Single speed hubs/axles question

timmo

Likes Dirt
I bought a single speed frame cheap a few months back and have it basically set up, but am having a few issues with it.
My set up is as follows:
- single-speed specific frame, with horizontal backward facing fork ends/dropouts and builtin chain tensioner screws.
- still using a QR axle on the hub.
- an existing 9 speed hub converted to single speed with a DMR single speed kit (16T + spacers).
- rear disc brakes.

The problem I'm having is that the chain tensioner screws don't work well on the axle, as it is QR and just a bit too short.
I don't particularly want to replace the hub (and hence get the wheel rebuilt) if I can help it.
Ideally I would like to keep it QR (for ease of removal), but I don't really mind either way.
I was wondering mainly if you can put a solid axle into a hub meant for QR skewers?
Or if you can get parts designed specifically to address this problem?

Any help/suggetsions would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Tim

rone

Eats Squid
Unfortunately the only luck i've had with horizontal dropouts is with nutted hubs. QRs don't torque down firm enough to stop moving, tensioners or not.

You may get lucky with a generic chromoly solid 10mm rear axle if the thread pitch matches your QR axle. Best bet is to take the wheel to a few LBS' and see if they can match it up.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
I bought a single speed frame cheap a few months back and have it basically set up, but am having a few issues with it.
My set up is as follows:
- single-speed specific frame, with horizontal backward facing fork ends/dropouts and builtin chain tensioner screws.
- still using a QR axle on the hub.
- an existing 9 speed hub converted to single speed with a DMR single speed kit (16T + spacers).
- rear disc brakes.

The problem I'm having is that the chain tensioner screws don't work well on the axle, as it is QR and just a bit too short.
I don't particularly want to replace the hub (and hence get the wheel rebuilt) if I can help it.
Ideally I would like to keep it QR (for ease of removal), but I don't really mind either way.
I was wondering mainly if you can put a solid axle into a hub meant for QR skewers?
Or if you can get parts designed specifically to address this problem?

Any help/suggetsions would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Tim
Tim,

If you're using a Shimano hub (10mm axle) or a generic Taiwanese hub (usually 9.5mm axle) which is a cup-and-cone bearing system, then you can replace the threaded axle with a longer one for use with axle nuts. Wheels Manufacturing axles are high quality and available in the sizes you need. You should be able to get them through your LBS or online. 174mm is a common length for nutted axles. This should help with your retention problem.

http://wheelsmfg.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=469&Itemid=32

Charlie

timmo

Likes Dirt
Cheers James (rone) and Charlie,

It's actually the frame I bought from you James.
I got the new Santa Cruz Chameleon just after I set it up, so the SS hasn't been out on a serious ride yet. :)
I took it for a bit of a spin yesterday arvo, and noticed this issue, though I figured it may be a problem when I set it up.

I'll have a look around and see about axles - I think it's a Formula hub from memory.