Single crown for Dh racing.

allstar

Likes Dirt
i've currently got 2006 boxxer races on my Dh bike and i have been contemplating upgrading for a while, seeing ameil riding totems on his DH got me thinking.
what are the pro's and con's of riding single crowns on a DH bike for racing? would it be worth while?
what would be a good single crown fork to go with?

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
I think strength would no longer be an issue these days, my only concern with them would be stiction through flex, but again with the 66s, totems, travis and suchlike well thats no issue either.Axle to crown height could be a problem, but I think most have addressed that now.
So if you can get the damping and adjustability you want then....

....If it makes your rig more versatile for other uses, its a good thing, in my opinion. And obviously there could be a weight advantage in there. For club to state, even national level DH I think they'd be fine, mayhaps not if you're running for worldcup podiums.

Be careful of the "works for amiel" argument as he could probably win on a tricycle.

TomHelly

Likes Dirt
totems are rank ugly blots on the front of any bike, im running the 180mm
07 66RC2X's on my shore 1, they feel great
nice and smooth through the first few inches and a nice ramp up with the high speed damping
get some and see how it goes
gav, if i see you at the next race you can have a spin on my bike

sit_still

Likes Dirt
ive got 06 marzocchi 66vf2 things, they fell great, ive done everything with them that my mates have done with there triple clamps, feel strong as hell, no flex, no complaints, cant see why more people arent opting for single crowns with the travel and rigidity they have now

allstar

Likes Dirt
nice and smooth through the first few inches and a nice ramp up with the high speed damping
yea that would be great. altho i was thinking more domain, simply because of cost.

RideHard

Likes Bikes
Yeah, does anyone have an opinion on the new Domains? I was looking at them as they aren't too expensive and have some mad travel and asjustability.

grego

Likes Bikes
As for what "Ridehard" said i am running the 07 domain 318's on my 07 bighit 2. all though i am looking around for some dual crowns i have found the domains to feel very very nice, i do more DH then anything and they feel almost as good as dual crowns and very strong, no flex. Everynow and then i go and ride around at the local bmx track and still have a heap of fun because of the domain's motion control system. although I have not raced yet i am going to be racing very soon if current injuries permit :p .

Hope it helps.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm not a single crown fan for DH,I see no bennefit for DH as asked.
They may be better for doing tricks but that's it I recon.
Less room for fork internals.
Possibly less overlap.
Might be as stiff but I question longevity.
The energy must go somewhere and if they're that stiff then the frame will cop it harder.
They'res no weight bennefit to be gained.
Look at all the 66s for sale.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Crashings seems to be the only thing that pisses me off about them. As they quite happily spin around 180 and make it pain in the arse when your trying to get back on and your cables are round the wrong way, so you can't steer, or your hosing has shit itself.

Although this won't apply to alot of farkin members just french people such as myself.

so, you bag out the totems for looks, mention nothing of their performance qualities, and then say the 66's feel great but mention nothing of their looks ?

well done.

you've obviously done a lengthy comparison testing the two forks against each other.

Might be as stiff but I question longevity.
The energy must go somewhere and if they're that stiff then the frame will cop it harder.
They'res no weight bennefit to be gained.
what makes you question longevity ?

and your point about the stiffness is hypocritical - how is it different to a stiff dual crown fork in terms of energy transferred to the frame ?

frames even come with a warranty saying that dc forks can't be used on this frame because of the extra stresses they transfer.

as far as i can see, dc forks by design, if we are to talk ripping head tube out, will use the top bearing like a pivot & lever the bottom of the head tube.

No Skid Marks

I don't know how to edit the quotes with bold italics so my answers are just in the quote below.
what makes you question longevity ?
All the forces are put through one crown.

and your point about the stiffness is hypocritical - how is it different to a stiff dual crown fork in terms of energy transferred to the frame ?
Most of the force is put on the bottom headset.

frames even come with a warranty saying that dc forks can't be used on this frame because of the extra stresses they transfer.
I's say that's because origonally dual crown meant more travel ,and
more hardcore abilities.

as far as i can see, dc forks by design, if we are to talk ripping head tube out, will use the top bearing like a pivot & lever the bottom of the head tube.
Think about that some more.
Big single crowns will be forced apon us I'm guessing so it doesn't really matter anyway.
1.5 and single crowns have no bennefit accept for doing bar spins or ridding really really tight stuff(why would you on a big fork?),1.5 is good for making frames(stronger tube junction with larger welding area). that's it,any other bennefits have a compromise oto some degree that makes the bennefit arguable,IMO.

Last edited:
Big single crowns will be forced apon us I'm guessing so it doesn't really matter anyway.
1.5 and single crowns have no bennefit accept for doing bar spins or ridding really really tight stuff(why would you on a big fork?),1.5 is good for making frames(stronger tube junction with larger welding area). that's it,any other bennefits have a compromise oto some degree that makes the bennefit arguable,IMO.
1.5, much greater surface weld area = stronger.

i'm with you however, i mean ffs, who actually locks their crowns on a full-on dh run ?

personally i can't fathom why more companies aren't offering both steerer tube sizes as an option to their forks, as well as why 1.5 head tube's aren't common place. it's not as is you can't buy headsets, or reducer headsets for them. i can't actually see a disadvantage in doing it, you can even thin out your tubes as well as butt them, to cut some weight off & still have a greater surface weld area than a 1.125.

is it so stupid as to say a 1.5 steerer dual crown fork ? i can't see a problem with that at all, stiffness ahoy.

No Skid Marks

I mentioned the weld area.
Frames should be made from steel if metal and 1 1/8th is plenty strong enough,even as aluminium it's strong enough really as the frame is probably not that much stronger anyway or past it's used by if broken by Joe Blow anyway.
1.5 can have a low stack hight with 11/8th reducer so that's a big plus I didn't mention but hardly worth it.
Stronger but where do you draw the line,it's not needed strength and therfore added weight.
1 1/4 was nearly the norm but killed off by marketing.
1.5 will be good for stronger frames but it doesn't tip the balance really.
Giant and other companies were pushing 1.5 about 7 years ago for better frame construction.
Forget 1.5 just build steel bikes and be done with it.

I mentioned the weld area.
Frames should be made from steel if metal and 1 1/8th is plenty strong enough,even as aluminium it's strong enough really as the frame is probably not that much stronger anyway or past it's used by if broken by Joe Blow anyway.
1.5 can have a low stack hight with 11/8th reducer so that's a big plus I didn't mention but hardly worth it.
Stronger but where do you draw the line,it's not needed strength and therfore added weight.
1 1/4 was nearly the norm but killed off by marketing.
1.5 will be good for stronger frames but it doesn't tip the balance really.
Giant and other companies were pushing 1.5 about 7 years ago for better frame construction.
Forget 1.5 just build steel bikes and be done with it.
1.5 can actually make it lighter & stronger at the same time...

or just lots lighter.

although your point about giant my be valid, it's really only just starting to become commonplace...

and many alloys have a higher strength/weight ratio than steel, titanium being twice as strong, 6061 alloy being 3/5 stronger, for the same weight.

density is irrelevant, tubes can be thickened inwards ridiculously.

No Skid Marks

Please tell me of an instance of 1.5 being lighter(I'm interested).
I said Alluminium not alloy. Steels used are alloys too,any mixed metals are.
As for Alluminium,strong and blah blah but short life span,what a waste,I was just having a stab anyway(off topic so is 1.5,SORRY LET'S GET BACK).
Single crowns can look cool.

Last edited:

paulie

Likes Bikes
Unless you need the steering why would you bother? Especially on a DH bike. Of course you could throw in some X-UP style mid run.

You can gurantee that a double crown will outlast a single for DH runs.

All the major manufactures warranty front end of frames longer than swingarms on a DH bike. Why would you be worried about cracking welds on a headtube. I would rather have to get a new frame/ get one welded than have a single crown shit itself.

Technically a 1.5 headtube should be superior for strength and weight (cannondale have done it for ever...they crack elsewhere).

Please tell me of an instance of 1.5 being lighter(I'm interested).
I said Alluminium not alloy. Steels used are alloys too,any mixed metals are.
As for Alluminium,strong and blah blah but short life span,what a waste,I was just having a stab anyway(off topic so is 1.5,SORRY LET'S GET BACK).
Single crowns can look cool.
well i'm not sure we can really do a comparison seeing as i know of no frames that come in a 1.5 & 1.125 head tube option but, in theory greater surface weld area = greater strength.

if you've got a thicker tube then obviously you have more weld area.

lets just put it as top tube - head tube.

if you've got a bigger head tube then you can thin out your top tube all the way along & cut weight, & still end up with just as much surface weld area, get me ?

No Skid Marks

Yes but the tube and weld are thinner,and is the tube lighter,stronger,tougher?

Last edited: