Silk Purse Pigs Ear (Think I f----ed up)

ers

Likes Dirt
ok....
I announced in another thread that I have a 26er bike. Apparently, I should save and get a better one rather than upgrade. Am not arguing that point, and appreciate the input regarding that. I am trying not to beat myself up and move forward.
So, the f---up is that I have committed to this bike. No chance of getting another (wife - 'How much?')
I am going to keep riding it and build components into it that I can one day take to a new(er) bike.
I understand that if I move to a 27.5 or 29 that some of the components won't translate.
For now, am looking to put this on
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=COeO-M69qM0CFQQsvQodnr8KKg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Shimano XT 1x10sp Gear Kit Bundle
sku451898
Now A$284.63
RRP A$494.94 | Save 42%
QuantityUpdate

Orange, 104mm, 30t
Race Face Narrow Wide Single Chainring
Orange, 104mm, 30t

Black, Rear
Shimano Zee M640 1x10sp Trigger Shifter
Black, Rear

Black, Medium Cage
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
Black, Medium Cage

Silver, 11-36t,
Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette
Silver, 11-36t,

Silver, 116 Links
Shimano XT HG95 SIL-TEC 10 Speed Chain
Silver, 116 Links

Black,
Shimano MTB Stainless Steel Gear Cable Set
Black,

1) This should translate to other frames, shouldn't it?
2) Do those components sit together?
3) Yes, I know I should have bought a better bike

Thanks in advance
ers

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
ok....
I announced in another thread that I have a 26er bike. Apparently, I should save and get a better one rather than upgrade. Am not arguing that point, and appreciate the input regarding that. I am trying not to beat myself up and move forward.
So, the f---up is that I have committed to this bike. No chance of getting another (wife - 'How much?')
I am going to keep riding it and build components into it that I can one day take to a new(er) bike.
I understand that if I move to a 27.5 or 29 that some of the components won't translate.
For now, am looking to put this on
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=COeO-M69qM0CFQQsvQodnr8KKg&gclsrc=aw.ds

sku451898
Now A$284.63
RRP A$494.94 | Save 42%
QuantityUpdate

Orange, 104mm, 30t
Race Face Narrow Wide Single Chainring
Orange, 104mm, 30t

Black, Rear
Shimano Zee M640 1x10sp Trigger Shifter
Black, Rear

Black, Medium Cage
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
Black, Medium Cage

Silver, 11-36t,
Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette
Silver, 11-36t,

Silver, 116 Links
Shimano XT HG95 SIL-TEC 10 Speed Chain
Silver, 116 Links

Black,
Shimano MTB Stainless Steel Gear Cable Set
Black,

1) This should translate to other frames, shouldn't it?
2) Do those components sit together?
3) Yes, I know I should have bought a better bike

Thanks in advance
ers
Mate, there are plenty of people who still swear by 26" and refuse to drink from the cool aide bottle (moorey, i'm looking at you here), so dont be so dismissive of what you have.

That kit will work together, but that depends on the cranks you are running. There are different BCD measurements, but if you're sure you have a BCD of 104mm then you're all sweet. You also need to consider chain line.Do you have a 2x or 3x at the minute? Chain line can be an issue with 2x cranks.

If you tell us what you have, then we can double check everything is sweet before spending your money?

ers

Likes Dirt
Thanks JTMofo
Front is 3 x
Crank is fc m582 deore lx pretty sure it is 104mm http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/t.../FC/EV-FC-M582-2685_v1_m56577569830625625.pdf

To be fair, I think it is the type of 26er I have that people are commenting on. As I said it looks like I have a pigs ear. Anyway.
Thanks for the reply
I put 30t to 11-36 because I've read a lot about how tough the hill climbs can be on 1x10 but think I will go back to original plan of 32t and tough it out.
Awesome
Thanks again
ers

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I've not looked, but isn't 1x11 shimano gear around the same price as the above mentioned kit?

11 is better than 10, it's a bigger number.

ers

Likes Dirt
I've not looked, but isn't 1x11 shimano gear around the same price as the above mentioned kit?

11 is better than 10, it's a bigger number.
1 x 11 is more expensive

Found this, without a front crank ring, - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-Ne...ge-/122011228814?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

looks like cables are included

it's from China everything else 1 x 11 is $400 plus - fake??
It's so easy to keep going up 'just a little bit more'
Aaarrgghh now I'm thinking about it!!!

ers

Likes Dirt
I'd go 1x11 XT or wait a month for the 1x11 SLX to become available.
Am I realistically going to be able to pick up the same 1x11 components (crank ring etc) for $270-280 in SLX?
If that was the case I would think about a quick fix for now and wait
Thanks for the reply

mitchy_

Llama calmer

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Mate, there are plenty of people who still swear by 26" and refuse to drink from the cool aide bottle (moorey, i'm looking at you here), so dont be so dismissive of what you have.

That kit will work together, but that depends on the cranks you are running. There are different BCD measurements, but if you're sure you have a BCD of 104mm then you're all sweet. You also need to consider chain line.Do you have a 2x or 3x at the minute? Chain line can be an issue with 2x cranks.

If you tell us what you have, then we can double check everything is sweet before spending your money?
It makes sense to try and buy bits and pieces that are compatible with another bike size, I get that. Just keep in mind that it may well be a lot easier and cost effective to buy a complete bike, rather than buying a frame that you transfer all your bits to.

I agree with JTMOFO ....IMHO Don't get too hung up on 26 v 27.5 v 29er. If your just out with your mates having fun...who cares? I ride an old Nomad and I can assure you I enjoy riding just as much fun as guys on the latest and best. Am I as quick, probably not, but I'm not racing them either.

Unless your going to get serious and start doing races, ask yourself if it really matters.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Nothing wrong with 26 inch and you can still buy a wide range of parts, rims and tyres for them, not as much as 27.5 but still lots out there.

mitchy_

Llama calmer

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you are going to a single ring up front from triples, you might need shorter chainring bolts also.
Not "might", WILL need new bolts, 'cos you're only pinning one ring to the spider instead of two.

Edited out the specs... Nothing wrong with those, they'll all play nicely. As I said in the other thread, there's no problem flicking those bits over to something with a different wheel size down the track, only thing is bigger wheels change your gear rollout, so you might consider dropping a chainring size when the time comes. The M582 crank is a Hollowtech II model, so will slip straight into a BB90/92 press-fit frame if the hypothetical new frame happens to be so configured, all it will need is a new bottom bracket. Wheel size is really only going to affect the fork down the track when the time comes.

Last edited:

ers

Likes Dirt
you'll want the chain ring too. can get cheapies off ebay though.

otherwise you can get SLX 1x10 for around $210 for the lot. choose the absolute black ring if 32t is what you want, it's a bit cheaper.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-slx-1x10sp-gear-kit-bundle/rp-prod126349
wow, that's exciting.
I can get the same build, just dropping the rear derailleur to slx (still shadow, which apparently is good) for $250 shipped with code.
I quite like the soundof/reviews for the raceface ring, seems to be a good price
this is looking like the option
thanks mitchy

ers

Likes Dirt
Not "might", WILL need new bolts, 'cos you're only pinning one ring to the spider instead of two.

Edited out the specs... Nothing wrong with those, they'll all play nicely. As I said in the other thread, there's no problem flicking those bits over to something with a different wheel size down the track, only thing is bigger wheels change your gear rollout, so you might consider dropping a chainring size when the time comes. The M582 crank is a Hollowtech II model, so will slip straight into a BB90/92 press-fit frame if the hypothetical new frame happens to be so configured, all it will need is a new bottom bracket. Wheel size is really only going to affect the fork down the track when the time comes.
Thanks.
To be honest, I quite like the idea of staying with 26" in the future. That might change as I gain more experience.
Are the shorter bolts something I can get from my LBS?
I read somewhere about using steel bolts instead of alloy. What do you think?

moorey

call me Mia
To be fair, I gave 27.5 a re hot go on the same bike...and can announce equivocally, it's marketing hype. Stay 26".
I would have bought a s/h 10sp groupo for small change, now that many people are moving to 11.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Thanks.
To be honest, I quite like the idea of staying with 26" in the future. That might change as I gain more experience.
Are the shorter bolts something I can get from my LBS?
I read somewhere about using steel bolts instead of alloy. What do you think?
Yes, use steel bolts. Less likely to break/strip/round out/otherwise destroy the things. Shorties are readily available.

PS, another 26" devotee here. :wink:

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
wow, that's exciting.
I can get the same build, just dropping the rear derailleur to slx (still shadow, which apparently is good) for $250 shipped with code.
I quite like the soundof/reviews for the raceface ring, seems to be a good price
this is looking like the option
thanks mitchy
Racrface ring is good and I can't fault mine, only dropped a chain a couple of times both my fault, 1 leant the ring against a rock and 2 crud build up due to my laziness.

Welcome to the upgraditis club and say goodbye to your cash!

New brakes will be next.....