Single chainset obsession?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Walking around the local bike shop the other week, pretty much every mountain bike over $1500 had a single front chainset. I know it simplifies the bike and gives it a small weight reduction over a traditional 20-30 gear twin or triple setup. Yet when I rode my friends hardtail last weekend with a SLX 20 speed I loved it, fast gearing on the open roads, ultra low gears for the steep climbs. I got back on my duelie with its 11 speed and I really missed those extra gears especially peddling on the road where I'm maxing out at less than 30k.
Is this just a fad or are single chainsets here to stay? 10 years ago they were a rare sight.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My understanding is you can blame SRAM for their inability to make a decent front derailleur and their ability to market not having one as a benefit. Kinda like what VHS did to BETA all those decades ago.

Doesn't make it easy for the more educated (ie you and me) to buy a 2x chainring though. If anyone knows where I can I'm keen to know.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
yeah but SRAM decided to buy out avid, could have just let it die and we might now live in a very different world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Walking around the local bike shop the other week, pretty much every mountain bike over $1500 had a single front chainset. I know it simplifies the bike and gives it a small weight reduction over a traditional 20-30 gear twin or triple setup. Yet when I rode my friends hardtail last weekend with a SLX 20 speed I loved it, fast gearing on the open roads, ultra low gears for the steep climbs. I got back on my duelie with its 11 speed and I really missed those extra gears especially peddling on the road where I'm maxing out at less than 30k.
Is this just a fad or are single chainsets here to stay? 10 years ago they were a rare sight.
Yeah, pretty sad, all my bikes are x2 or x3 and not looking forward to spending all my savings on 1 x 12. I can most likely get away with 1 x11 for most trails rides but when I start doing the longer stuff I like the extra gearing.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I blame both shimano and sram for not being able to engineer a decent front mech. 1x is as here to stay as dropper posts, tires that grip despite their weight and 29ers that can turn a corner. Sorry.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I blame both shimano and sram for not being able to engineer a decent front mech. 1x is as here to stay as dropper posts, tires that grip despite their weight and 29ers that can turn a corner. Sorry.
Shimano makes very good front derailleurs, they are just not specced on most recent bikes.
Even with Shimano 12spd you can still get a front derailleur if you so desire.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano makes very good front derailleurs, they are just not specced on most recent bikes.
Even with Shimano 12spd you can still get a front derailleur if you so desire.
Why would you though? Narrow/wide and 11 speed changed the game entirely. Chain stays on, bike stays quiet and you get a 32x50 climbing gear and 32x10 pinned gear. Have to say less than 1% of my riding ever makes me wish I had more than a 32x10 to roll over... May just be slow.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
ast gearing on the open roads
Get a road bike.

Honestly on my mtbs, it;s usually click click click on the ups or downs. No time to think - am i cross chaining or will the terrain get steeper or descend? Fistfull of gears when you need it.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
God knows why we need 20 or 30 gears. Or even 11 or 12 for that matter.

If I can't get up a hill with my 1x8 it shouldn't be climbed really. They're known as push bikes for a reason.
i’m with you, was 1x1 but now have a more fancy 1x9..i’m surprised how well an alivio rear der. holds a chain, 34t max cog

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
. Have to say less than 1% of my riding ever makes me wish I had more than a 32x10 to roll over... May just be slow.
agree’d, where r u riding u need such high speeds? i currently have a 38t oval paired with campy 12t, so 3.18 ratio on my steel gravel bike with drops, heaps plenty for gravel kom theft, even on 4-5deg downslopes