Single Speed gearing

CHEWY

Eats Squid
ive tried doing a search and didnt come up with much
so, what gearing do u run, and what type of riding do u do?
at the moment ive got 36:16 on 24" wheels, but with a 3" tyre on the back and a 5" fork up front riding up any hill is absolutly killa...
so what gearing combination do u find works best for doing just about everything?
im lovin SS at the moment, so simple, so quiet and so clean lookin...
any suggestions?

Rik

logged out
On my DK, I'm running 36:18, and that's a bit painful...
On my old DiamondBack (rip :() I had 42:19, and that was perfect for commuting. On my current roadie I've got 39:17, it's a touch too big, but I'll cope.

For you, I'd reccomend going 2:1 or less, so run a 36:16, or even a 36:17.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
on the 125 fuzzy
rik, why is 36:18 painful on the DK? that sounds about what id like to run my 125 at... although top end speed would start to be a bit lacking
how much do new chainrings cost?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
andrew said:
36:17

but its way too womanly, going 36:14 asap
36:14! what the hell for? that would be impossible to pedal anywhere

yes i still have the axioms, but i want to replace the rear chainwheel not the front one...
wanna swap your 17 for my 16? :p

Rik

logged out
CHEWY said:
rik, why is 36:18 painful on the DK?
Because it's such a small, cramped up bike. I'm fine with sprints (as I've proven on our city rides), but extended riding sux.

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CHEWY said:
andrew said:
36:17

but its way too womanly, going 36:14 asap
36:14! what the hell for? that would be impossible to pedal anywhere

yes i still have the axioms, but i want to replace the rear chainwheel not the front one...
wanna swap your 17 for my 16? :p
i max out the 36:17 all the time...
i guess comming from 42:17 did it to me...

i have 3 split casettes, i have any cog u need :mrgreen:

Ty

Eats Squid
i'm probably be going to run a 25/10 or 25/9 when i get my new wheelset (if the chain clears the brakes, but probably wont and i'll run 33:12), but you gotta remember to measure rations in gear inchs, not just cog combos.

wheel size really comes into play here.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
hmm... i think i better stop being a little bitch and get into shape. thanks all
on a side note, if anyone wants to swap a smaller Kujo DH for my 3" give me a yell

wonderllama

Likes Dirt
sup , i got a 125 too chewy i got 24 inch rear with a 2.5 tyre on the bak i run single speed, im pretty sure mine is 38:11 n its perfect for everything, at bmx track i can get enough speed for all the jumps. n for dh no worries.i got 4 inch fork on the front which is pretty plush i can make it up hill fairly easy.

I run a 36/16 which is perfect for speedy singletrack and spinning along the flats. Downhills it doesnt work, but hey, thats what one gear is all about.