Single speed commuter build project

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New build project!
A frame set which I procured, which is in shocking condition. Stickered up. Built it up and love it, so I have decided to build it up propperly and give it a raw job to flaunt the sexy 6061 aircraft aluminium.
...plus a few raunchy parts to go with.
So strip time and rebuild. Good bone structure. Mechanically A1. Uni break so I have a bit of time.
Here she is.

Original pain job is shot. Flaking and peeling off. Down to factory primer/sealer.

Some nice gouges where you'd be looking.

Internally routed cables. Decent bone structure. Early signs of oxidising. Should be able to save it.

blurgh!

Final Product

SPEC
Frame - Giant Peloton 8400 - 1.315kg - $FREE.00
Front fork - Giant Peloton 8400 - $FREE.00
Handlebars - BBB fibertop - RRP $79.95
Stem - Basic 1" quill, single pinch bolt - $FREE.00
Headset - Specialized 1" threaded ball bearing - $FREE.00
Grips - Foamies - RRP $10.00
Saddle - Selle Italia Filante Saddle - RRP $40.00
Seatpost - Token mono-Q - RRP $90.00
Front brake - Dia-Compe BRS101 - Ebay - $65.00 (for front and rear)
Rear brake - Dia-Compe BRS101 - Ebay - $65.00 (for front and rear)
Levers - Avid Speed Dial 7 - RRP $45.00
Cranks - Token Mono-Q Road 172.5mm 53t - RRP $350?
Chain - Shimano HG93 with dummy link - RRP $50.00
Tensioner - Fireeye Spur - RRP $60.00
Jockey Wheel - KCNC - RRP $30.00
SS Kit - A2Z 18t - $FREE.00 with Token Lockring - RRP $10.00
Cage bolts - KCNC and Brand-X - RRP $10.00 ($30.00)
Chainring Bolts - Brand-X - RRP $20.00
Wheelset: - RRP $200.00
Front hub - FSA Ball bearing
Rear hub - FSA ball bearing
Front rim - FSA with BBB rimstrip
Rear rim - FSA with BBB rimstrip
Spokes - Straight gadge silver
Nipples - Unknown
Tyres - Michelin Pro Race Slick - $50.00 ($100.00)
Tubes - Merick - RRP $8.00 ($16.00)
Skewers - Token Titanium - RRP $100.00
Total weight - 7.670kg (without pedals)

Attachments

Last edited:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Progress report!
Hit the forks with some paint stripper and vairous grades of sand paper. Several hours later and I'm getting a pretty good idea as to how the rest of the bike is going to look.
Need to decide on whether I want a brushed look or a polished look... or somewhere in between.
The joins are very smooth considering the age of the frame. Small signs of epoxy at the joins but very clean joining work by Giant. All in all, quite pleasing!
Next stop, Frame!

Before strip:

<3 Add some paint stripper

The gentle sheen of a nicely polished fork!

Attachments

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool! What paint stripper did you use?
Diggers! Cheapo from Bunnings but does the job nicely! Just used a fairly soft bristled paint brush to apply liberally. Works before your eyes! Very satisfying material to use. More than enough to 100% strip 2 frames and forks down to nothing.

Attachments

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Rockin' - thanks for the information :)

Just picked up a Voodoo Dambala frame & can't stand the colour...well, the colour is ok, but I want gloss black! I will pick up some stripper from Bunnings tomorrow.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Love threads like this! So inspiring, makes me want to get stuck into a project myself.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Nice work!

mcbeath94

Likes Bikes
Looks awesome mate! Thinking about doing the same with my DH frame. How hard was it too get the forks looking like that? Did you have to do any other prep?

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks awesome mate! Thinking about doing the same with my DH frame. How hard was it too get the forks looking like that? Did you have to do any other prep?
Good to have such a positive response! The forks are pictured at a stage after probably 3 or 4 hours of love from the original paint. Still needs to be sealed to prevent oxidising etc. Strongly reccomend the use of a wire brush for those tricky to reach places.
Prep... Removed the stickers before hand as from previous experiences, paint stripper doesn't remove the plastic of a sticker. Just banged the stuff on. Let it set in and then hosed off. Hit it with a steel brush. Reapplication for layers of paint and primer. Plus some areas just need extra encouragement.
Good light and ventilation is the key. Maybe a mask, eye protection and gloves. Careful with the brush as you can flick paint stripper into you eyes and onto the mercedes etc. (advise against it).

To my understanding, there are threads within the forum specific to rawing frames etc. I may be mistaken but there should be.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stripping down and ready to get raw! Pun intended.

So I embarked on the bulk of the project, keen to get started yet feeling slightly reserved about the sheer volume of work ahead of me. Time to sink my teeth into it...

Count-down begins.
Removed the pictured headset cups later that day. 1" cups required a trip to work as I only had a 1 1/8" driver at home. A failed battle with a flat head screw driver and hammer resulted in a thumping sore hand and some bad words.

Frame stripped of ALL parts, I quickly snuck in a quick weigh-in before the strip. Keen to see the weight difference!

Captain Bubble Frame...

Attachments

Last edited:

mountain_man(1)

Likes Dirt
I have to say, for whatever reason, your paint s.ripper seems to be doing a far better job than mine did. Polishing alu is the worst manual job i've done to date. took me prob 30hrs to get my frame all done. I'll get round to posting pictures one day.

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
Diggers! Cheapo from Bunnings but does the job nicely! Just used a fairly soft bristled paint brush to apply liberally. Works before your eyes! Very satisfying material to use. More than enough to 100% strip 2 frames and forks down to nothing.
what price$$$ for this stuff are we looking at?

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So here is the frame!
Terrible photos due to terrible light due to terrible weather preventing me from taking the frame outside to photograph. So stuck inside my FILTHY garrage/studio/workshop. Seems worse in photos though. ANYWAY...

Gust guard. A presonal reccomendation by the kind gentleman in the paint section of Bunnings. Seals her up and saves the frame from oxidisation. Apparently. The proof will be in the pudding I guess. I finished with some clean finishing sandpaper work, Removed any debris from the frame i.e. dust/aluminium sandings, degreassed with some isopropyl alcohol, applied 3 good clean coats, allowed drying time between etc. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't work!

Now to seal the forks up too, and build her up!

Attachments

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Cool!

That Bunning paint stripper sure works ok - whilst it didn't pull the paint off like in your photos, I managed to strip off more than 95% in a couple of hours. Bike frames are a fiddly thing to work on...

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some before and after shots!
How much weight did I save by stripping the paint and sanding? Heaps right? No. Almost nothing! Some 30 grams. And I am yet to apply some fresh stickers. So There goes any real weight advantage anyway. Let's not forget that weight saving was never the key interest.

Before:

After:

And a little detail...
Before:

During:

After:

Attachments

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks beautiful, love rawed frames, and this is a perfect example. show us the raunchy new parts to go on :)
Ask and you shall recieve!

Carbon wrap cranks! 172.5mm. Yum!

...and a Dura-Ace preload screw.

Poetry in motion.

Spesh headset. Cleaned up nice.

All the nice little details coming together now. Plugs in the frame. Looks nice. I like the black on silver. Internally routed cables. Lovely.

My goodness! Is that a full carbon Token Mono-Q post? Yes Sir!

Selle Italia saddle. As light as the day is long. Magnesium rails.

And for dessert, some yummy Token Titanium skewers. Be jealous!

...Satisfyed enough Leighcosa?!?!

Attachments