Single Speed Series - Vic

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
This discussion was started in a different thread about a serious SS Nats.
An idea formed and a concept has emerged.
A few silly buggers started chatting and next thing you know the reality of the idea is staring us in the face.
That idea is a short series of 4 races for Single Speed only across Victoria.
There are a few discussions underway regarding venues and a few possible sponsors have expressed interest.
There is nothing set in concrete and even what format any race series will take is yet to be decided.
So what do people think?
Would you take part in a single speed series?
Would a SS race nearby tempt you to ditch your gears and give it a go?
How serious should it be? (lets face it, beer tent is good tent)

Let us know what your thoughts are.

Cheers
MH

akashra

Eats Squid
Given your demographic and the atmosphere you might usually expect of SS events, maybe you'd do well to run it at a venue that supports on-site camping (or somewhere that has cabins etc) near a brewery.
I would suggest, however, keep ambitions simple for the first year, to see how it goes and whether it's financially sustainable. If that means it needs to be three rounds instead of four, it may be better to find out if it will succeed first, and how far people are willing to travel. The success of the nats may be because it's a once-per-year thing, so might not necessarily translate across when there's more events. Just look what's happening with XC in general - the saturation of events has reduced races from being able to comfortably take 450-800 entries, to some of those same events barely scraping 200-250.

scubasully

Likes Bikes
Given your demographic and the atmosphere you might usually expect of SS events, maybe you'd do well to run it at a venue that supports on-site camping (or somewhere that has cabins etc) near a brewery.
I would suggest, however, keep ambitions simple for the first year, to see how it goes and whether it's financially sustainable. If that means it needs to be three rounds instead of four, it may be better to find out if it will succeed first, and how far people are willing to travel. The success of the nats may be because it's a once-per-year thing, so might not necessarily translate across when there's more events. Just look what's happening with XC in general - the saturation of events has reduced races from being able to comfortably take 450-800 entries, to some of those same events barely scraping 200-250.

Yes sounds awesome

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like a good idea, but when you say 'series' I'm thinking of racing around a set course in a set location [insert sleeply smily here] , yeah it's fun but I did a few of these gravel grinders earlier in year lots of fun, great terrain and you can incorporate single track into them and have some interesting stops along the way with a festival like atmosphere. I know it's a bit out out the square thinking ... but that's the kind of event I would do, as SS aren't necessarily about going fast and winning the race which the traditional race format supports.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
We had a single speed series in Canberra, run by Mal, but it seems to have diminished. Was good while it lasted and the right mix of competition and fun.

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
on the same day can we have a bit of cross, bit of dirt crit, bit of fun, bit of skid comp, bit of kids races.

no sheep stations involved.

akashra

Eats Squid
I reckon if you could combine Singlespeed and Cyclocross at the same event, given the demographics and craziness tend to be much the same, you could be on to a winning formula for regional areas. However do you want to run CX in dry, Summer conditions?

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
on the same day can we have a bit of cross, bit of dirt crit, bit of fun, bit of skid comp, bit of kids races.

no sheep stations involved.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
I reckon if you could combine Singlespeed and Cyclocross at the same event, given the demographics and craziness tend to be much the same, you could be on to a winning formula for regional areas. However do you want to run CX in dry, Summer conditions?
Add a kids pool water hazard or two. Enough splashing from that over a couple of laps and you'll end up with a mud bath.

Knut

Troll hunter
Simple and Single

Yeah I aggree Steve. There is enough other disciplin and formulas already out there. Time to give this a go.

akashra

Eats Squid
There's already a cyclocross series. That is going nicely. Leave it as it is.
There are two CX series in Metro Melbourne, but it's not exactly widely available outside the CBD.
Besides, the point was there merely that the event needs to have a viable subscriber base to cover both its attendance and financial viability. It might not be CX; hell it might be unicycles for all I care. If it can be achieved without a supporting event, fantastic! But if you're talking a SS series to be run across Victoria - not across Metro Melbourne, you're going to want to be pretty sure it's going to meet expectations, of which aren't really defined as of yet.

You don't want to think you have a winning idea and find you run four events where only 30 riders attend and the host clubs make a massive loss. I guess what I'm asking is how certain are you that you could get enough SS people to travel, outside it having come up in a thread on Rotorburn? How many riders do you realistically expect to enter, and how many do you think are necessary to make it worth running?

adz

Likes Dirt
The series will be sponsored by bubble o bill ice creams.
Dates will be advised in advance. Race locations will be emailed to those keen to race...the day before the race. None usual mountain bike locations will be used.
Prizes will be given to those who smile a lot and positively affirm others.
Extracts from Adam Smiths "an inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations" and Marx's "Das Kapital" will be read over the PA while peeps race. At the conclusion of racing a debate will be held to decide who had their shit together:- Smith or Marx?
Entry will be through donation to the Greens Party. Here greens.org.au

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are two CX series in Metro Melbourne, but it's not exactly widely available outside the CBD.
Besides, the point was there merely that the event needs to have a viable subscriber base to cover both its attendance and financial viability. It might not be CX; hell it might be unicycles for all I care. If it can be achieved without a supporting event, fantastic! But if you're talking a SS series to be run across Victoria - not across Metro Melbourne, you're going to want to be pretty sure it's going to meet expectations, of which aren't really defined as of yet.

You don't want to think you have a winning idea and find you run four events where only 30 riders attend and the host clubs make a massive loss. I guess what I'm asking is how certain are you that you could get enough SS people to travel, outside it having come up in a thread on Rotorburn? How many riders do you realistically expect to enter, and how many do you think are necessary to make it worth running?
Don't stress Tim. It's in good hands. If it is a success great, if it fails, so what, we tried.

This seems to have gone quiet...
I personally would be very keen for a 'serious' SS series. (serious race, followed by serious beer).
Like someone said earlier, you could have post race events like skid comps etc and presentations at a local pub/brewery and encourage people to stay the night.
I know a few others who would be keen too. A few guys I know from the courier/alley cat scene are starting to get into the SS MTB thing.
If the races were within say, 1.5 hours of Melbourne I reckon you'd get a few of those types to boost the field.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Things are moving slowly, but they are moving.
It hasn`t helped that I`ve gone and done myself a mischief while racing my SS at the local club race.
Bugger.
What has been organised so far is:-
- 2 definite venues available
- 1 venue 99% sure
- Chasing down a 4th venue
- An idea of a format for the series

Things are getting a bit busy now so I wouldn`t expect too much progress until early in the New Year, but going by the interest and support expressed so far, it will happen.

Cheers.
MH