Single Chainring & Guide all in one unit....

Gripo

Eats Squid
sweet. home made widgit, very innovative that sounds like something I'd try and build but I'd wanna bend the grind ed rings so that they were curved for smoother guiding
There's no need, just grind a small chamfer on the inside of the guide plates (old 44t chainrings) and the chain will follow.

The washers allow you to adjust the width of the plates so that you can tune the guide plates around the chainring and chain.

This also means you can tune out any excess chain drag or chain noise against the guide plates so all is good wether your in 1st or 9th gear on the casette.

Gazatron

Likes Dirt
There's no need, just grind a small chamfer on the inside of the guide plates (old 44t chainrings) and the chain will follow.

The washers allow you to adjust the width of the plates so that you can tune the guide plates around the chainring and chain.

This also means you can tune out any excess chain drag or chain noise against the guide plates so all is good wether your in 1st or 9th gear on the casette.
Fuck I'm gonna try it. I've got all the parts & tools I need i need plus a good 38T e13 ring off my old SS commuter. This setup will be easier than changing back to my triples when i wanna do some long distance road riding.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Gazatron; you've copped a fair amount of flak for your mate in this thread. I commend you on your loyalty to be perfectly honest but I have to ask, did he actually do any 'market research' into 'what riders want'?

Whilst the utilization of the granny tabs is pretty cool, I think the general idea (or perception perhaps) is that your crank spider would provide a stronger mounting point, especially for those riders that tend to hit things with their chainrings. Further, the omission of larger-sized chain ring options limits your user base too. Those are two fundamental features of the design and already (as a rider) I feel that many other riders would look at this product and think the same thing. Even in Gripper's example above, (ie. adjustable plates), such a simple concept, could that not be an addition to the design? (especially considering the amount of frame designs on the market and the possible chainline issues that could be encountered).
I know I'm just reiterating but I think these points are some fairly big omissions to be honest.

Best of luck though mate.

(This idea kinda reminded me of the Mr Dirt Gizmo for a minute...maybe it's just the name...)

Gazatron

Likes Dirt
Gazatron; you've copped a fair amount of flak for your mate in this thread. I commend you on your loyalty to be perfectly honest but I have to ask, did he actually do any 'market research' into 'what riders want'?

Whilst the utilization of the granny tabs is pretty cool, I think the general idea (or perception perhaps) is that your crank spider would provide a stronger mounting point, especially for those riders that tend to hit things with their chainrings. Further, the omission of larger-sized chain ring options limits your user base too. Those are two fundamental features of the design and already (as a rider) I feel that many other riders would look at this product and think the same thing. Even in Gripper's example above, (ie. adjustable plates), such a simple concept, could that not be an addition to the design? (especially considering the amount of frame designs on the market and the possible chainline issues that could be encountered).
I know I'm just reiterating but I think these points are some fairly big omissions to be honest.

Best of luck though mate.

(This idea kinda reminded me of the Mr Dirt Gizmo for a minute...maybe it's just the name...)
yeah cheers, I'm just sticking up for it as it's being a good little product for me. The adjustable plates is a excellent idea, currently the sizes that he's made have being designed to mount off the granny tabs and thats gonna limit weather he wants to go the adjustable guide plate way. Maybe in bigger sizes (34-36t) he could look at mounting it off the middle tabs. Only problem is then (because of the design of the widgit) if your tryin to mount to the middle tabs you will need to get shorter bolts or space them. Thats where the widgit is good at the moment, you don't need any extra bolts or spacers (most cranks & frames) you can just use the hardware you have at the moment. I remember when I jimmied up a set of hallowtech II cranks for my single speed I had to fuck around tryin to find washers to space the ring bolts or had to try source some shorter ones.. Ended up just using some washers from the hardware store , it looked shithouse but it worked

tu plang

knob
yeah cheers, I'm just sticking up for it as it's being a good little product for me. The adjustable plates is a excellent idea, currently the sizes that he's made have being designed to mount off the granny tabs and thats gonna limit weather he wants to go the adjustable guide plate way. Maybe in bigger sizes (34-36t) he could look at mounting it off the middle tabs. Only problem is then (because of the design of the widgit) if your tryin to mount to the middle tabs you will need to get shorter bolts or space them. Thats where the widgit is good at the moment, you don't need any extra bolts or spacers (most cranks & frames) you can just use the hardware you have at the moment. I remember when I jimmied up a set of hallowtech II cranks for my single speed I had to fuck around tryin to find washers to space the ring bolts or had to try source some shorter ones.. Ended up just using some washers from the hardware store , it looked shithouse but it worked
Well if you do go back to him with the idea, you can definitely get shorter chain ring bolts (for some reason bmx rings a bell - perhaps for running a big race ring with a crank that runs a spider) to suit a single ring on a spider. I know we chased them up a few times when I was working in shops. So perhaps he could sort out a supplier and ship a bigger widget with the 4 bolts needed to make it nice and easy if he went down that road.

Gazatron

Likes Dirt
Update:
Just being into ChainGang in brisbane (the shop his sons owns) and spoke with the designer and he is making the 32T widgits so that they mount off the middle tabs (crank spider) . He is also sourcing shorter chainring bolts for this application. The 28T & 30T will still bolt to the granny mounts because of their size and design. Also he's looking at the demand for bigger sizes ie. 34T - 36T if the demand is there he will be producing them too.

Gripo

Eats Squid
yeah i dunno wouldn't you get a heap of chain slap?:confused: i'm running an LG-1 and it's sweet although they look mad:D
My version was no more noisier than the typical 3 chainring setup, the advantage is that you don't get the added chain drag caused by the lower idler/jockey wheels.

BTW, MRP have their new 1x Guide (LG-1 less lower idler/jockey wheel) http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?section=product&item=1x
Designed for Adam Craig, US XC rider.....

Here's the old school MRP sandwhich plated chainguide> http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?section=product&item=sys1_2

floody

Wheel size expert
Practically any bike shop should have short chainring bolts, as they're used prolifically by BMX racers and people with track bikes, single speeds... Personally where I work I have an assortment of them in pretty colours.

What cassette do you run the 30t one with, Gazatron?

Because most options are going to be little different to a 34t on a 11-34, or even 34 on 11-36. IMO the larger sizes (32,34,36) would sacrifice minimal low range for better mid and high gearing range, and again potentially better chain line for the more commonly used cogs. I wouldn't tailor the usable chainline around the bail out gears.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
no not a trapper keeper but............

Here's an example of someone else's version of my "chain keeper" (no not a trapper keeper :p) that mirrors what I did but using 2 MRP carbon bashguards.

mitch66

Cannon Fodder
Niner R.I.P. 9 with 1x9 28t Widgit and skid plate

1x9 with the 28t:11-34 ratio is probably the best set-up on this bike for my intended use. The Widgit chainring raplaced a 32t with bash, and reduced the weight with 120g/4.23oz. The overall weight reduction compared with a traditional 3x9 set-up is about 400g/14.1oz.

Chainline before: 50mm, after: 47mm

With a single 28t up front, the ground clearance is as good as it gets on this frame. With no ring to take the pounding, a skid plate will hopefully do the job.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Here's an example of someone else's version of my "chain keeper" (no not a trapper keeper :p) that mirrors what I did but using 2 MRP carbon bashguards.
Nice bike heh. That seems a pretty common stromlo-setup.

Tazdevil

Likes Bikes
1 x 10 dilemma

OK. I am interested in the above setup (1 x 10 though) but not sure exactly how it works. Where does the inner guide bolt onto? The guides are both 104mm BCD? What cranks and chainring are being used? Could this setup deliver an adequate chainline for a 10 speed cassette? :confused:

I currently have a 30T Widgit with 11-34T 9 speed cassette (been happy - survived the WSC at Stromlo, chain does not bounce off for me), and chopped (horror of horrors) old XTR M960 cranks. I am planning to upgrade to a 32T ring and 11-36T 10 speed cassette.

My 'problem': I have an oversized BB (BB30? 2010 Carbon Stump Jumper) so cannot use MRP 1.X or similar devices. I also have a squarish seat tube that also changes in circumference so cannot use clamp style chain keepers either, my guess - not sure if it is true? I am willing to change cranks.

So am interested in chain guards again for a 1x10 setup. What are my options if I do not want to run the Widgit again? (does a 32T Widgit bolt onto 104mm 4 arm spider?) Or other options I have not considered? Handing over to you gearing gurus…! :cool:

Last edited: