails in Victoria. I'd like them to be able to take some sort of a beating, but I really just want something that will last me a while......

Email light bicycle for information regarding their wider rims

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
In a similar boat.
I have it in my head that a stronger thinner rim at the back, with a lighter wider rim at the front is a good idea. Spank Oozy Trail 285 (front) and an Oozy 26AL EVO (back) seem to fit the bill. Don't think they're available quite yet, or if they'll be available separately when they are, or what they cost..

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm diggging my Stans Flow EXs on Stans hubs. Stans hubs are as light or lighter than nearly everything. Spin quite freely(rear) and have a fair amount of engagement points. King, I9 or Profile etc would be rad, but I could spend the coin elsewhere. Still scared of carbon rims, maybe on the front. I'm sure they're good n all, just nervous. Aussie brand Zelvy are about to bring out some carbon rims.
I have a Reverse Components ally rim ready to lace up when a Stans fails.
Also have an I9 wheel ready to go too(another 6fiddy bike coming).
The Flow EX with High Roller 2.4 front is a wide enough rim IMO, tyre has quite a square profile, I wouldn't want any wider rim. Might give more grip for cornering at a set angle, but at the cost of predictability and feel for saving slides I'm guessing. Current grip is insanely good anyway.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I am just about to take delivery of some custom built 27.5 wheels from Greg @ TWE wheels - will report back on how they go on my Trance once i have them. He reckons they will come in around 1750g and around 28.5mm outer width, nicer than the 23mm width or so I have on the pxc standard trance rims I have already put a nice big rock ding into...

I am about 80kg though so you might be able to get something even lighter weight

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm after a 650b/27.5" wheelset for my Scott Genius. I weigh about 65-70kg and ride mainly at the You Yangs and most other AM styled trails in Victoria. I'd like them to be able to take some sort of a beating, but I really just want something that will last me a while, being so light I'm thinking I should be ok with whatever I choose.

So far I'm torn between Light Bicycles carbon rims on Novatec hubs ($584), or Stans Flow EX's on Hope Hubs ($526).

I'd love to try some carbon rims too see if I the difference is noticeable, but I'm really rather clueless at to where to go from here as both are somewhat solid choices, any opinions are welcome
Just checking / Did you get your wheelset yet ? If so - what did you end up with..? Cheers..

I am just about to take delivery of some custom built 27.5 wheels from Greg @ TWE wheels - will report back on how they go on my Trance once i have them. He reckons they will come in around 1750g and around 28.5mm outer width, nicer than the 23mm width or so I have on the pxc standard trance rims I have already put a nice big rock ding into...

I am about 80kg though so you might be able to get something even lighter weight
How are these 'custom built 27.5 wheels from Greg @ TWE wheels' holding up ?

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
I believe Zelvy.com an Aussie Co. in Toowoomba are about to offer carbon wheelsets of various wheelsizes.

Have a look at their website or PM MrPlow here at Farkin (whoops Rotorburn)...

Minlak

custom titis
I believe Zelvy.com an Aussie Co. in Toowoomba are about to offer carbon wheelsets of various wheelsizes.

Have a look at their website or PM MrPlow here at Farkin (whoops Rotorburn)...
Zelvycarbon.com? Is that the address or different company?

Minlak

custom titis
Yes but I see the website isn't displaying well on the iphone......also check FB
Website is a bit iffy on my iPad as well I don't have Facebook again til I get to work and use theirs :) will look tomorrow carbon wheels are really interesting me ATM just no money to buy :)

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Just checking / Did you get your wheelset yet ? If so - what did you end up with..? Cheers..
I actually haven't pulled the trigger just yet! year 12 is getting in the way and I've had to divert some funds towards a car, so they've been put on the backburner :smow:

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually haven't pulled the trigger just yet! year 12 is getting in the way and I've had to divert some funds towards a car, so they've been put on the backburner :smow:
You'll get there.. On the plus side - the longer you hold off, the more choices and reviews you will have. I am not sure wether to go a decent aluminium set with convertible hubs (around the 8 or $900 /on sale ).. Was even looking at those lower cost Chinese (carbon) imports.. Only for trail riding (some pretty rough stuff though). They are around a grand with Hope hubs / delivered.. Need to do a lot more research on those though (although initial impressions seem positive).. Cheers :thumb: