Sillicon Spray

benwilson1

Likes Dirt
Is it safe to spray sillicon spray on the stauntions(sp) of your forks to lubricate the seals? A mate told me this but Im a bit hesitant because I know some types of rubber can swell up from certain chemicals.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it safe to spray sillicon spray on the stauntions(sp) of your forks to lubricate the seals? A mate told me this but Im a bit hesitant because I know some types of rubber can swell up from certain chemicals.
Yep. Works a treat. Bike and motorbike specific sprays silicon don't attack anything.
Motorex Silicon Spray is awesome.
I coat everything (except the obvious - grips, tyres, saddle and discs/pads) in it and have been doing so for years without issue.

Works especially well keeping mud buildup off the frame, too. Just falls off.
I know some people use cooking sprays, but this stuff works heaps better.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not too sure about silicon spray as a protective layer for everything ^^ But i do use it on Stanchions and it works fantastic for flushing the crap out of seals and lowering stiction. Basically i wipe the fork with a fine cloth (get dust and shit off) and then i spray with silicon and go ride around on the street and cycle the fork through its travel. Afterwards I wipe the stanchion clean.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Not only is it safe, its recommended. Be sure to clean your stanchions though if there is an excessive build up of muck around the wipers.

Gripo

Eats Squid
random spraying will end in tear$

Don't just randomly spray it at your forks!

To wipe the fork seals spray the silicon onto an cotton "earbud" wipe.

To clean the staunchions spray it onto a rag first, then wipe your forks.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't just randomly spray it at your forks!

To wipe the fork seals spray the silicon onto an cotton "earbud" wipe.

To clean the staunchions spray it onto a rag first, then wipe your forks.
You don't need a cotton bud to apply it to seals - cloth/rag will do.
As stated, you can coat the forks (stanchions, crown and lowers) in it, with the warning previously stated:
DO NOT get the silicon spray on any part of your brake rotor or pads (avoid the caliper).
To apply it, spray it onto a cloth (away from your bike) and wipe on.
Always best to avoid spraying your bike directly with anything lube-y (on chains, WD40 on rusted bolt heads, silicon on the frame, etc.).
Put anything slippery on a cloth/rag first, then apply.

sketchylanding

Likes Bikes
Marzocchi used to recommend silicone spray on their fork stanchions many years back. Not sure if it is still in the user manuals. I find it great for lifting dirt from the seal lips - spray on the seals using a tube in the nozzle, compress the forks and wipe stanchions with a rag.

Gripo

Eats Squid
You don't need a cotton bud to apply it to seals - cloth/rag will do.
A cotton bud is excellent for wiping/cleaning the seals with especially if you soak the bud end with the silicon spray........don't need it but I highly recommend it......

GreenYellow

Likes Bikes
You can use silicon anywhere on the bike EXCEPT rotors, dont get it anywhere near your callipers, pads or rotors. I dont even put it near my grips :rolleyes: