Sidewall damage to tyres

skinner

Likes Dirt
Just a quick question to those in the know...

Have a set of maxxis ignitors (non UST) and one of them in a small section (1-2inch) on the side wall has torn away from the Wire bead.

Is it stuffed? it cant be used can it?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I am running larssen tt's,with rip's and tears all along both tyres,i used an inner tube to patch up these holes(from the inside),as long as you are using tubes and not tubeless,you should be sweet,unless the hole is too big!

jongy_boy

Banned
BM epic is right as long as you are using tubes and not tubeless,you should be alright ,unless the hole is too big!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
BM epic is right as long as you are using tubes and not tubeless,you should be alright ,unless the hole is too big!
Didn't i just give him the same answer? Why repeat it?
You should just slow down mate,think about things,and only if you can contribute should you post.
It is not a race to see who can have the highest post count!

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't i just give him the same answer? Why repeat it?
You should just slow down mate,think about things,and only if you can contribute should you post.
It is not a race to see who can have the highest post count!
he's been re-posting peoples stuff all day.

LLL

Squid
I am running larssen tt's,with rip's and tears all along both tyres,i used an inner tube to patch up these holes(from the inside),as long as you are using tubes and not tubeless,you should be sweet,unless the hole is too big!
Hi, just hoping to clarify this one...

I've acquired a small tear ~13mm on the side wall of my brand new tyre. The tube was bulging out through the hole. Does this indicate the hole is too big to repair?

cheers!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hey yous are both right as long as you are using tubes and not tubeless,you should be alright ,unless the hole is too big!

:D:D:D

I have about 6-8 tyres here with different sidewall scuffs/splits , i am 100% tubeless all the time , i have learned that picking a slightly better line saves sidewalls. Sometimes its unavoidable , but i havn't had a sidewall split in 6 months now . And after the rain we've just had im going to have to change from small block 8's to winter tyres. So my good run might come to an end .... but small blocks have very thin walls and they have put up with everything i have thrown at them this summer .

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi, just hoping to clarify this one...

I've acquired a small tear ~13mm on the side wall of my brand new tyre. The tube was bulging out through the hole. Does this indicate the hole is too big to repair?

cheers!
Try patching it, you should be sweet. Only problem will be if you manage to scrap it up really hard against a rock in the same place. Such a shame on a brand new tyre =(

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a quick question to those in the know...

Have a set of maxxis ignitors (non UST) and one of them in a small section (1-2inch) on the side wall has torn away from the Wire bead.

Is it stuffed? it cant be used can it?
A piece of vertical blind type material placed inside the tyre can also be very useful. I have done this on a Larsen TT. Cut the blind material so it fits nicely inside the tyre and well over the rip/tear. Then carefully place it in between the tyre and tube, slightly pump the tube just to hold the patch and fit the tyre.

You can also glue a patch on the outside of the tyre to help hold it together. I did this to a second (larger) tear I got in the same tyre. Repair lasted for months.

Cheers,
CBG.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can also stick a $5 note in if you are lazy. Did that as a temporary emergency repair and only took it out a month or two later when I needed the money.

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
I had two tears in one of my tyres. I bought one of those patch kits from Kmart (which comes with multiple sized patches) and usd the larger ones to cover the hole inside the tyre.
On the outside, I cut a strip about the size/length of the tear, inserted it as much as possible into the hole, and used rubber glue to keep it in place. I also added a layer of rubber glue over the tear and let it dry.
Almost two months now without any problems.

Newton

Likes Dirt
I always repair my tyres with "Loctitie 435", it a type of superglue, I've used it on both the tyre treaded area and on sidewalls, if you have enough meat left you won't need an internal patch, if the tear doesn't allow you to knit it back together with dot of glue, then use a section of old tube and glue it from the inside.

Loctite® 435™ Prism® Low viscosity, clear, rubber toughened, one part, room temperature cure, instant adhesive designed for bonding metal, rubber and plastics. Excellent peel, impact and sheer strength.

http://www.instantsolutions.loctite.com/stronger_Toughened.htm

DJman

Likes Dirt
it can be bad, Im not sure if this is what you mean but if you can actually see the wire in the bead it will rub on the tube and wear a hole in it or a weak spot and when you got to pump it up again it will explode (its pretty cool really)
this happened to me when i was running holly rollers if you can see the wire cover it with some old cloth or rag, this stops it rubbing as much and is a cheap cost efficient way of fixing I did this for a while but it will eventually not work anymore so get a new tire ASAP but the cloth will work for about a month or so