Sinister Splinter ER XC Drive train choice

timrob

Likes Dirt
Hello All,

I have been slowly building up a Sinister Splinter ER XC frame over the past few weeks, but i don't know what to do with the drive train.

Currently spec is:

Frame: Sinister Splinter ER XC
Rear Shock: 5th Element (stock)
Front Forks: Fox 32RL 100
HeadSet: Hope Threadless
Handlebars: Easton EA70 Flat Bar
Stem: Easton EA70 100mm
SeatPost: Easton EA70 30.9mm x 350mm
Saddle: Fizik Tundra
Brakes (F & R): Avid Juicy 7's
Wheels: (next on the list)

This is my first bike that i have built up, the forks have been pillaged from my Scott Scale but there is scope in the future to replace these with some 120mm travel forks.
As for the drive train im looking at SRAM X.9, with Truvativ Stylo Cranks or a XT/SLX build any recommendations?
Also was considering going to a double front ring set up, but with a more XC orientated chain ring sizes , any thoughts on this?
I don't have a massive budget but at the same time i want some quality components. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tim

Shredden

Knows his goats
I you arn't great at gear tuning dont buy shimano they need pretty regular tuning.

I have an XT shadow rear mech and cannot fault it. SLX cranks are sweet as well.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do shimano need more regular tuning over anything else? :confused:

Id be putting probably (depending on budget) and good XT outfit on it.
The brakes are good, cranks are great, so are the gears/shifters etc.

On the other hand Sram X9 are a good solution as well.

All of these are of very good quality and will last you a while if maintained well. There are cheaper options which are still good, but its like everything you get what you pay for.

Should turn out a nice ride when its done. Be sure to post some piccies up!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm a Shimano fanboy simply because their stuff is more reliable than the equivalent SRAM offerings. And to be honest, when you get up to XT/X9 level there isn't much to tell them apart in terms of 'feel'.

So...

Spend the extra to get the XT shifters, they're essentially the XTR shifters from a couple of years ago and they rock. Get the SLX deraileurs and cranks, they're essentially the old XT stuff and are a decent weight and price. Wipperman 908 or KMC X9 for the chain. Don't forget to drill out the cable holders and run full gear cable housing.

Double ring saves you stuff all weight and just complicates matters as you have to find a suitably sized smaller ring, put spacers in to adjust the chain line etc etc.

Don't bother with changing the fork you don't need the extra 20mm for XC. If they don't have enough compression for you then change the oil weight in the forks.

Finally just be careful of the o-ring on the crown race of the Hope headset. If that perishes then the bottow bearing will get wet and start to rust.

timrob

Likes Dirt
Much appreciated for your inputs, pretty sure all mechs need adjustment over time, most of the time its dependent on cable stretch anyway rather than the mech itself!

Has anyone had any experience with twist shifters? the idea seams sound (up until your screaming down a hill hanging on for dear life) but the biggest up is the cost compared to triggers? thoughts?

Shimano is great gear dont get me wrong, the abuse i have given the Scott is a credit that it still runs smooth (with some TLC)! but i also like SRAM a lot, as i run this on my road bike and its brilliant, would be keen to hear some other peoples thoughts on SRAM MTB gear as i have had no experience with it.

Ill start taking some photos when it becomes one piece, currently its a smattering of parts across the living room floor!

Has anyone had any experience with twist shifters? the idea seams sound (up until your screaming down a hill hanging on for dear life) but the biggest up is the cost compared to triggers? thoughts?

Shimano is great gear dont get me wrong, the abuse i have given the Scott is a credit that it still runs smooth (with some TLC)! but i also like SRAM a lot, as i run this on my road bike and its brilliant, would be keen to hear some other peoples thoughts on SRAM MTB gear as i have had no experience with it.

Ill start taking some photos when it becomes one piece, currently its a smattering of parts across the living room floor!
Personally not much of a fan of the grip shift set ups. Worry about the accidental mis-shift after having a bit of a moment on friend's bike. Figure it's easier and safer to twiddle my thumb to shift when am maching along;)

My hardtail is XT equipped and my DH running SRAM X9, and while they both perform almost equally as well as each other I still prefer SRAM. For me, the SRAM shifter and derailleur just have a much more definite and precise shift to them than the XT & XT Shadow combo I'm running on the HT.

My two 2 cents.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Similar toshake rattle and roll I run X9 on my DH bike and XT on my XC hardtail, both have been exceptional in terms of shifting reliability etc.

It comes down to preference, they're both top quality stuff and I'm sure they'll serve you well provided they are maintained correctly.

I you arn't great at gear tuning dont buy shimano they need pretty regular tuning.

I have an XT shadow rear mech and cannot fault it. SLX cranks are sweet as well.
You just did...?

timrob

Likes Dirt
Fantastic, might get into the SRAM side of the equation then, just need to start saving the dollars so i can do it properly first time!
For those of you that run X.9 what cranks have you matched them with? I was originally looking at Truvativ Stylo cranks, but guaranteed there are some quality cranks for a reasonable price (RaceFace, FSA etc). Any thoughts?